Thin Doe. Good appetite, but feeding triplets.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by tracyqh, Mar 4, 2011.

1. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Help, my doe that kidded triplets in Jan is looking bad. I've bumped her feed and hay ration up and she's eatting great. I wormed her again and added Calf Manna to her feed. She's bright, active, a great momma, just looks boney. I tried to pull a kid off and give to another doe. Worked great outside, but when I had to bring them in for the night, he wanted his mom and the other doe didn't want him. I've put the kids on creep feed and they are eatting it and hay well. She's on a combo of Noble Goat, Calf Manna and shredded beet pulp. She's not a fan of the BOSS. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    some Does do lose condition ....as the kids demand more milk..

If she is super down...it is of concern.... I'd get a fecal done on her for worms and cocci...

Did you worm her again 10 days later.. when you did worm her...how is her gum/eye color?

3. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    wormed her the day after she kidded, then again last night. She seems perfect, except her hip bones and backbone looks bad. This happens in mares sometimes and they get wormed, upped the protien % in the feed and full time alfalfa hay and they come around. It takes a while and sometimes they don't get back until the foal is pulled. Are some goats like this? She was such a piglet porker before the kids were born. So much, I was worried about ketosis, but now she looks like Kate Moss!

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... goats are the same way...the more kids they have on them... the more they are dragged down...if any of my boer Does are looking really skinny... I will pull them at minimum of 2.5 months old....when I like to wean at 3 months old...or will pull one kid early... after the kids are pulled.... the Doe will regain her weight relatively quickly..... unless... they have worms or cocci.... or some other issues... :wink:

5. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks. I'm going to worm her again in 10 days. If she had cocci, she'd be off wouldn't she? She can still drag me down the barn if she wants and puts her head in everyone's feed pan as she walks by with me on her back!

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Sounds like my doe who has 8 week old kids! She's not super bony, but she has lost a LOT of weight. But it's not a dangerous kind of thin, just the kind that shows she has twins and a lot of calories going to milk - she has a great milk supply. If your doe has triplets I can only imagine it's taking even more out of her.

Would it be bad to add some beet pulp? I know when I worked with horses it worked, and I've heard recommendations for goats who need to pack some weight on as well.

I know it's expensive, but what about rice bran oil?

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Cocci...doesn't always show scouring ...a Doe can waste away(thin)...no matter how fed....and does act as if nothing is wrong.... When a Doe kids... it is stressful and can trigger cocci... to raise it's ugly head...getting a fecal on her... will let you know... if she has any worms or cocci present....I'd wait a little while.. after any treatment of worming ....so you can get a better response with the fecal... :wink: