The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would make a new thread because my other thread, that has almost nothing to do with this topic isn't getting hits.
So, I've been thinking about getting a different show doe.
Her name is Mosaic lalita.
Sire:
Mosaic crown Lyon
Dam:
Mosaic crown Lydia

She looks great to me but I would like to get a few more opinions.
This is her pedigree:

Light Product Font Screenshot Line

And this is her dam's linear report:

Rectangle Font Line Screenshot Parallel

Last photo is her dam.
So, what do you guys think?
Anything is appreciated!!!

Attachments

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
i don't especially like mom's foreudder, but that may be improved upon depending on the buck's background. Doeling looks a little posty in the legs and her rump seems a little steep, but otherwise she looks good.

For that type of money I would find another that was really good. Hardly any faults is what that price would be for, IMO. Especially since she is so young.

·
Registered
600 Posts
She is a very nice doeling, but after thinking I agree with Grace, keep looking around. You should be able to find an amazing doeling for that price :) I checked out her sire, and it seems very odd that this doeling would have such a steep rump, considering that her dam and sire both have decently level ones. She should have a great looking udder though lol! Mind you, she is still young, she may just be in an awkward stage and isn't looking her best atm. You could take a chance on her, she may turn out to be a very amazing doe based on the animals in her pedigree, however, she may not and turn out to be an average goat. Be careful and don't jump into anything too fast, that's when you will overlook something and become disappointed.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is not pregnant.
Yet.
I believe those pictures were from when she was a little younger.... Not quite sure but they are the ones on his website and I remember seeing her on there around 2 months ago.
I'm thinking she is in her awkward stage... Lol or was in that picture cause look at her, it looks like she doesn't even have a brisket, or barely does.

Her rump does seem steep. That is one if the FIRST things I thought of.
Is it possible that it's the way her body is reaching? Cause I couldn't figure out why hers is so steep & her dam's is nice.

Only reason I would jump for her is it is very different bloodlines than what we have in Florida, (she was shipped in from colorado) and there are almost no nubian breeders around me with Purebred or even American nubians!! to get something so decent is hard around here. Also the reason why I would be able to except the price.

Someone did day they saw her sire? I haven't been able to find a picture of him. Could you tell me where to find him at? Please!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha yeah, don't wanna do that again!!

I will be going to look at/possibly pick her up somewhere in the beginning to mid June.
I'm going to see if they could get one more picture of her.

I really hope they can!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
**those pictures were from when she was 3.5 months old**

AND I found her sire and his dam and his dams dam and his maternal half sister and yeah:)
This is what I found tell me what you think cause I think that base is covered greatly!:

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
You do realize that her parents are full siblings right? That might cause some problems.

Her sire and dam are very beautiful. I also agree about her sloped rump. She is lacking in length and, like you pointed out ;), she has absolutely NO brisket. Since she is so young in the pictures, you might want to ask for recent pictures if you are really interested.

Her dam doesn't milk out too much for her daughter to be priced at $500 either. It depends really on what you want her for- I am assuming show, and not milk production? I like her dam's udder. The fore-udder seems fine IMO, I think the picture is just tilted.

I hope you can make the right choice on this ;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do realize that her parents are full siblings right? That might cause some problems.

Her sire and dam are very beautiful. I also agree about her sloped rump. She is lacking in length and, like you pointed out ;), she has absolutely NO brisket. Since she is so young in the pictures, you might want to ask for recent pictures if you are really interested.

Her dam doesn't milk out too much for her daughter to be priced at $500 either. It depends really on what you want her for- I am assuming show, and not milk production? I like her dam's udder. The fore-udder seems fine IMO, I think the picture is just tilted.

I hope you can make the right choice on this ;)
Thanks trinity!(; I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I could get even just one new picture of her.
He did say that her teat placement wasnt gunna be great but it wa good that he feels like her teats will be spread out a little bit.

Someone else had mentioned that they're full siblings but I just realized that!! Oops.
I don't mind. I think it's a big no no, I personally would NOT do that however I can't change that. Haha
When I looked up her inbred thing it said 31% inbred.

Light Azure Rectangle Screenshot Font

Her dam milked out 13 pounds he said. That's not a lot? IMO that'd be a lot (course I do have nigie's!(; )
No I am lookin for show and just a little goats milk. I'm not supplying any for a family. Just me then my moms glass of milk every two weeks. Haha
But I feel like she was standing weird. Course I will DEFF be asking for Atleast one picture before I go down there.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
13 pounds isn't really that much. 1 gallon is 8 pounds.
13pounds = a bit over a gallon and a half.

My first Freshener does milk approximately 16-18 pounds a day, some milk more.
I have a doe that milks over 3 gallons a day.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That's really good!!
Down here it's hard to find anything over a gallon
Like I've said before, there's not much for nubians.:/
It's mainly Nigerians.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
That's really good!!
Down here it's hard to find anything over a gallon
Like I've said before, there's not much for nubians.:/
It's mainly Nigerians.
I have to agree. I've been wanting a Nubian so I started talking to dairy breeder here's and they say anything a gallon a day or more is a good milker. One lady said she had all 1gallon or more but it was usually around a gallon and that was considered good. She told me if I wanted sole production I may want to find a different breed because nubians aren't known to be heavy milkers....not sure if that is true but that's what I was told by a well known breeder here

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to agree. I've been wanting a Nubian so I started talking to dairy breeder here's and they say anything a gallon a day or more is a good milker. One lady said she had all 1gallon or more but it was usually around a gallon and that was considered good. She told me if I wanted sole production I may want to find a different breed because nubians aren't known to be heavy milkers....not sure if that is true but that's what I was told by a well known breeder here
I wouldn't know either. I do Nigerians.
But it's hard to even find a gallon milker.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
It is true, Nubians are bred for milk taste and butterfat, and less for production. It depends on what you would rather have- Creamier milk... or more milk.

1 gallon a day is great for a Nubian family milking doe. A family milking doe being a non-show, non-$500 doe. All of ours give 1 gallon a day, and we sell doelings (though unregistered) for $150.

It is very hard to find the right goat in some areas. We live in a close-to-no-Boers,-it's-like-they're-extinct region. Sometimes I wish shipping wasn't such a hassle.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is true, Nubians are bred for milk taste and butterfat, and less for production. It depends on what you would rather have- Creamier milk... or more milk.

1 gallon a day is great for a Nubian family milking doe. A family milking doe being a non-show, non-$500 doe. All of ours give 1 gallon a day, and we sell doelings (though unregistered) for $150.

It is very hard to find the right goat in some areas. We live in a close-to-no-Boers,-it's-like-they're-extinct region. Sometimes I wish shipping wasn't such a hassle.
That's EXACTLY what it is here for nubians :/
I got another picture of her today but she's on a hill.
Makes her look not so great.
Here it is:

Carnivore Dog breed Terrestrial animal Working animal Tail

Attachments

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts

This is the only time I've heard of a doe giving over 2 gallons. ;) In south CA, it's great to have a doe of any breed produce over a gallon and a half.

As to not being bred well, around here Nubians are pretty popular as milkers.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts