There's got to be a way....

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by billmac, Mar 29, 2011.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    of separating cream from milk without a separator.

I've been storing my milk in quart containers. Typically how much cream would settle on top? 1/2 inch? 1/4?

2. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Depends partly on what breed of goat you have. From 6 cups of Nigi milk sitting for 3 days I get a couple tablespoons.

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Nope...... if you want to get any amount of cream from goats milk.....you need a seperator. Goats milk is naturally homoginized and does not seperate like cows milk. Believe me, it is well worth the investment of a seperator.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it does separate some -- if you have the high butter fat producing does like nubians and nigerian dwarfs. But not sure about other breeds.

But if you really want all the cream out you need a separator

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I know people who have separators, and one thing they have said is that when you pull all the cream you can out nobody wants to drink the milk that is leftover.

Jan

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I store milk in quart sized wide mouth mason jars in the fridge, after 2-3 days I get no less than 1 1/2 inches of cream at the top...I use a plastic fork to skim, the milk goes through the tines and I get lumps of heavy cream to pull out and put into a container to freeze, I add to it daily and with 3 does milked 2 x a day it takes a week to get just over a pint of cream. I guess my girls have a good percentage of butterfat.

7. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Yep it's possible to get cream without a seperator. I just made some fresh butter the other day to go on my banana nut muffins. However I do agree that you need a high butterfat producing breed. We have Lamanchas. They are not known for the highest butterfat (That would be Nubians) but they do tend to have higher butterfat than your other breeds. I'de say we had about 1 inch cream at the top of our half gallon wide mouth mason jar. I just use a regular spoon and skim that off into a container, I just needed that little bit of butter for a pan of muffins so I didn't add anymore cream. I just took the stick blender with wisk attatchment and went to work. First I had the whipped cream then a little more and I had butter. I had tried last year to shake a jar of milk till I got butter seperating out, but you don't get all that much for all that milk and it's hard work. So now I just skim the cream off and wisk it into butter. So much easier. Good luck

8. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    if you dont like the milk left after going through the seperator why dont you keep it in a marked container and use it for cooking? thats what i would do. or you could feed it to the pigs or chickens if you have em. :D good luck!

9. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Wow. 1.5 inches of cream in a quart jar sounds like a lot. I am milking a nubian, so her butterfat should be good.

10. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    With a Nubian, You should be getting at least and inch. Good luck