Thin doe not doing good

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crow, Jan 12, 2010.

1. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa
    I have a nigerian doe that has been thin since we bought her, today she was down and didnt want to get up, or follow the rest of the herd. her temp was only 100.6 is this hypothermea? I have her in the house, she is breathing heavy, we gave her a b12 shot and wormed her a couple weeks ago, and she started actin ok, but today shes not feeling well, they stay in a new barn, so she hasent been out in the freezing weather weve had latley. is there anything I can do short of the vet? I have never seen her breath so hard, thanks for your help. Crow.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: EMERGENCY

I would see if you can take her into a vet -- low temp is not good, but I have a doe right now who has a low temp 100.3 and she is still chweing her cud so I am not worried about her, just keeping an eye on her.

For your doe the labored breathign could be a sign of a lung issue - either pneumonia or somethign else.

3. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia

I would definitely give the vet a calll
    A low temp could mean her rumen is shutting down. Do you hear any noises from her rumen? Is she burping? Are her gums pale or gray?
    If she has not gone into shock or not bloating, you can drench her with electrolytes in warm water, probios in warm water and give her some nutridrench if you have it on hand. Don't give her any grain. If she seems interested in food give her some hay.

I had one go cold like that last week and it took about 4 hours to get her back on her feet.

4. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa

Thanks folks, I am takin her to the vet at 4:00 today and I hope they can fix her, she is from a very good bloodline, and when we bought her the folks told us "she's a little skinny but dont worry" (yea right.) I will be more cautious in the future buying older goats for my herd. 475 bucks for a ill goat, learn and live. thank you and Ill keep yall posted bought what the vet says. Crow

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Keep us posted on how she is doing. Poor girl :(

6. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa

The vet did some blood test and such, He states that her condition is cronic and in the last stages. she has had a problem possable from birth with her lungs,ect. her white blood cells and red where very much off the charts, he dont think she will make it. the vet said we have done all that anyone could of done for her. it really ticks me off, We have only had her for 6-7 months, she just wouldnt ever gain weight, and like I said, the breader I got her from said "oh when you see her dont worry about how skinny she is" we gotta way in these woods round here to deal with such folk that :shades: , but thats here and not way up north where I got here. she was sick before I got her and they had to know something wasent right by her! learn and live. Thanks folks, crow

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I would confront the breeder and see what could be done about getting my money back. A replacement goat would not do since whatever this goat has could bbe running through the whole herd. Good luck in whatever you decide,

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

OH, I am so sorry. That has to be hard. I agree, try to talk to who you got her from, but don't be surprised if they say no because it has been over 7 months or so.

I sure wish I could help you. :hug:

9. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa

Much to my vets suprise she is doing really well, He did not expect her to make it through the night, and it was a long night! I gave her b12 comp. every three hours, plain yogart, nutra drench, naxcel, bose inj. and vit. E, her RBC normal range is 8-18 it was 1.75! her WBC normal range is 4-13 and her's was 48.2! thats why the vet said she most likley wont make it, but she's really perky tonight, eating good, pooping good, man so far its all good! :cool: I had a CAEV sent out today, I will know more in a couple days, the breader claimed to have had her herd tested when we got her, but, As I understand this can just pop up any time? But I will give this doe all that is humanly avalable to save her, but I belive our prayers had alot to do with this. when I left the vet last night with her she was limp in my arms. wouldnt even move her eyelids. now she's up and eating, acting normal. now I have to find a way to get her blood right and get weight on this poor thing she only weighs 36lbs! shes almost 2 years old and has had one litter last year. 3 weeks before I got her. Up by wisconsin. Thanks folks. I will keep you posted. but all that can be done has been done. Crow.

10. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

Oh boy! Just keep on it -- this is a heartbreaker and I hopw she pulls through. You're sure doing all you can/

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Way to go. :leap: Is there a chance is is anemic? Did her test that? They are really sluggish and not very active if they are real anemic.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    IMO....I really don't think your vet knows goats .... try to find a different vet... if you can.... :hug:

Have you checked her gums and eye coloring ..... with blood levels off....give her some red cell or iron supplement.... to build her blood....

I would do a fecal on her....if the vet didn't do this... to see if ...she has worms or cocci...I know you treated her for that but.... sometimes they get immuned to the wormers ....and we need to try ..a different one...also check for cocci count.... I don't know if ..your vet did these checks... but ..it would be on the top of my list.... From the difficulty breathing thing... it may be ...a lung worm overload... or scar tissue from one... prior... :shrug: If you get these checked... and if she needs treatment.... she can get better .... when worming ...it is a good idea..... if worms are suspected...that you worm again ....10 days later.... to get the hatching eggs................. if this isn't done...the worms quickly take over again.... :hug: If you can get these under control then she should gain the weight.... and her temp should come back up.... also giving her the yogart for her tummy is a good idea... keep it up... :thumbup:

13. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa
    can anyone help me with this red cell product? and iron dextran-100 wich one would work best for anemia? how much could I give her? she's only 36lbs, subQ or IM????? and yes I had a fecial done and shes ok there, we did worm her just pryer to all this happenin though, the vet has checked everything , Hes the only vet in my area that even knows what a goat looks like. and my nigy was the first nigy he had ever seen, but I am also working directly with the univeristy of columbia Mo. on this too and they know goats really well there. I really need to get her to makin blood fast and the red cell and iron thing is the products Im told to use. the vets going to call me back on it but I was just wonderin if anyone out there has already walked this road? and could give advice? thanks folks, crow.

14. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

You can give her human Geritol. Her weight I would give her 3-5 cc's. Maybe on the high side.

Is her temperature back up? Heres a good recipe for getting a temp up

1-1-1 parts
    Mollases
    Coffee
    Whiskey

Give about 3-5cc every 30 minutes.

15. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I've used red celll before -- not too expensive and you can get it at the feed store. ANother product for anemia is Lixotinic -- I think you have to get that at a mail order though or your vet.

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Geritol is not normally recommended as it contains quite a bit of alcohol. If thats what I had I would use it if I had nothing else.