Think I figured out the poo

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Thanatos, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok I think I got it, I will still wait for the fecal today or Mon. As I was mixin oatmeal in her now adjusted morning grain for milkin(I use purina goat chow) I noticed the little sticks that are in it, they are kinda like gerbal food lookin, were MOLDY!!!!! The mold had just become visible and I was paying much more attention to the feed cause I was hand mixing the oatmeal in. So now its off to the feed store(we dont have a TCS here :cry: ) and hope that they have a bag in since they order it for me special. Like I said no goat support in tucson. So we shall now see if this is the issue. Thanks all for the support and help.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oo moldy food is not good - good thing you caught it.

If they dont have goat feed get some sweet horse feed for the time being. Thats what I have used and even mixed it in with my goats feed

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Cool thx. Still gotta wait for the fecal. And Luna decided today was mommy act like kidd day and she made me chase her round the yard after milkin so I could put her up. She also made sure to jump on all of the goat toys as well.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so glad... you caught the mold ...it isn't good at all...it can kill a goat.... :worried:
    Keep us updated on the fecal.... :hug:

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I use Purina Goat Chow too & my goats seem to do the best on that. It took almost 2 years to get the feed store around here to understand that if they want my business (not just the goat feed, but the horse, chicken and dog supplies too), they need to keep the Purina Goat Chow in stock. However, it should not sit around for 6 months on the shelf either because it will get moldly. They don't particularly care for my "high maintenance" request, but they certainly like the $150 per month I spend there regularly. That doesn't even include the dewormer, bug spray & other miscellaneous stuff I pick up there when it's in stock.

The nearest TSC to me is almost 2 hours away, but I still go there if the feed store pisses me off again.

Also be careful with your hay storage = off the floor on pallets & away from the sides of the barn. Tarp the top to keep pigeon poop off of it too cause that's not good for the animals either.

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yep alfalfa is stored off the ground(not covered so gotta do that) the rest is stored on concrete in garage dry. I need to get the steel trash cans w lids to put the feed bags in tho.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I never use a grain with corn or molasses, it alone can cause the poops. I only feed oats, wheat Milo and Barley.

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I would love to custom mix, but I haven't found either a recipie or a store that can, plus she like the molassas :greengrin: . And her milk ROCKS.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Nope mold is not good at all. neither is old grain, it gets kind of an old yuck way to it after it sits for so long.
    I agree with the no mollasses or corn either. Though i find if i take my girls completly off the corn they lose weight. Even if i up the hay (which is out free choice) they just eat less. I dont have a lot of storage room, just enough room for five trash cans, Three fof them contain the rolled barely rolled oats and rolled corn, one has black oil sunflower seeds the last has alfalfa pellets. Then i use a rubbermaid container for flax seed.
    its pretty simple and this way i can mix the grain according to each goats needs. I never like the pre mixed grains because i never really knew what they are eating. And i like to know what they are eating so i know what im eating/drinking in turn.
    beth

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Well untill I can get my NEW feed store to get a dairy blend for my goats in Luna will be eatin Purina show goat. Bout the same nutriants as the goat chow but the feed looks kinda like hampster food pellets. the other feed store promised to call after checkin their stock of chow for mold and a new loose mineral(sweet licks) I wanted but they never called. And my wife went to the new one and discovered they actually have a GOAT section. :clap: :clap: :leap: now i have to and "interview" the people there.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

did you take your moldy bag back to the store?
    beth

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    They said I had it too long :( I was about 1 month old.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thats not good. One reason i dont like the feed with mollasses on it...it molds a lot faster, but if stored in a bin it shouldnt mold. that quick.

beth

14. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yep gonna get metal cans Tues.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

that should help. even the plastic ones do. I know a lot of people that say rats chew through their plastic ones, never had a problem here. But we hav an empty open can away from the others, that we put a wood box beside and throw a couple handfuls of grain in. rats and mice can get in but cant get out. then we fill it with water and dump it in the woods. sounds mean i guess but then i dont have poisen and traps around for little alpine noses to get into.
    beth

16. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: I love the redneck multi mouse trap. BTW i plan to use that idea(hadnt thought of it) I have no problem with the death of rodents in large numbers. but our chicken help keep the mouse pop down by killin and eating them(better than cats to :shades: )

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A couple years previous we had a BAD BAD squirrel problem and they ate through the plastic trashcan in multiple locations (on the lid) :angry: I then had a mouse problem another year and they started to get in but only because the lid had holes in it from the squirrels. So I got over my fear of dead mice real quick! ick

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Beth...I love how you take care of rodents! I am having trouble with mice in my chicken coop and I didn't want to use traps or poision and I just hate sticky traps, now they are mean in my opinion!
    Oh, and my chickens just sit there and watch the mice run right pass them :hair: !

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It works pretty good....i got the idea when i left a lid off a can when it was just about empty. the next morning i didnt know what to do with the two rats that were jumping up and down in there wanting to get out. i didnt want to let them loose only to make more rodents and cause more problems for my barn. So i just put enough water in there till they were swimming, a few minutes later it was over.
    beth

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hopefully it was just the feed situation and glad that you caught it when you did!

As far as the mice go..I don't lie the idea of poisens aroun eiher I have a dog that catches them better than any cat and I use my sister's idea of a trap, she has kids so she has to use something "safe". A metal coffee can with a lid, cut a small hole in the center of the plastic lid, about the size of a quarter....put a dollop of peanut butter in the can....mice smell it and go after it but can't get back out, then I use Beth's "baptismal" method to dispose of them.