They're back

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Aug 16, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    :angry: The bald faced hornets are back :veryangry:

If anyone can remember it was a nighmire last year. I am just so frustrated :GAAH:

I think there is only two right now so I hope to get them illiminated quickly.

"Oh please God let that be the case!"

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Hope you get it under controll!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nasty tempered bee's...as bad as yellow jackets....a really good propelling bee and wasp spray should do the trick..just be careful and DON'T MAKE THEM MAD....get them at night with a flashlight, they won't know what hit them.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont know where the nest is .... they can travel miles to get to their food source. Oh and they feast on the flies, so once the flies are gone for the night they leave

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That stinks that you can't even erradicate the nest!! Just watch yourself...I hope you aren't allergic to them.

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Spray them w/ carborator cleaner it works! :ROFL:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :ROFL: My hubby's Brake Klean worked last year for a nest I found in the hay shed....hubby even uses a propane torch and the brake clean to "shoot flames" a long distance...kills bees but is really bad for vinyl siding :slapfloor:

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah I have done that to.(I have easy acess because my dad is a mechanic) Propane torch.LOL! :slapfloor:

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they are fast! my brother and I would stand out there (me sobbing my eyes out, terrified of bees) with cans of hornet spray and would wait for them to land for that quick nano second and SPRAY like MAD --- we did get rid of like 7 of them that way. I saved them in a jar for quite a while as they were my prize for all the times I had been chased out of the goatshed by them. They would literally chase me out. :tears:

10. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes, I remember you having them last year. What a nightmare!!! You really should get someone out to spray for bees and stuff. We have someone come out and he will come out any time you need him to. I know I would be terrified to have those in my barn. I am scared enough of the wood bees (which don't really sting and we haven't had many of them this year) and the horseflies that land on me and almost bite me. Good luck getting rid of them! :worried: And please do be really careful. I was reading on the Internet that they will sting repeatedly and they mostly sting on the face. I hate bees!!!!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they are nasty buggers! most bees will just sting you because you wer ein their way or near their nest. But they chase you!

I cant have someone out to spray if I cant find the nest :sigh:

12. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Yeah, that is true. :sigh: I really do feel sorry for you. I know I would just freak out and I wouldn't want to even go out there if they were in my barn. Do they ever bother the goats?

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah the goats dont like them either. I know when they are in the shed when the goats run quickly out and then stare at the shed like --- what just happened?

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I hate those buggers! I hate all stinging things, and I seem to have been stung by them all :worried:

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh dear that is too funny :ROFL:

Stacey, they eat flies? You're lucky, I would KILL for something that eats flies, lol.

My brother raises bees and they used to bother me but not anymore. Its a mind thing, the know when you are afraid of them and they feel threatened at that. I used to not go in the barn because its so full of wasps but I learned to overcome my fear and just pretend they aren't there. I leave them alone, they leave me alone. We have mud daubers and yellow jackets around here. They live in the feed shed and don't bother me one bit but my brother David(Jeffrey has the bees) is afraid of them and I always see him running out of there because they don't stop flying in his face :slapfloor:

They make yellow jacket traps, would those work on the hornets?

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It was funny after the fact...he did it because he is deathly allergic..has anaphylatic reaction to stings and he didn't want to get to close...so he just melted my siding along with burning the nest...duh, won't do that one again!

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Stacey you need a couple of Guineas. They are noisy and wild, but they cleaned out the carpenter bees in my chicken coop, haven't seen a wasp this year (they were really bad last year), and the nest of yellow jackets (that stung Hubby bad last year) is empty. I saw them sitting beside a hole in the siding of an old outbuilding just picking off the big bees as they came out! Also, haven't seen a tick all year! :wahoo:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we had those last year --- they didnt do a thing for them.

I went 2 days without seeing one bald faced hornet (BFH) and then today I saw one :angry: and it was buzzing me as I milked OUTSIDE the shed and OUTSIDE the pen :veryangry: