The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to get a pig for a long time.
Thing is, I don't want one of those Giant Monstrosities! LoL

I would like to find a pig breed that will be under 200 pounds, and will do VERY well in the winter. (And we are talking about Alaskan Winters here)
Would also like a breed that grows quickly, but doesn't have a bunch of health issues that come along with that (like the cornish cross chicken breed).

Anyone have any recommendations?

There are NO smaller pigs to be found anywhere in the State here. Everyone has these Huge monsters, which I do not want.
I am even thinking about purchasing 2 females and a male, to be able to offer a 'smaller' pig type for those of us here who don't have 20+ acres. (We only have an acre ourselves).
We will probably be buying these guys out of state as piglets, so if you know of a breeder who has them, that would be a fabulous bonus! (If not, I can always research and see if I can find someone)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Guinea hogs can easily get to 200lbs as well. There really isn't a pig that won't grow big.

Pigs advertised as the Micro Mini, ot Teacup pigs, are scams IMO. They are just people selling newborn piglets (at least out here, I've never seen a real micro pig.)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have Juliana pigs and they are truly small. My full grown, adult pigs weigh 25-35 lbs. I don't think they would do well in cold temps though. Would be better for you to look at Kune Kunes or potbellies.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been reading about the American Guinea, and I am leaning towards them actually. The Kune Kune are just TOO darned cute, and I will never be able to part with a single piglet, and I can't have that. LoL
AND, it says they LOVE humans, and enjoy company, and the likes, and that would be a nightmare for me! (Forget me ever eating my pig!) LOL

I really have to think logically. LoL I KNOW how I am. I get VERY attached, and will somehow have to find a way dis-associate myself from any pigs we keep for meat. Not sure how well I would deal with eating 'Wilbur" for dinner. LoL

·
Never poke a sleeping Pom...
149 Posts
The American Guinea is probably best for you but would still need some protection from the cold in Alaska. Kune Kune's are also good however they tend to be rather expensive to acquire.

A truly small pig that has not had the extensive in breeding that brought pot bellies to their various sizes is the Juliana. However, they do not get very big, large male being 30 or so pounds when full grown, but they are really expensive, running into a few thousand bucks each

American Guinea's are a heritage breed and adult males can reach 250 lbs but there are quite tame and have very distinct personalities. The best benefit to the guinea is that it is a grazing hog so will not root up everything in sight. Our two, George and Martha, have there own little paddock are of around 1/8 acre but are out grazing with the goats and are free ranged with the goaties (all under supervision of course).

If I were to recommend one, it would be the Guinea's. But do your homework first...better to be informed than to have to start out in the dark <---been there, done that :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts