Thin mature Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bamaherd, Nov 21, 2017.

1. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/thin-doe.187063/#post-2078430

I really wish this thread was active until completion. Our mama is also quite thin despite gorging herself! She eats and eats...we know the issue isn't parasites. We administered Cydectin shortly after she kidded (the original dose and a "booster" 10 days later). I'm giving her Alfalfa oat hay cubes (broken up) and a couple cups of goat feed a day.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would get a fecal for worms and cocci.
    Cocci can raise it's ugly head, in time of stress with no scouring, just weight loss.

How much is in the hay cubes? She might not be getting enough. If I remember right, the cubes are small?

What kind of grain is she getting?

catharina and bamaherd like this.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    It might be cocci. Even if she doesn't have it now, it can scar the intestines and make it hard for them to get the nutrients they need.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How long ago did she kid and how many kids is she nursing?

A couple cups of goat feed is not enough to keep good weight and produce milk if she is feeding 2 or 3 kids full time or if you are milking her. She needs at least 2 POUNDS of feed per day to support that. She will not gain weight during lactation. Once you wean the kids away from her then you can focus on weight gain.

I agree, have a fecal analysis done. Just because she was dewormed with Cydectin doesn't mean parasites are not an issue. Not all dewormers treat all parasites and a new parasite load can develop in just a few weeks in a stressed goat.

Also, external parasites (lice or mites) and mineral deficiencies can drag an animal down too.

catharina, goatblessings and bamaherd like this.
  5. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    I am so sorry it took a while to get to y’all!! Thank you so much for your responses! It’s been crazy around here since Thanksgiving and this thread completely slipped my mind. She has put some weight on since but not as much as we’d like. They’re actually big cubes for horses but we break each cube up for the goats. The cubes seem to be in layers that we can just separate into smaller pieces. We are giving her Dumor Goat Sweet Feed Mix (in moderation: about 12oz a day). She won’t eat as much regular goat feed and since we are trying to get her weight up, we are letting her splurge. Lol! She kidded on Oct 29 with twins. A doe and buck. The kids are doing great. Our vet disbudded them yesterday.

I do believe she had lice last week. She was rubbing the bridge of her nose a lot. Initially, I didn’t think anything of it. Goats rub! But she developed a bald spot where she was rubbing. We put 2cc of Cylence on her back and between her shoulders. As a precaution, we kept the kids away for a couple of hours to let it absorb. We treated the rest of our herd as well, to be safe. I normally give them Cylence once a month but I skipped hers because she was so heavily pregnant. Since then, her hair has re-grown.

It was eyebrow raising when you mentioned external parasites. Perhaps that was the issue.

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad all is well, good work. :)

bamaherd likes this.
  7. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    Thank you!!

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    Ok y'all...I'm reopening the case. Today she looks very skinny. She's eating very well but not gaining weight. Would she have any other symptoms if it was internal parasites? How would you suggest fattening her up? She is lactating and we are milking her for human consumption. Thanks!

9. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Is she anemic? What is she getting for minerals?

10. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    We haven’t checked her eyelids but she has normal energy levels. Would she be lethargic if she was anemic? For minerals, she sometimes chews on a Dumor Goat mineral block. Sometimes, I do add Manna Pro goat minerals to their feed. I know that isn’t the best choice for minerals but I’m trying to use it before I get a replacement. I give Replamin once a month. I’ve never given copper or anything like that.

11. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Can you post photos of her? Lethargy doesn't always go with anemia.

catharina likes this.
  12. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    I will definitely take some tomorrow am. Any certain picture? Like tail, face, etc

13. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Not really anything in particular. Just a couple photos might help us determine if she has a mineral deficiency, and if so what kind.

bamaherd likes this.
  14. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    I hope so! I feel like a bad mama seeing her so thin. Thank you so much Suzanne

15. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Well, I can already tell you that she's probably mineral deficient, because she's not getting nearly enough nutrition.
    Replamin Plus - 5 days in a row to load and then once a week after that.
    You should be able to find Purina products, if not we'll help you with a different brand. Actually Purina is at the bottom of my list for good food and Dumor pretty much is in the toilet.
    Those blocks aren't for minerals, they are protein blocks.
    Try to find: Purina Wind and Rain Storm cattle minerals, Onyx: Right now cattle minerals, Sweetlix Dairy for goats, or stick with Manna Pro but, they need to be free choice at all times.
    Better foods would be Noble dairy parlor, Purina mini horse and pony, or mix up your own out of whole grains.
    She needs way more than 2 cups of feed to satisfy her kids and you, plus she needs long stem baled hay, about 3 pounds a day and alfalfa pellets if feeding grass hay.
    The pictures will help us determine where she is and what needs done though so, don't be shy, we've seen it all lol.

16. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    Terrific advice! Thanks!! She does get true bale hale unlimited. We keep their hay rack stocked. We are headed to the feed store so we will look for these products.

catharina likes this.
  17. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    Here are some pictures of Boogie. She will be 4 on the 23rd of this month. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We read on a much older post in this forum that Calf Manna can help with weight gain. Any thoughts?

catharina likes this.
  18. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I have used calf manna in the past, it is great for weight gain.

She does look copper deficient. I'd give her a copper bolus in addition to whatever goathiker mentioned :)

19. bamaherd

bamaherd Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Alabama
    Great!! We just bought Calf Manna, Wind and Rain minerals, and beet pulp. Would you feed straight Calf Manna or add it to her grain feed? She weighs about 55lbs, we bought the 24g copper. Is 24g too much for her?

catharina likes this.