The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Goats
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3-4 years ago we had got two pygmys form a guy and he said to us "They have not been bred. They have been no were near my buck" well. We had them for about 1-2 months and one morning I went to do feeding....one of the pygmys we named "Shaggy" because of her long hair. She. Had a kid half way out and what was out was dry..she had been there for a while. I ran to the houses to get things I needed to help her. So I ran back down there with my mom and I had to hold Shaggy down while my mom got the kid out...the kid was dead but looked fine. 5 hours later I was still with her but my mom came back to the house. Shaggy started to push and but nothing was happening. I new I had no time to waste so when I seen a hoof I grabed and held one while she pushed it took about 30-45 mins to get the second kid out and when we did it was too late. Two little black and white pretty baby girls. When the second kid came out she only took one breath..then she was gone. Just like 1 2 3.... It was hard to watch Shaggy lose both her babies. Bit what was even harder was lossing Shaggy... A couple days after she gave birth she had been bleeding really bad and on the third day...she was with her baby girls. That was my first kidding and it went awful... I miss my baby so much.....she was very close to my heart and still is.... I guess since I didn't even know she was carrying i did all I could have done..but still..馃ズ馃槶:cry:

Registered
I'm sorry for your experience and loss.

Registered
3-4 years ago we had got two pygmys form a guy and he said to us "They have not been bred. They have been no were near my buck" well. We had them for about 1-2 months and one morning I went to do feeding....one of the pygmys we named "Shaggy" because of her long hair. She. Had a kid half way out and what was out was dry..she had been there for a while. I ran to the houses to get things I needed to help her. So I ran back down there with my mom and I had to hold Shaggy down while my mom got the kid out...the kid was dead but looked fine. 5 hours later I was still with her but my mom came back to the house. Shaggy started to push and but nothing was happening. I new I had no time to waste so when I seen a hoof I grabed and held one while she pushed it took about 30-45 mins to get the second kid out and when we did it was too late. Two little black and white pretty baby girls. When the second kid came out she only took one breath..then she was gone. Just like 1 2 3.... It was hard to watch Shaggy lose both her babies. Bit what was even harder was lossing Shaggy... A couple days after she gave birth she had been bleeding really bad and on the third day...she was with her baby girls. That was my first kidding and it went awful... I miss my baby so much.....she was very close to my heart and still is.... I guess since I didn't even know she was carrying i did all I could have done..but still..馃ズ馃槶:cry:
I鈥檓 so sorry! That really sucks! The gap of time between the first and second should not be more than an hour... did Shaggy have weak contractions? Having weak contractions is actually a pretty common problem... I have a goat who has very weak ones, and I always make sure to help her as fast as I can. Again, I am so sorry.

Registered
Goats
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I鈥檓 so sorry! That really sucks! The gap of time between the first and second should not be more than an hour... did Shaggy have weak contractions? Having weak contractions is actually a pretty common problem... I have a goat who has very weak ones, and I always make sure to help her as fast as I can. Again, I am so sorry.
I don't even like it to be 25 mins between kids... No. they were hard and she would push and stop so sometimes she would not even push when she was having really bad contractions.

Registered
Goats
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heartbreaking.
It really is... As if lossing both little does wasn't bad enough..I lost Shaggy and two days after she died I lost my Boer buck that I had at the time....that was a really...really hard one to let go....he was so sweet and loved to stand by you and lick your hand to get you to pet him....at least all my babies are back together..:cry:

Fair-Haven
So sorry for your loss. It's so heartbreaking when things happen. From now on, if your doe is contracting and nothing presents after about 25 minutes, it's wise to go in and help baby come out not matter what. Also, make sure the doe passes the placenta less than 24 hours after kidding. There are things that can help her contract and expel the placenta. Provide lots of calcium support and make sure she is not deficient in selenium. Best wishes going forward.

Registered
Goats
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So sorry for your loss. It's so heartbreaking when things happen. From now on, if your doe is contracting and nothing presents after about 25 minutes, it's wise to go in and help baby come out not matter what. Also, make sure the doe passes the placenta less than 24 hours after kidding. There are things that can help her contract and expel the placenta. Provide lots of calcium support and make sure she is not deficient in selenium. Best wishes going forward.
She was so tight still even after going into labor there was no way I could go in without riping something so I just did the best i could at the time with the little knowledge i had. Boy I tell ya. I wish I knew what i know now back then...but things happen and we learn from our mistakes I guess...

Registered
I don't even like it to be 25 mins between kids... No. they were hard and she would push and stop so sometimes she would not even push when she was having really bad contractions.
Oh yes, weak contractions I think are a common problem with goats. I have one that I always need to help. And I don鈥檛 like more than thirty minutes between my kids either. It鈥檚 also good to remember that sometimes you need to apply what appears to be a lot of pressure on a kid. They can take it, they are stronger then they look.

Registered
Goats
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yes, weak contractions I think are a common problem with goats. I have one that I always need to help. And I don鈥檛 like more than thirty minutes between my kids either. It鈥檚 also good to remember that sometimes you need to apply what appears to be a lot of pressure on a kid. They can take it, they are stronger then they look.
Well yeah but....the kids were the size of my hand.....

Registered
Goats
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh wow! I did not know they were that small. That is tricky... is that a normal size for your kids?
From the ground to Shaggys shoulder was only about a foot and a half tall....her babies were soooo small I was so afraid of hurting them if they were still alive...

Registered
From the ground to Shaggys shoulder was only about a foot and a half tall....her babies were soooo small I was so afraid of hurting them if they were still alive...
Oh wow! I don鈥檛 think you would have hurt the babies... however, if I had been you, my main worry would have been tearing the vagina. I think you still did a great job of helping her, and I couldn鈥檛 have done better. 馃槉

Registered
Goats
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh wow! I don鈥檛 think you would have hurt the babies... however, if I had been you, my main worry would have been tearing the vagina. I think you still did a great job of helping her, and I couldn鈥檛 have done better. 馃槉
Thanks you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts