The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of converting an old barn on our property into a goat barn. I have 3 nigerian dwarf does(and some babies coming soon ;)). The barn is 16 ft 5 in by 12 ft and will have a fenced area that will be approx 20' x 30'. So my question is, what does your goat set-up look like, and what would you change?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My set up isn't exactly finished, in fact my goats are staying in my horse barn, but I can share the ideas I'm putting into it and think are important.

Easy access to the fields. It's a pain to walk everyone to the pasture so I want to be able to just have a small door I can open on their sleeping area to let them out. A small kidding stall for breeding. An overhang off the pasture part. We did that with our horse barn and it's nice for them to have any area to go in if there's some kind of last minute rain. Plus its handy to put hay in there so it stays dry. Some sort of milking parlor with a sink and running water. And I think that's it.. Hope that gives you some ideas :)

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I like having my portable panels so I can set up a kidding area when needed and take it down when not needed.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Also on your overhang if it isn't up yet, go a minimum of 10 feet but do 12 feet if you can. Then it creates another area for them to hang out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the portable panel idea! Can I just have the field connected to the barn and have free access to the shelter? Or do I have to stall all of them separately like the horses?

·
14,615 Posts
Unless it's kidding time they can all hang together.

Having motion detectors has been a biggie here, no fumbling for light switch.
Make sure all gates to any stall are wide enough to fit a wheelbarrow through.:hammer:

Karen's idea for expanding the overhang is brilliant!

·
558 Posts
Your barn sounds really close to the dimensions of mine. Here are some pictures.
I really like having a split barn door. That way we can lock them in and still leave the top open to let in a breeze.
We put in a cheap window to let light in. It was only like $40 dollars but I think it looks cute.
We have a raised bed in the corner made simply from 2 skids and some osb on top.
We left the top of the barn (soffit area) open to allow for ventilation. Even on hot days it did't get too stuffy in there.
On the front taller side of the barn we have hay storage overhead.
Lots of high shelving for all your supplies. We just screwed 2x10s we had laying around to the barn framing and some wire shelving we had left over from our closets.
We have a post in the center so I can put up temporary panels for when we need a kidding area.
So far this setup have worked for us.....

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
I would turn our barn into an animal barn! Right now, the upstairs is furniture and book storage. Downstairs, we store up to 12 bales of hay and our grain. We also walk the goats over to milk in there. Unfortunately, I have to share the bottom with a giant row boat, fishing supplies, and a plethora of tools. If I was allowed to turn it into an animal barn, I would! However, my goats have to settle for a shelter a few feet away. :ponder:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ Goatiegirl- what is that hay feeder thing? How does it work?

Right now, the barn is attached to our main barn that has Dad's *junk* in it. There is a sliding door that separates the goat place from the main barn and the a sliding door on the east end(with the main barn on the west end). I was thinking about putting a gate up in the doorway between the two barns so I can open the door and let breeze blow through. Does that sound ok? There are 2 other windows on the south end, will that be enough airflow?

The floor is cement, is that ok for the goats? I really don't want to spend all the time pulling it up, so should I have somesort of bedding or mats on top?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm a newbie :)

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Things I have found to be very beneficial

1. Electricity
2. Hot and cold water
3. An outside, communal, open walled but
completely covered area
4. A nice sturdy stainless steel table
5. I have a set of cabinets that are sealed against mice, moisture and goats
where I store medicine, treats, minerals and supplies
6. A separate hay loft.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
The concrete floor is perfect. You can clean it thoroughly, with bleach and sprinkle with sevin dust. Get 2 cheap window fans to help with directional airflow, and the breezeway is a grand idea.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The floor is cement, is that ok for the goats? I really don't want to spend all the time pulling it up, so should I have somesort of bedding or mats on top?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm a newbie :)
I have cement floors in my goat barn and I just put mats down to cover them. I think you prob could get away with plenty of bedding on top but it could get cold in the winter. I wouldn't spend time and money taking the concrete out though.

·
2,377 Posts
Things I would change? I would make it a reality and build it if I could and stop imagining it all. Can't wait to get started on ours.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can I just get Sevin dust at TSC or something? How do you do water? We have "chicken nipples" for the chickens and love them, I have seen bigger ones for pigs and such, would those work? Also, how do you feed the hay? I have hay racks for the horses that I could use, but I am afraid they could get their little necks caught in the bars(since they get smaller on the bottom).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My wish list:

Concrete floor
Sink
Water (have to run hose 200 ft from my house)
Seperate kidding stall

1 - 20 of 23 Posts