Thinking about getting some milk goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by turtlebutte goats, Dec 21, 2008.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I am thinking about getting a small herd of mini dairy goats, mostly lamancha and nigerians. I only have 2 goats now, both pygmys, 1 being a fainter. I am new to the goat thing, and am thinking about getting this small herd so I have something I can have bred. My question is, I am not interested in milking at all, I just dont have the time. How do I go about drying up these newbies? Can it be done rather quickly? I have no idea how to milk and want to dry them without having to milk at all. Is this possible?

Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First off lamanchas are not mini unless you get minimanchas which are a cross between Lamanchas and Nigieran Dwarfs

Yes you dont have to milk them. Just leave the kids on mom for 3 months and let mom do the weaning. IF she doesnt wean them herself you may have to "milk" her a little every couple days to ensure she doesnt get to full and develope mastitis. But generally if you leave the kids on mom and dont milk they will wean the kids on their own with causes their production to go down and stop all together.

3. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks for the information. I guess I need to get more information on the goats I may be getting. I presumed they were older goats who were currently being milked, without little ones at their side. If this is the case, could I pose the same question as above, can I dry them up without alot of effort? Thanks a bunch!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    drying off is a process I wont lie. If the is use to being milked for a longer time then drying her off will be more difficult but not impossible. It really depends on how much she is producing how often you will have to milk her to slow her production.

To dry off a doe I usualy cut out a milking every couple days till I can only milk her once a day. And even then I am not milking her all the way out. I milk just enough to relieve the pressure in her udder. This tells her body it doesnt need to keep producing as much milk.

Slowly you can cut out mroe and more milkings till you dont have to milk at all.

Each goat is different like I said above, so tailor this to their needs and take as long as 2 weeks up to 6 weeks to dry her off. You shouldnt need more then that to dry her off.

5. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    If she has been milking regularly for any length of time she should be ready to dry off. I have Alpines and they are freshening March/April and milk 300 to 305 days before I dry them off. When I dry goats off, I do it 2 ways
    If the goat is giving 6lbs or more daily I go to once a day for 2 weeks and then stop all together I check her after 10 days and strip her out
    If giving less than 6lbs I quit alltogether and check her after 10 days and strip her out
    They usually absorb the milk after 5 or 6 days and their hormones shut down.
    Of course depending on the breed you can go by her present production based on her normal amount.
    If you are going to rebreed for kids you can let her raise them and when they are weaned dry her off again