Thin Coat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kids-n-peeps, Dec 27, 2009.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    More than a month ago, we got a 2 year old ND doe who recently had kids. When we got her, she seemed healthy except that her ear had just had a chunk taken out of it by a livestock guardian (at the previous owners) and her coat was sort of dull and thin. My assumption was that pregnancy and feeding kids just took a toll on her coat, coupled with the stress of her changing homes 3x (twice with her kids), having to integrate with new goats two of those times, being bitten by the dog, and then being separated from her kids when she came to us.

About a week and a half ago, while petting her, I noticed that the hair on her already thin coat was just flying off her as I pet her. The other day it was still coming off pretty easily, but not quite as badly. There are no bald patches. A friend who had a goat with ringworm in the past said he'd take a look at her to check for that.

My husband thinks all of the above stresses have impacted her coat and that perhaps her old coat is coming out as a new one is coming in?

We did notice when we got her that she went straight to the Golden Blend Minerals.

What else could we be overlooking. What would you advise - I feel like I read something on here about aloe vera juice for coat?

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I'd look into providing two things for the doe. One, a thorough worming. Ivermectin given at 3x the dose for a horse (just use the horse paste in the tubes and triple it) given 2 days in a row. Withhold food for 12 hours (overnight works) and worm, then give food back. Repeat the next day. If you are housing her with other goats it'd be good to do them too.

Next, think about additional supplements she may be depleted in. Provide a copper bolus (search this site for brands, methods and dosages. I like to give copper wrapped in a marshmallow as opposed to a pill form). Selenium and Vit E gel would be a good idea as well as some B vitamin complex (brewer's yeast, I am told, is a fantastic supplement and should be given 1 tsp a day added to grain or minerals).

Both parasites as well as mineral and vitamin deficiencies (as well as deficiencies caused by worms, of course) can cause the coat problems you describe. You should see a dramatic improvement within a month of providing these things. Goats need all the nutrients I listed as well as others in the goat mineral you already provide to encourage proper healthy cell development and reproduction - this applies to all aspects of health. Organs, skin, hair, hoofs, etc. All need healthy cells to produce a healthy result. Your doe's unhealthy hair/skin suggests a deficiency.

A fecal test done to check for cocci would also be beneficial to determine if a treatment is needed. I do not find fecals to be reliable for testing for parasites such as tapes or ringworm because they may or may not show up in the tests based on their life stage, as such consecutive carefully timed tests may need to be done in a sequence of 3 to 4 tests to get a good idea of what your goat is infested with. Therefore, for parasites I worm if I suspect an issue. But for cocci I suggest doing a fecal.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    stress and deficiency can cause a thin coat to balding. Depending on your temperatures she mayneed a coat till her new winter coat comes in.

It takes upwards to 3-6 months to see a difference in coat after changing minerals (some people may see results sooner but it really depends on the nature of the deficiency). You may not see a change in her coat till her new coat comes in.

I like the Aloe Juice as it works wonders on rough coats and their skin. I give 6ccs a day and then add it to their water after about a week. I got the berry flavored kind so they love it

Ive been there more often that I would like with goats (ones I have rescued or purchased).

4. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    She was dosed with Ivermectin before she came to us and we did the follow-up dose. Hooves and eye color were and are in great shape, but I still should have run a fecal a few days after that second worming -- I will have one run this week by the state lab.

The goat coat and aloe vera juice definitely seem worth a try. pennylullabelle, I'm going to read through your recent mineral and vitamin posts . . .

Do most of you find you have to give mineral supplements beyond the loose minerals? or is it something you do when you notice a particular problem arise?

5. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I am definitely learning that if my goats don't need anything beyond their loose minerals, hay, and grain (for who gets it) then don't give it. The additional supplements should only be needed if 1. you notice a deficiency or 2. you are in a dramatically deficient area. My area/hay are deficient in selenium, cobalt, and copper. So, I need to find an ideal schedule for my herd to supplement those things after I have my hay and water analyzed. I'll do this yearly and adjust as needed.

In your girls case she is deficient and the extra boosts would be helpful. Once she is healthy the loose minerals should maintain her and unless you notice a problem you won't need to repeat the treatments.

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I don't use any additional supplements besides the Golden Blend minerals--which my goats love & I highly recommend. Occasionally in the summer time, I will buy a bag of black oil sunflower seeds & mix with the goats grain. We used to mix it with the rabbits when I was highly competative with national rabbit competitions--they say the oils in the seeds help with the skin & brighten up the coats.
    Let us know how the fecal samples go & hopefully your doe will settle right into her new home!

7. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Losing hair evenly all over does not sound like ringworm, it is more patchy. FYI, ringworm is a fungus, not a parasite. So it can't show up in a fecal.

8. I would do a fecal for sure. As for the coat, you really have not had enough time to see a huge difference. One the facal is done, treat her it needed. Then keep her on a good diet and you might try the Fast Track. That is really good for goats that are needing the boost. You also might try just giving some oral vit or nutri-drench. Vit b complex about 3 cc oraly and 3cc of b12 liquid oraly for a week or more if needed will help. If she is not using this she will just urinate it out so you can not hurt her. I didn't remember if you checked the eyes. Have you done that? That is something you will want to do if not and be sure they are pink to red in color. Any paleness means you may have an issue. Let us know how things go.