The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm starting a new thread on my goats ongoing copper? deficiency problem. Sigh; all of our goats have VERY pale eyelids and gums even though I gave them copper around 2 weeks ago or a little more -they're all pretty much the same- just slightly pink, and it's making me worried. :(They are acting normal, grazing, eating, stool and so on is totally normal as far as I can tell...
And they are getting better food to eat than ever before- here's our feeding ration:

In the morning the milkers each get: 2 pounds of alfalfa pellets and
1/2 pound of grain
In the evening when we milk they get: 2 more pounds of alfalfa pellets,
1 pound grain, and 1-2 cups of BOSS.
I've just started adding their mineral ration for the day into their evening meal by mixing it with diluted honey so it will stick to the food, plus a little dolomite powder.

I started doing that because they were not eating the minerals on their own.

The 4 3 month old doelings and my Nigerian doe get 2pounds of alfalfa and maybe 4 cups of BOSS a day, plus a little grain for the doelings.

The bucks get basically the same thing as the doelings.

I just got some Thorvin kelp- it arrived in the mail today- I hear its good for iodine def.? if those of you that use it could tell me how much I should give them a day, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and I almost forgot to say that they were dewormed about a month or so ago, and treated with Corid for cocci. I have not had fecals done again, but I thought it was too soon for it to be wormload already? So I have not dewormed since then.
Their coats are getting glossier, and the ND does hair -which was almost entirely rust colored (she's almost pure black) has turned almost all the way black again.

But in spite of all this, their lids and gums are pale! What am I missing? :shrug:

Sorry to write a book. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I use the Thorvin kelp daily. I normally put out two good handfuls in the goat lots but I offer the kids a small handful (about the size of the dip in my palm) in the evenings to be sure they get some as the adults some times hog the mineral feeder. Basically kelp can be offered free choice (as my adults have free choice minerals and kelp) but as with anything new in a goats diet if they haven't had it before I normally start offering a little palm full every other day for about a week or two (depending on how your goat takes to it) and then go free choice. Thorvin kelp is really good for them. Just be sure if you leave it free choice that it stays clean and dry. That is why I just put out a little each day in case if it gets dirt or moister I can dump and not waste much.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
I would have the fecal done just to rule it out..make sure to ask for the baerman test for those stubborn worms....

It takes time for a goat to rebuild red blood cells..and you are on the right track with mineral, copper bolusing, good feed program...as long as they are all healthy, happy eating drinking pooping berries peeing and getting glossy, the dont worry too much, just keep up the good work ;)

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
When I don't feed kelp free choice I put a good sprinkle on their grain. Probably a Heaping Teaspoon.

It can take a long frustrating time to get their iron stores back up. As long as 6 weeks in bad cases. Might also try throwing a couple vitamin B-12 chewables on their food for a few weeks. Anemia can also be Colbalt deficiency, B-12 can help with that.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys! I'll be starting them on the kelp this evening.I'm frustrated with them for not eating their minerals when I put them out free choice, argh! But I think putting it in the food will work for a while, at least till I get some they will eat.
Cathy, I have been wanting to do another fecal, just been so busy... Haven't had a chance to take the dog in for rabies shot either... Life is hectic sometimes. :) Ill see if we can't do that this week.
I'm really grateful for the input- I will say again- I am so glad you guys (and this forum) are here!!

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Baerman techneque is a more indebth fecal, some worms deposit larve instead of eggs that can not be seen in a regular fecal exam, so the baerman looks for larve instead of eggs....Most vet office do not do them but have them sent out..when you are having a difficult time figuring out whats going on this test canhelp eliminate or highlight red flags here link to explianhow it works..
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/fecal-baermann/314

·
1,524 Posts
When I get a goat that is very pale, I give them an iron injection every day for 3 days after I de-worm them. I have a major problem in my area in the summer months with live flukes, which can cause severe bleeding. I start right off with the injectable iron.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
I think Liver fluke is real bad this year...and It can also cause bottle jaw..it is a slower process then Barpole and much harder to kick I think...Ive added giving copper bolus after a severe case of anemia....along with high protien food to help the body rebuild the red blood cells..is a long battle..but can be won : )

I should have said I bolus after a case of anemia due to worm load..: ) the copper helps the goat fight worms as well..: )
here is an interested case:
http://www.goatspots.com/copper.html

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I guess I'll call the vet tomorrow and ask if they do the Baerman test... But I probably shouldn't give iron right now, should I? After giving the copper, or has it been long enough that it won't interfere?

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
good question Sarah..how long has it been?? perhaps wait until you have a fecal done..see how the owrm load is..??

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good question Sarah..how long has it been?? perhaps wait until you have a fecal done..see how the owrm load is..??
'K I just looked at my records; it's been 5 weeks since I dewormed them, 2 and 1/2 since the copper...
I'm hoping maybe Monday we can get fecals done again.

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
The Baerman test is for lung worm. Not a worry for you. The problem is that Liver Fluke and Barber Pole worms look almost exactly the same on the slide. If your vet does a fecal and oh well, you still have Barber Poles or Roundworm whatever he calls them...They are more than likely Liver Fluke NOT Barber Pole.
If your interested in testing for Lungworm, I can show you how to do it yourself without an $80.00 test.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Baerman test is for lung worm. Not a worry for you. The problem is that Liver Fluke and Barber Pole worms look almost exactly the same on the slide. If your vet does a fecal and oh well, you still have Barber Poles or Roundworm whatever he calls them...They are more than likely Liver Fluke NOT Barber Pole.
If your interested in testing for Lungworm, I can show you how to do it yourself without an $80.00 test.
Hehe.... well I don't think I'm ready to do my own testing yet; maybe someday- but thank you for offerring, really!
Yeah, I read that lung worms cause them to have a cough, and they're not coughing at all, so I guess that rules that out?
I don't know what our vet would normally charge for fecals, because they're really nice to us and sometimes they dock the price on things.:p
When we took in one sample it was $15, but when we did all of them, not sure but I don't think they charged us for it at all!- but they did for the rest of the visit, of course; wasn't free!;)

·
Registered
30,552 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
If worm load was bad it could have affected her iron levels. I would give red cell daily until color returns. I give 7cc to a 150lb goat. Adjust accordingly. Glad you made the mineral improvements.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well goathiker I sure would like to know how!!!
Now this is what I have gathered from iron and worms, if Im wrong someone step up and correct me. Worms thrive on iron, so it would be a waist of time and energy to give right now till you make sure they are clean and your just not making those suckers happy in there. And yes it takes for ever for them to get back to normal, had one with bottle jaw, (my dear goathiker helped me :) ) It took for ever to get her to atleast get that gone, and she is starting to look some what fat again after MONTHS!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would think that it should be fine to give iron. I would give it orally a you are less likely to overdose. I know some prefer injection because it is faster acting. I guess its a preference thing. Raising red blood cell levels will help them to be able to fight of worms. Goats that are academic to long can develop heart problems. Within a couple days of red cell my goats looked markedly better and was finally able to fight off chemical resistant stronglyes. B vitamins shot would help too.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts