The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor daughter. I didn't realize I had never talked to her about Lamanchas. She saw a picture of one I was looking at on craigslist and she said "MOM why did they CUT it's ears off that is so mean". :whatgoat: :eek::mad: I said,"Baby, they are born that way, no one cut their ears off." She was like, "Oh". :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I understand why y'all would think that, people cut dogs ears and tails on a lot of breeds. Dock horses tails in certain disciplines. It is a logical assumption!! I just can't believe she and I have never talked about Lamanchas, we've been at this for a good little while now.

·
1,524 Posts
I know a lot of people who thought the Lamanchas had their ears clipped. It is sort of a logical thought, given that goats are supposed to have ears! I sort of think they look like aliens.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
:slapfloor: too funny ! When I first saw a LaMancha baby I only saw a picture of her head , someone emailed it to me to guess what it was.....I couldn't figure it out at all , lol. I thought it was a little alien too ;)
Even when we were going to pick out our first goats , a baby Manchi picked me out and kept coming to me . I wanted her so much ,but my husband didn't like them that much then , so we didn't take her :( I still regret that decision even now ! But I as thrilled with my babies anyway. The dairy I went to ended up keeping her , they say she is a wonderful milker too.

I am in love with LaManchas now , like you didn't know , lol
But all breeds of goats to me are just stunning ;).

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I never thought they had their ears cut. I remember my lamancha was one of the first 3 goats I purchased, I thought she was cool and looked up 'no eared goat breed' lol. My brother on the other hand, he took one look at her and nothing I said would make him belive thats a breed lol.

·
14,760 Posts
LOL!! I have had that happen. My kids asked why people would do that, and I told them that they were born that way.
I've heard non goat people I know say 'yeah I don't agree with cutting off their horns, but I think it's cruel when they cut off their ears.' I just LMBO.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
LaManchas are a stunning breed , you should be very proud :)
Congrats on getting your first Machie , you will love her !!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I to thought that someone had cut their ears off the first time I saw one. I now have two, Peggy mama and Cha-Cha. I am absolutely in love with Manchas. My youngest daughter thinks Cha-Cha looks like a raptor, she is a solid black beauty, and when she looks at you, you just wonder what kind of trouble she is planning. Peggy mama is a very calm and loving thing. She attaches herself to my hip whenever I go out to the pasture.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The last of my "little earred" goaties went to his new home last night. I'm kind of sad but it was a good home and I needed his stall for the retained doelings from this year. I'm going to miss having him around to make people go "WHAT IS THAT??" hehe.

I still have a half-mancha, but she has airplane ears like her mama.

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
I love their ears, it makes 'em look kinda goofy. My favorite ear-style is gopher because it looks like they have no ears at all. :p
I would love a LaMancha doe, but it would just be another buck to find to breed her. And the chances of someone giving us a buck/wether as gift...... not very high. :sigh: Alpines and Angoras will do, though. lol :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
My husband recently was talking to me and said it is cruel to cut a goats ears off. :) so he thought the same thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts