The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up with goats, but they were more pets that lived on the pasture so I really don't know that much about taking care of them besides what I have read. A couple of years ago my husband and I took a little vacation to visit my aunt. Her daughter can only drink goat milk so that is all they had and I have been craving goat milk ever since.

I am wanting Nubians for milk but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I dive in... because, well I am a planner.

1) We have a little under 3 acres, which the goats will only be able to have about 1/4 of it so I'm sure their pen will be dirt in no time. Do goats need hay in front of them all day or do they only need a certain amount a day? Or do they need grass hay all day with better quality hay given once a day?

2) I have been lurking a lot the past couple of days reading all I can and I understand that feed rations will go up and down depending on a lot of variables like body condition, pregnant/or not, milking etc. Does anyone have an average amount of feed that 1 Nubian Doe will go through in a month. I just want to know if I am looking at 2 bags a month, 4 bags a month etc. I know it will probably vary from month to month but I have no idea how much feed a goat needs on average.

3) How often do you deworm them? The only thing I have found talked about deworming around the time they kid. Do they not get dewormed every 6 weeks like a horse?

4) Does anyone know of any Nubian breeders near Amarillo, Tx? I want to start out with good stock in case I decide to take this further then just milking them.

Ok I'll cut this short for now. I have a tendency to get long winded so you all will have to forgive me. Love the forum, I have learned so much already.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Welcome to the forum ;)

1) We have a little under 3 acres, which the goats will only be able to have about 1/4 of it so I'm sure their pen will be dirt in no time. Do goats need hay in front of them all day or do they only need a certain amount a day? Or do they need grass hay all day with better quality hay given once a day?
goats should have browse or hay free choice all the time..and loose minerals for goats..
2) I have been lurking a lot the past couple of days reading all I can and I understand that feed rations will go up and down depending on a lot of variables like body condition, pregnant/or not, milking etc. Does anyone have an average amount of feed that 1 Nubian Doe will go through in a month. I just want to know if I am looking at 2 bags a month, 4 bags a month etc. I know it will probably vary from month to month but I have no idea how much feed a goat needs on average.
As you said..depends on goat condition, bred, open or lactating..Our does get a minimum of 3# feed ration twice a day..more when tey are producing milk..the old saying , you got to feed them to milk them, is very very true..

3) How often do you deworm them? The only thing I have found talked about deworming around the time they kid. Do they not get dewormed every 6 weeks like a horse?
I worm before breeding, after kidding and only as needed there after...fecals and famancha score chart are ways to know when needed as well as condition, health and so forth which when in question a fecal will clear it up.

4) Does anyone know of any Nubian breeders near Amarillo, Tx? I want to start out with good stock in case I decide to take this further then just milking them.
I dont know of any one but I can sure ask around : )

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Cathy answered the way I would have :)

BEFORE you get any goats, A secure fence and a shelter are a must.... for full sized goats, galvanized stock panels would make a nice sturdy pen, for convenience as well as your comfort, a small barn or large utility shed would be good for shelter, milking, feed storage etc. And... at least 2 goats as they do thrive with a companion :)

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Just be prepared they are more expensive to keep than you think. I found out already.
Yes.it can cost but the benefits can out way the cost :) My husband always said it would be cheaper to buy raw goats milk from some one than how much it cost for us ot have goats ( WE STILL HAVE FIVE KIDS AT HOME..3 ARE TEENAGERS!!)...YEP hes right..but then we wouldnt know what was in our milk, what the goats were exposed to or have the pleasure of these amazing creatures companionship...not to mention the lessons they teach ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ack I have written this twice and keep hitting the wrong button on the keyboard.

Long story short,Thank you for the responses.

I have a barn that they will have access to 30'x20' of it. It is well insulated and the other side houses my Serama chickens in the winter because they can't handle the cold at all. It is even heated enough to take the chill out of the air on the inside.

Their pen will be as strong as Fort Knox. I don't have to worry about predators but I do have to worry about my Doberman who was allowed to chase livestock before I got her. She loves puppies, kids, and cats... but I just don't care to even chance it with the goats with the whole prey drive thing. Other then a strong fence there will be 2 strands of hotwire on the dog's side to keep her from jumping or digging.

I have horses so I can understand how expensive animals can be. I'm really not in it thinking it will be cheap. I was just asking on the amount of feed so I had a ball park figure to go off of because I want to be as prepared as possible.

I plan on having 2-3 goats, just asking about one so I could do the math accordingly.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
It is wise to plan...Sounds like your ducks are is a row : )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is wise to plan...Sounds like your ducks are is a row : )
Thanks, I don't feel like it though. Those are the only ducks I have lined up right now lol. The shelter and fencing part was easy for me. As far as actual care for a goat and what they need and don't need is what I am still trying to wrap my head around.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Basic care is the best place to begin, you have the shelter taken care of and fencing, Now you need to know what you want to feed them, grain, hay/alfalfa, dont forget loose minerals...if you are going to have bucks..understand Urniary calculi so you feed them proper..and fresh water of course...then think about emergecy meds..The things if you need them, you need them now and dont want to have to go find them, Some hard to grab things are, RX meds from the vet, such as antibiotic ( I like Nuflor) and Banamine which is for pain, fever reducer and anti-infammintory,,, Things you might need to order such as , C D Antitoxin, for enteriotoxemia and any time the rumen is off, once you have your emergency stuff gathered (what I listed is not complete) then add to the med chest as you can, there is a thread here on what is needed, many web sights have lists..and if you arn't sure which is best..ask, we all have an opinion lol :D...
Read..and read some more...I read all of goats-link.com and refered to the link many times when I was new to goats..Tenensseemeatgoats has great articles you can work through...But as with anything...you will learn as you go and you have plenty of friends right here to help you along....best wishes

·
Registered
635 Posts
I feed a dozen full sized goats 4 -3 string bales of Timothy/Orchard grass hay a week. i probably overfeed a bit but nobody's too fat. I buy one bag of Sweetlix Magnum Milk a month @ about 20 bucks a bag.
The bales are about a hundred pounds. So that figures out to 1600 lbs a month divided by 12 or 133lbs each per month. Divided by 30 days equals about 4 1/2 lbs a day per animal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts