Thinking about disbudding....again!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by logansmommy7, Aug 11, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    So, I have another doe to kid in about 5 weeks. Hopefully we will have doelings this go round, but don't want to count my chickens, so to speak... :cool:

What disbudding iron is best for Nigerian Dwarf goats? I have heard something about the X-30 (you can get from Jeffers) but wanted to get all opinions.

Thanks in advance and I do NOT look forward to doing this....(will have experienced person help the first time, of course!!!!) :shrug:

2. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Hunter, we have a Rhinehart (sp?) with a special tip for the Nigerians (I can't remember the name of the size, I'll look tonight when I put everyone away). In addition to that, my husband built a disbudding box with a kit from either Caprine or Jeffers. That box REALLY helps because it keeps the goat's little body still. Then, he holds the head and ears still and I work the iron. The first time we did it, we did it to copper, like we read that we were supposed to, and it wasn't enough. Pancho's horns grew anyway. When I disbudded Delta, I made sure I burned until I got a white ring all the way around. And hers haven't grown back. You could just take a trip over here after Eva and your goat both kid, and we could disbud all of them together...
    -Tina

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    That would be AWESOME Tina! Really? I don't think we are that far away and would love to see it done first hand. Marcie is due around September 15...how about Eva?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Tina is right - burn till you get to the white :)

The Rhinehart X30 is good. I like the 1/2 inch size. Anything smaller is just not worth it.

5. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Sure, Hunter! Even if Marcie goes first (who knows when Eva's due, really?) :wink: it's not far for you to bring the babies over here. And we've already got everything here. That way, you can see whether you like our iron and the box we have before you buy anything/make anything. I looked while I was up in the barn, and we have a Rhinehart X50A with a 1/2" or 5/8" tip (there aren't any numbers on it, but I know it's one of those - it's the one the lady at Jeffers suggested when we told her we have Nigerians).
    -Tina

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Excellent! How far are we from you? I wasn't totally sure. I know it isn't THAT far. I'm going to start planning. How old are your kids when you disbud? I'm thinking between 1-2 weeks? Let me know and we will come! Can't wait...and thanks for the offer!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im going to take a stab and say its 1 hour because thats what it was to your church when we all met there. :)

8. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    We have the X30, but I agree with Stacey - get the 1/2". We got ours from Jeffers, and got the X30 with the small tip. It's too small. We ended up drilling the hole out and making it bigger. It's fine now, but was just too small if you waited more than a day or two to disbud.

9. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Anyone want to volunteer to show me how? :greengrin: WV is a bit far to drive.

I'm near Rochester NY

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    NJ isnt much better but I would offer to show you if I had kids to disbud. But I dont :(

11. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Hunter - Yep, I think it took me about an hour and a half, so Stacey was awfully close. And I think we disbudded Delta at two weeks, and that was almost too long to wait. Just shoot me an email (or a message on FB) when you're ready. Any Saturday or Sunday would be fine. If you want to do a mapquest to double-check the distance, we're in Union, West Virginia; and the zip is 24983.
    PznIvyFarm - there's a photo step-by-step that we used when we disbudded our first goats. I don't have the website written down anymore, but I saved the instructions and photos in Word. I'd be glad to email it to you, if you'd like. Just let me know.
    -Tina

12. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Sounds good Tina-the kids should be here mid September, so we will come on a Sat/Sun right after they are born...we'll be in touch though! :)