The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our doe Thelma started limping on her right front leg last night. Won't put weight on it and looks like a rocking horse when she walks. Laying down a lot. But eating, drinking, pooping, peeing and following the herd. Nothing visibly wrong with the leg or hoof. No cuts or swelling. Could she have broken a bone or have a muscle injury?

I was thinking take temp, should we give banamine? Any advice? She is at the bottom of the herd so I was thinking separate her?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Temp, separate her. I personally wouldn't give banamine until I had a better idea of the situation. First see what her temp is.

Palpate the area for signs of pain especially to see if you can pinpoint a certain spot.

Is the leg bent or does it look funny at all?

Check the hoof as well. No rot or rocks?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Her temp was 101 last night and we separated her. She has alfalfa pellets and hay to eat and some oak leaves/blackberry bushes we picked. No bad smell to the hoof and no rocks or anything in it. Can't pinpoint a specific spot. When she is stressed she pretends that it is not injured but when she walks she hobbles holding the leg slightly above the ground. She got her head stuck in the "stall" (concrete floor, part of a pole barn) we separated her into last night so had to rig that up. She is very mad that she is separated. Going to put some liniment on her leg.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We put some liniment on her leg and let her back out to pasture. She hated being separated. Would xrays identify if she had injured her tendon?

We have had goats do this before and it always slowly healed. But that was a long time ago.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I am not sure, but you can ask a vet what they think.
Sometimes ultrasounds can pick up things too. So I would ask.

Keep it braced, but be sure it doesn't cut off her circulation.

I would put a buddy in with her so she doesn't stress out and hurt herself further.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How would we brace it? We have never done that.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update she is not limping any more. We put liniment on the leg a few times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts