The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought two, two year old Pygmy does from a lady at the beginning of June. They both seemed healthy and happy. Overall they have been doing well since I brought them home but one of them seems to be losing weight. I thought it would taper off but she is still getting thinner. She still seems pretty healthy and happy, they are both fairly active and like to play. But I am worried about how thin she seems. (The other one is pregnant and due any time but she doesn't seem to be losing weight from what I can tell)
I have dewormed the one that is thin just in case. (She had good gum colour and no diarrhea or anything)
I give them free minerals, loose salt and our veggie scraps but the only other food they get is grass. (Which is what the breeder said she fed them)
Any ideas why she seems healthy otherwise but is getting quite thin? Any suggestions on what I should do?
Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
You need to have a fecal done and make sure they include coccidia. My bet would be on a parasite and you need to know which parasites you are dealing with to treat appropriately. It is also very important to know her weight and the proper goat dosage of any dewormers you use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay, this may be a dumb question but I was only able to get about 10 berries from the goat I am most concerned about. (She did not seem to like me following her around wanting her to poop) and they like to go to bed once it starts to get dark so she's snuggled in for the night now. My question is, will that be enough for a fecal test? Or should I try again in the morning before I go to work? (I managed to get more from the pregnant doe)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Thank you so much you guys! I knew I could count in this place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Brought in the fecal samples today to our vet. She told me that the worm load was really quite low and there wasn't any evidence of coccidian. Which is good. She said it could be possible that maybe Chewy is just more sensitive to the worms and I could try deworming her again to see if that will help. Another suggestion was to also give them a little alfalfa. Since our grass this item of year is really quite wet there isn't a lot of calories in it so they might need just a little bit of a calorie boost. If that doesn't seem to help then she recommends trying a blood test next to see if anything else is amiss.
So, I'll try adding a little alfalfa for a bit and see if that will help Chewy gain some weight. thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I would probably go ahead and worm Chewy. I owned a goat that needed to be dewormed even when the counts were low. He just didn't have the immune system to handle even a low worm load. Since they are in a new place, it can affect them more too. But definitely add the alfalfa. Glad they don't have a bad parasite load.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would add alfalfa to their diets for sure to add a nutritional boost for both. Deworm the thin one as well. I'm thinking the grass alone is not enough for her metabolism and the pregnant one will benefit from the nutrition as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I got my goat he was extremely skinny also. I started feeding him just a little if his new food then began increasing it. Once he fattened up I cut back on his food to we're it needs to be. Also you can use some beet pulp which helps. Also I offered him some branches of honey suckle which he loved!!! He also had diarrhea so the way I described how I fed him above took care of it!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts