The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the same dozen or so questions being asked and answered nearly every day. Id like a pole put up with say a title of: Most asked questions OR have the mods get together and go over each forum and come up with a list and post it asking for final answers on each of the top questions that keep getting asked. For instance, "At what age can I breed my goats?" Granted its not likely that most are going to take the time to look at the stickys but instead of long answers a reply could be posted, "Just read the sticky"

Just an idea i thought I would toss out.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I agree , but there are so many different views its nice to hear them all.
I used to look and check if the question has been asked and the answers posted. But alot of them are from a while back and I would like to hear opinions from recent members on a specific question. And it takes away the fun of reading replies to "your" question ....idk

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's hard because I am even guilty of asking the same question that was already answered. Feeding and banding I have seen A LOT but it is all helpful, it also gets hard to go back a week to see what everyone was saying last week, it's easier to just ask again and see the plethora of knowledge! :)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
As far as the repetitive questions, we mods are aware of the number of them :) Just only so many hours in a day for each of us to be here and almost impossible for each to be here at the same time to try and compile and merge those topics :)

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
There are some topics that remain the same such as Banding bucks, that a sticky would benefit from, then there are many subject that vary as new information is learned...not to mention different points of view...that a sticky might close the opportunity for discussion ..such as which wormer to use, how to use them and when..;)

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
There used to be a lot of stickies. Then when the phone app came about, the complaint was that there were too many stickies to go through before getting to the threads when on your phone. So darned if you do and darned if you don't.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Yes Karen is right 90% of the stickies left when the phone app came about. To many complaints about stickies and bam away they went. Complain to those who complained :shrug:

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BAH! darn people and their smart phones! :) I have the smartest dumb phone. No really. Its an HTC freestyle. It has all the stuff smart phones have BUT gives me the option not to have the networking on so I dont have to pay that extra fee :) Granted if I get lost, im just lost and my phone cant help me :)

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Ive come to putting certain info on my website where i copy and paste from :p its becoming my own personal sticky location because hardly anyone reads the stickies anyway even if they answer their question so it doesnt need asking :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
There used to be a lot of stickies. Then when the phone app came about, the complaint was that there were too many stickies to go through before getting to the threads when on your phone. So darned if you do and darned if you don't.
I have been on here for a few months and since I only have my phone for Internet and use the app I guess I don't see the whole site. I have no idea where the stickies are at? Or how to look up past threads? Can anybody help and tell me where to find these?

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
On my phone, when you go into a section like "health and wellness", there are choices at the top of my phone for "threads" or "stickies". It puts you on "threads" but you can click on "stickies" and go there.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
We mods, are compiled with daily work here, answering tons of questions, that we love answering.
As mentioned, getting together and going over hours and hours of want to be stickies is tremendous work.
We are volunteers and have our own lives and things of our own, to take care of, so we may come on at different times.
If we are on at the same time, some of us, may not be able to stay on for long that day.

We wish members, would do searches first before asking the same questions. Yet, as mentioned, some old posts, may be a little outdated for some things and members may have new incite and good advice, that may work even better, then those did back then.

We can't keep everyone happy, I am sorry about that. But we are here to help anyone, that has questions, even though, it was asked just yesterday by another.
We do have some members, that add on old posts, new questions and in those situations, it is best, they start a new thread For themselves, so their post and question is seen better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not trying to make anybody mad. I was more less making fun of my self for not even knowing that the stickies existed and I'm sure I'm one of the people that has asked a lot of the same questions that has been answered already. I really do appreciate the time that you guys put into answering and guiding some of us in the right direction to properly take care of our beloved goats!

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ill start another post asking what are the most common questions asked. Once a general list is made, it would be easy enough for someone to make a post on one of those question with their general knowledge of it. Have it replied upon to make sure nothing is left out and then a final draft could be made and if needed links to resources of information added to the final draft. Not talking about ALL the common questions. Just ones that everyone or at least most people agree on the answer. And for the ones that half two totally different answers as is typical in the goat world, can post both sides. Or even compromises like:

Can you feed bucks and/or wethers Alfalfa?
Some people feed their bucks alfalfa and have no issues. Some people dont because they are worried about Urinary Calculi (Urinary Stones). If you do decided to feed alfalfa to your bucks, it might be wise to give them Ammonium Chloride which helps prevent the formation of stones.

Feeding wethers alfalfa is generally not a good idea. Castration restricts urinary track development and makes it much harder for a wethered male to pass smaller stones that an intact buck could. The later a buck is castrated, the better development their tract is. Some people feed their wethers alfalfa upto a year of age and then make the switch to a different feed with lower calcium. This is done because stones take awhile to amass and grow in size. Feeding a higher quality alfalfa typically aids in the growth of younger kids because it is higher in calcium then other feeds such as grasses. In any event, giving wethers Ammonium Chloride is strongly suggested regardless of age or feed.

See, a general answer is all that most people are looking for. Something to point them in the right direction.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow very well put on the alfalfa! I think this is a great idea too! Maybe I can figure out some things with the app and do a informational thread on how to use it to the best ability.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts