Thick umbilical cord

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NDinKY, Jun 12, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    My doe that kidded yesterday has a kid with a really thick umbilical cord that doesn’t seem to be drying up like it should. We tied off the cord, trimmed it a little, then dipped in iodine. I dipped in iodine again this morning because it still felt damp. Is there anything else I should do to help it dry up? I am worried about joint ill.

2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I took pics of it. It doesn’t seem to bother her, I’ve just never had one with a cord this thick.

FD77E90C-928A-4102-B4A8-3922EC79945D.jpeg

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would keep Dipping until its dry all the way. I have had a few like this before. I never tied them..just kept dipping a few times a day until.they died up

NDinKY likes this.
  4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Ok thanks, I’ll do that. Did you just use iodine or did you add anything to it to help encourage drying like rubbing alcohol?

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We've had some like that, crazy isn't it? We had one back in January that was so thick and strong I had to tie it off and cut with scissors because I couldn't break it with my fingernails.
    I would definitely dip and/or spray it until it's dry. We usually use iodine but had some umbilical infections early this year (a first) and I think it was from damp weather/kids cords getting wet when we'd let them outside to play (wet grass). So we switched to Triodine. Used that on the May kids and it really dried them up fast.

NDinKY likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ll have to look for the Triodine. It was more dry this morning, and I’ve been dipping it more. Fortunately it’s been pretty dry so hopefully no joint ill.

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I use vetricyn 7 - that stuff really dries up the cords. However it leaves their bellies orange for quite a while :neat:

10. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I read research that thick umbilical cords are caused by a mineral deficiency (I forgot which one....selenium, maybe?), not that that helps you dry it up right now. I use iodine and if it stays moist (I HATE that word, lol) I use Wonder dust to really dry it. But, I've never had one that thick.

11. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’m heading to TSC shortly, I’ll check out those products mentioned. It’s drying, but slowly. The doeling is acting perfectly fine though, bouncing around.

I know selenium deficiency causes thickened amniotic sacs, but I hadn’t heard about umbilical cords. The four others had normal cords, though two had ones that broke really close to their bodies so maybe those were thick as well. Our girls get BoSe twice a year. Once before breeding and the second 3 weeks before kidding. I don’t know what the sacs looked like as she surprised us with them and they were all up and mostly cleaned off when we found them at 6 am. We also leave out free choice minerals and do copper boluses as needed.

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are correct, it does not.

Huge umbilical cords means the kid had very good life source and fed very well from within. Sometimes it happens.

13. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Good thing for this little one then. She’s the smallest of the 5.

I picked up the triodine today, will hopefully help dry more quickly.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you have the top area of the umbilical cord tied and the bottom area, snip the bottom area tie off there, sometimes they hold in liquid making it harder to dry up. The higher tie is what has to be left intact. Don't cut too high though.

16. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    There is no bottom tie, only the one at the top. The bottom is open, but more shriveled than the mid part. Should I snip it shorter?

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No, it looked like it was tied there. :oops2:

18. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Here’s an updated picture from today. I’ve actually emailed my vet with the photo in case she needs to be seen. It’s dry but so heavy looking, I’m worried about it causing an umbilical herniation. I’ll update with what my vet says.
    1249DA61-E335-4A8F-9317-30EF3522EE09.jpeg

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh wow.

Yes, let us know.

20. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Took her to the vet this morning. He didn’t think it looked infected or anything. The top part above where I had tied was getting a little raw. He clamped above where I had tied off then cut everything off below the clamp, then sprayed with alushield. It oozed a little bit but he said it should dry and heal right up. He doesn’t think she’s herniating, but if it’s not healing up in two weeks he’ll put a stitch or two in there. He also gave her an antibiotic shot as prophylaxis.

I forgot to get pics, I’ll get some later.

ksalvagno likes this.