Their house is always wet!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Erin80, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    Their house is completely leak proof, but yet their straw and woodchips underneath are constantly so wet. They have been spending a lot of time in there just eating hay all day as it has been raining/snowing for days. Do goats pee a lot?? Their water is secured on the wall, so can’t tip over. I throw new straw in all the time because it’s always so damp. Maybe it’s from them running in and out with wet feet? I’m having to totally change their house bedding every few days.....is this common? They’re 13 weeks old, we have 3....all NDG’s!

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Yes, they pee a lot.
    I find if the temperatures are above freezing it feels damp. The colder it gets, the drier their bedding stays. With deep bedding, I have to add more dry straw on top moreso on mild days, so the goats don’t lie in wetor damp straw.
    Do you have ventilation in their hoise?

3. MadHouse

4. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    Yes, good ventilation in there and the door is open from about 7am - 5pm or when it gets dark.

5. MadHouse

Then it is their pee and the humidity.

6. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    I hate that it’s so damp in there so quickly. I don’t like them living in that. I clean it a lot!

MadHouse likes this.
  7. MadHouse

I feel the same way. Luckily we usually have colder weather, but when itis mild, that bugs me too. Lots of fresh bedding.

Jubillee likes this.
  8. Do you have dirt floors? Sometimes if it rains a lot, it can seep up. Otherwise, I agree, lots of pee. You need to have ventilation to keep it fresh. Ours are indoor on a wood floor but when it's rainy a lot, I have to keep the house up because they're inside a lot and peeing so much. I use a lot of lime and shavings lol.

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Are you sure there is no leaky water line under the most wet spots? And run off water can also be part of the problem as well. They do pee a lot too. Mine tend to pee in the same few spots so i make sure to clean those spots more often.

I did kinda a trial thing with mine in their pee spot.. which happens to be right by the hangin hay rack... i cleaned it really good and kept anything off of it for a week and a good layer of pdz. I only put down shavings In two spots. They started using those spots more. I just didnt want the pee spot by the hay rack because of time spent there and wet hooves. But now it is cold so the deep bedding is workin its way back. I still keep pdz in by the hay rack and keep it a more thin layer of bedding and loose hay there pretty good but they seem to be still using the spots that i made for them fairly well. I do clean the pee spots every other day usually but i do not put pdz in the pee spots. So they smell those spots and choose more often to go there for that business.

GoofyGoat, Jubillee and MadHouse like this.
  10. You can train them to pee in one spot. I did a trial the same way, shavings in one spot. However, I need to build a box or something to keep it contained as they spread it. I did try a kiddie pool and they used it properly (most did) but then some thought it should be their bed...even with soiled shavings...sooo...I ditched that.

This year I'm going to put in raised beds for them to lay on and try the pool things again, or a dedicated pee spot. And then sweep the poop out like before. During the non-rainy days they are out of the house more. I'm also considering making them an open-air covered area and closing the house itself off during the day in fair weather, then opening up at night. Of course in poor weather and cold winter days, I'd leave it open and do deep bedding.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    What size shelter and what type floor?

I have sandy gravel floor in my goat barn and it made all the difference to put roof gutters on it to get the roof runoff away from the doorways. I wish we had perched the goat barn a bit higher because there are definitely some spots where runoff causes soggy spots.

12. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Ugh, this is a problem for me too in my buck barn. I think run off is really the problem for me, so make sure that that isn't happening. If you are able to provide ledges and platforms for them to sleep on that's a really good way to insure they aren't sleeping in wetness in the event that the floor gets really wet for reasons of either pee or a freak rain incident.

Jubillee, happybleats and MadHouse like this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great suggestions and yes, goats do pee a lot.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    I think it’s their pee, after doing some reading.

Their house is raised up off the ground, wooden floor covered with linoleum. Definitely water proof from outdoor water and is totally leak proof (metal roof). Has a window but the window doesn’t open.

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. MadHouse

For our floor we used 2x6 boards like a deck. The pee can run down through the cracks. Of course, over time the wood swells and the gaps close, but I think it helps some anyway. I would think linoleum floor would keep it wetter maybe. :shrug:
    But it could also be that you are in a more humid climate.

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Does it smell badly of ammonia? Get down to their level and smell it. Also, do your knees get wet? If so, this may be your answer to your other post about the non stop screaming.

toth boer goats likes this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I have holes in the bottom of my dog house for the pee and air. Its also lifted off the floor.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. If you have a raised floor, then it's definitely pee. It will just have to be cleaned often...deep litter can work but still can have issues. You can use lime or PDZ under everything, then add some pine pellet bedding and then shavings or straw. That will help some...

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  19. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    We built a 24 inch shelf in our barns. we covered the shelf with rubber mats.
    Our goats love sleeping on there shelf.

20. mamski

mamski Goofy Dairy Goats

Oct 16, 2014
    Iowa Tristates area
    Mine will pee inside, right in front of me, then go outside...so frustrating! Wasted hay will hold more moisture than straw. You don't want to let it stay too moist in there because it can cause pneumonia. In winter when it gets really damp, I pull off a few layers of hay, put down a lot of barn lime (don't use any other lime, it'll be harmful to them!) Then I put a new thick layer of straw. I only take the top few layers in winter because I like to leave the base (which is usually dirt by the time I do it), because it provides additional insulation for our very cold winters. I give it a good clean out late spring or early summer.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.