The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buckling with goat polio. How often can I give thiamine to him? He's in pretty rough shape and I hoping I caught it in time. Right now he is getting 1cc.. thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
If that is what you have to treat him, very high doses are needed to counteract the neurological symptoms that occur with polio.... I successfully treated a 5 month old, 35 pound doeling with 12cc's split into 2 doses for 2 different injection sites every 6 hours...after the first injection the symptoms showed improvement

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
You can't OD on B Complex... I would be giving him a minimum of 2-3cc.

You'll also need to get his temp...if he is under 100*F, You'll need to get him warmed up to keep his rumen going.

I also recommend the Pen G IM dosed at 1.5cc for his weight.... they need to be frequent injections to get the therapeutic levels in his system ASAP

·
14,615 Posts
If you can get straight thiamine from your vet it would be a whole lot better than Bcomplex or even the fortified B.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I agree with whats been said....at 100 mg of Thiamine in your B complex, 4 1/2 cc per 100# is needed so at 15 pounds so 2 -3 cc should be good...every 4-6 hours..if he has polio then after the first few shots you should see improvment..if not suspct listeriosis
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
This link has a chart on how much Penicillin is needed per his size...
best wishes

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
So sorry :( :hug:

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Im so sorry...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts