they won't go inside!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by chiara, Dec 1, 2009.

1. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    Hi guys, first post here, day 3 of having goats. I have 3 Nigerian babies, 2 8 weeks and one almost 5 months, also 3 LaManchas. The big girls have taken over the shelter and won't let the little ones inside at night. SO I got a big dog crate and lined it with bedding for the little guys. I showed it to them, tempted them inside with grain, but when I went out to check on them just now, the 3 babies are all curled up together outside! Dog crate is empty! It's in the low 40s right now, and windy, supposed to get down to freezing tonight. Should I just let them be? Force them inside and close the door to the crate? They're not shivering, but I was! It's cold out there!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome to the world of goats!

also welcome to TGS :wave:

Goats are nutty aren't they. actually the cold doesnt bother them like it does us. For your peace of mind you can force them into the shelter but I have found mine sleeping outside more often then not even in real cold temps. as long as it isnt sleeting or freezing rain or really high winds from the north they should be fine.

Now that said they could be afraid of the new structure and will need more coaxing to realize its safe, warm and where they "should be"

3. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    That is really good advice because I worry about my goats, too. We live in CA and it rarely gets below 30 degrees, but I also wonder why they won't go in the barn or dog crates. :?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the night my friends doe kidded all the other goats besides the one in labor were outside on the picnic table spread out and just relaxing. I was shivering and my teeth were chattering -- it wasnt terribly cold at like 40 degrees but the drop in temp was close to 30 degrees from what we were use to so I know the goats feel it to, but it doesnt seem to bother them one bit. Actually mine get more spring to their step and get more and more ornery! Goofy goats

5. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    thanks. I feel better about them now that I know they're not the only ones. I'll also spend some time tomorrow tempting them into the crate with seom grain or something. now if I can only figure out how to manage the big girls and the little ones together on my little urban lot I'll be fine! They all kind of fell in my lap at the same time. Think enlarging the pen is step 1. They need some more space. How long does it usually take goats to settle into new situations?

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Goats settle in usually in a few days. Sometimes it is best to leave them to discover on their own. Forcing them can just delay the trust they need to build up. Wait till it rains (goats hate rain) they will seek shelter then. I have made many a shelter that has gone unused for awhile. My donkey would rather be out in the rain then in his shed.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Mully ...when it rains ...they will go in... :wink:

Maybe feed their hay... only in the shelter....no where else ...they will have to go in there to eat.... :greengrin:

8. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    My feeder is in the back of my shelter. Then all of that wasted hay becomes bedding. In my area straw is only a $1 cheeper then the alfalfa so its really is a good thing.

9. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

You know...it gets below 20 here at night and I was so worried about my buck the first night he got home. My girls have a 12x12 stall and they curl right up in there together. But he was all alone and I had given him a DogLoo since it had always been a favorite of my dogs (with dog houses, crates, and dogloos to choose from they always choose the godloos)! He wouldn't even go near it and I thought...well, that isn't going to work. So, I went out like 6x a day with just a handful of grain and dropped it all the way in the back. it took two or three days but finally one evening as it started getting dark I saw him go in there and curl up. Next day he was standing on top of the darn thing!