They're too fat! How do I get weight off them? Pict added

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Cinder, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I have two goats who are just plain ole too fat.

Goat #1) Alpine, 3 yrs. old - didn't freshen this year (don't know why yet). So, she's not in milk - I'm not giving her any grain/feed just grass hay (it's pretty much free choice as she's in with my milk does). She does get let out to pasture with the rest of the goats generally once a day for an hour or two. She's getting fatter.. and fatter and I'm getting concerned that she won't be able to get pregnant again this year or if she does.. she'll have problems in delivery due to her weight.

Goat #2) Nubian, 6 yrs. old - freshened earlier this spring, I got her in March/April and she was already fat when I got her. She's in milk so she gets Klassy goat feed (with BOSS and alfalfa pellets mixed in) every morning on the milk stand... her milk production is getting lower and lower (don't know why - she may be naturally drying herself off?). She eats the same grass hay and has the same time out on pasture as the above goat.

How do you take fat off a doe who's in milk without lowering her milk supply even more. How do I take fat off a goat that isn't getting anything extra (feed wise) and is still putting on weight?

Here are the pictures... hope they help... it's really hard getting good pictures of goat... at least for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Re: They're too fat! How do I get weight off them?

Cut back on your feeding. Have you checked for worms, bloat? Do you have pics? What may be fat to you could be healthy to others? :shrug:

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Re: They're too fat! How do I get weight off them?

Pictures are a good idea, I'll get some tomorrow and post.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

can you cut back on the pasture> Was the first doe fat when you tried to breed her? being over weight can cause problems with conceiving. Be carful with how fat they get because goat can founder just like horses can. And once they do it once they can do it again pretty easily.
    beth

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

I dont know about Alpines or Nubians as far as fat goes. Altho I do have one Nub.
    We raise Boers & what might look fat to some people they really arent.
    On the other hand we DO have a couple of TuboLards they are Bonafide Certified absolutely FAT. Squishy tails, squishy elbows & the ground caves in when they are standing still. They havent conceived with 2 different bucks.
    The other does are huge but not fat like these girls.

Can you feel their ribs easily? Can you grab a chunk of flesh behind the elbow?

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Cinder, if your pasture is as lush as mine with all the rain we have had.

Hey cinder, I will be going to Castle Rock this Saturday, can I swing by to get my barn camera? I need to get things set up for the kidding season. I gutted my barn and I am trying to put the stalls in different so I need to see where to put them so the camera can get them all. I can either call you and we can meet somewhere like we did last time or something.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree... on cutting her back... from the pasture.....it will help.... :wink:

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    sparks879 asked:
    No, she was in pretty much perfect condition when she was 'bred' last December. She has put on weight starting about March this year.

9. I know it sounds nuts but I have seen does this size loose it in a matter of days after a good Strong worming. Just a thought if you have not used one. I say this because the first one looks like a doe I had that did this a while back. I was worming by the sheep directions as there was no goat directions and it was not the same. Valbazen is good to use if it has been a month after your breeding, or three months before. 10cc per pound should do the trick if you have not given her a good strong wormer or have used the same kind over and over. Hope that helps...

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    when our heifers get too fat on pasture, they go into the paddock that has lots of hills ... lots and lots of walking lol and I also try to get them bred, nothing like a calf at foot to suck the fat off them

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Uh oh I've heard that Valbazen you cant give to pregnant goats. So you might want to check on that.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I dont think valbazen is suposed to be used on pregnant does.
    AS for being fat i really dont think they look that bad. Your girls have really wide barrels (thats a good thing) the best way to check fat is behind their elbows, is there a roll there? and over their ribs, can you find their ribs pretty easily or is there a layer os squish between then ribs and skin? Another good way is the tail head. When a goat is over weight her taill head gets really fatty.
    beth

13. I guess I missed the part where she was bred for some reason I thought that because of her weight she was not taking? Anyway, so long as it is a month after you are ok. If she is bred though, I agree she looks fine in weight. I would check the eyes though in case, a doe changes chemistry during the pregnancy and much more after the kidding.

At any rate, I would not tell you to use it if I did not know it was ok. I use it on my does when I need to and two of the biggest breeders in goats that I know do as well. The key is three months before and one month after that you do not want to. Before is do to the small percentage that do not take in that time frame and a month after for the small percentage that can abort. However, I used this on Livi a month before Cheryl's birth as well as my boer doe this year who had triplets three months after. Bottom line is an overload of worms will not only kill potential kids but the mother as well so that too is a reminder. However, again if these does were bred the tan and black MIGHT be a little wormy but if not, you will have to check, is just carrying heavy. And black and silver doe looks fine all the way around for a bred doe.

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They actually look great to me. Maybe a little chubby, but that's good weight especially getting ready for fall and then winter.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The alpine doe does look as though she could miss a meal or 2 :wink: The front of her looks like you can pinch a bit more than an inch. Her shoulders look as though she has a thick layer over them.

The nubi looks good, at 6 years old and depending on the litter sizes she's had, she won't ever lose her belly.....some does will lose the strength in the ligaments that hold preggy bellies, therefore making them look fat when they are actually in good condition, which this doe looks good, nice showing of her shoulders and hips, but not too thin.

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

How old were they the first time they were bred?
    beth

17. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Sorry I'm just getting back to this.. I've been gone/busy all weekend.

sparks879 asked:
    The Alpine was about one year old when she had her first litter. She didn't take for her second year. She is not pregnant now - I am about to start trying to breed her again.

I have no idea how old the Nubian was with her first litter as I don't know her history other than the last year. She is not pregnant now either, she freshened this spring with twins. I will breed her again this fall for a spring freshening.