These goats drive me crazy! (Star is sick again)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, May 5, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok so Xcell has decided to not eat any grain today. Who knows why. She will eat hay and some pine needles. Her temp was 103.5. I gave her b-complex and nutri-drench because it is not like her not to eat her grain! I didn't get much of the nutri drench in her so I made up a bucket of molasses water and nutridrench mix. She is a terrible goat to drench because she just lets everything drip out of her mouth! :hair:

Now Star is acting off again! Her temp was 105. So I gave her banamine and a little nutri drench.

Arg these goats are going to drive me crazy! I question selling out all the time! :hair: :shrug: :GAAH:

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Re: These goats drive me crazy!

Give the meds a chance to work. I would also give them some MOM and olive oil in case of stomach upset.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

My first thought was moldy hay? Bad feed?? Sorry! It drives me CRAZY too.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

Could you go over the history again? I can't remember the details about this.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Star was acting off I think a week or two ago. Time just blends anymore. lol The vet and I talked and I ended up giving her Pen G. She was fine for a while but today she seems off again. Not her usual, into everything I am doing, self. With the temp of 105 I figure something must be up. She does have a cough but she's had one since forever and I can't figure out why.

Xcell seems ok besides not eating her grain, but still she always eats her grain.

I checked the hay, its fine. The boys and the horses have been getting the same hay. The grain seems fine to me but I will check it again.

I will go back to the barn to check on everyone after class tonight. I am already 30 min late! :shocked:

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Ok so everyone seemed better tonight.

Xcell ate her grain and both girls had temps around 101. Sorry but I was wicked stressed earlier. I will see if Star's temp goes up again tomorrow. She is so horrible with shots and I hate to put her on Pen G again. She dances around like a mad thing even if I put her on the milking stand. I go crazy worrying that I am going to get it in a vein.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

I would be too if my girls kept spiking temperatures.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Ok so Xcell was fine today.

Star is not so fine. She didn't come out of the stall this morning, which is not like her. I had to go in and drag her out. She had her hair all puffed out like she was cold, but she's not. Her temp was 103. She wouldn't eat any grain or treats, but she would pick at hay. I have her in her own stall and I ended up giving her biomycin. I didn't call the vet because they wont believe my goats are sick unless they are on death's doorstep. I can't figure out what is bothering her. :shrug: :GAAH:

Do you still think MOM would help Star? Whats the dosage? She's about 50lbs. I can get that at CVS right?

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

If its some kind of rumen upset it will help, and since she is sick and not eating it will act as a buffer for the rumen to prevent acidity. I give my big girls 1 tbsp of MOM and 1 tbsp of olive oil, so probably half that.

10. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX

Is t possible that she has a mild case of pnuemonia? What is the weather like wher eyou are?

I have had 2 pnumonia cases and both of them got that "fluffy" look and were off feed. The spike and drop in temperature (105-101 is a big drop!) could be pnuemonia. If so, she will need LA200 or other anitbiotic ASAP! Expesially if you see "bubbles" in their mouth. Also, there gums will feel chalky, not moist like normal. One of mine got really really pale but the other didnt.

CJ

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok, well I am about to head over to the barn. Wish me luck. I hate going there and dreading what I am going to find. :(

Oh the change in Temp was from the Banamine.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Xcell being off feed teh other day could have been her being in heat -- I have a doe who won't eat grain when in heat.

As to Star I would just give her a dose of LA 200 as it is a stronger antibiotic. 1cc per 20lbs

I hope all is well though when you get there.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I gave Star Biomycin, about 2cc's, thats all I had since I have been giving it to my horse too!

I was thinking that about Xcell, but I haven't had anyone do that to me yet. Also even though she is later into her freshening could she still have calcium problems? I am just asking because I did give her a bit of calcium drench and a few hours later she was eating grain again. :scratch:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes they can still have calcium issues and it isn't all that uncommon. That was a good reaction you made I am sure it helped

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Anytime my does are close to birth or nursing and they lack an appetitie and seem stiff in moving, they get a calcium drench. It can't hurt and has done the job everytime I've tried it.
    Does your horse have a temerature and other symptoms like your goats? The reason I ask is that I heard a story once about a lady who was having general health problems with different types of animals and it turned out there was something in her water. They did not figure it out until some family members started having problems too.

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well she seems better, but still not herself. I will give the Biomycin more time to work. Her temp was normal and she is eating some. She loved the fresh grass I picked for her.

My horse supposedly has ehrlichiosis (sp). Ticks seem to love him no matter what I do, so i'm not surprised.

Xcell is back to normal. I think I just worry too much about her since she got really sick that one time.

The water issue could be possible.

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've heard of that disease(I can't spell it either) my uncle had a dog die from that.

Glad to hear Angel is doing a little better.