Thinking of buying some new additions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Boers4ever, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hello y’all! I just bought a new girl. Now I am thinking of buying this HUGE buck in February. Just wondering what you guys thought of him. His feet are pretty wild but I can get them into shape. He weighs 280# and is 4 yrs old.
    IMG_4516.jpg IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4517.jpg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

He's quite the big boy!

3. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Yes he is! The pics definitely do not do his size justice.

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I don't know much about conformation, but I think he looks pretty good! I love that all that loose skin he's got. He's a BEAST. Looks like he's got good muscling, depth and length. And what a beard! I love him.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Is he a kiko Boer x? He's a nice size boy.

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Wow what a man

7. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Nope he his full blood Boer.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    His tailhead drop is drastic.

Hooves have been neglected, right hoof is bending to the side so drastically, it may cause him issues, the hoof is concerning to me.

He is thick.

9. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Did they weigh him on a scale? To me, he doesn’t look 280lbs, but pictures can be deceiving. Just don’t want them bluffing to you on weight.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  10. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    His hind end is very steep. Definitely not ideal. Those hooves will need a lot of work too. I also question the 280 lbs. But pictures can be deceiving. For comparison this 3 yr old buck weighed in at 250 lbs.
    FB_IMG_1600396973058.jpg electhfhfh (1).jpeg

11. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    How was his weight figured out? Was he actually weighed? Unless that person next to the fence is a giant, I have my doubts of the buck actually being that big...

12. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    We bought a doe from this guys farm. While we were there we were looking at the bucks he had for sale. He said he weighed him a few months ago and he weighed 280. But he also said that he has lost weight since then.
    His pics do not show his size very well. In person he is much bigger. The guy is also a really tall person. I’m 5’1” and I didn’t even come up to his shoulders.
    His feet are very bad. The doe I bought from him had very bad feet too.

13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

You didn't even come up to the buck's shoulder? Nah I'm just teasing you, I know what you meant. :lolgoat:

You should maybe consider the fact that bad feet can be hereditary and not just management practice. You should ask yourself if you would mind those traits in you herd and if you would be okay with breeding them out.

14. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    100% this! (Except I had to read twice on the shoulder part before I understood you meant the man lol but I can be slow :p )
    But the hooves I totally agree on. It will take work to correct but not the end of the world, it’s if he is prone to fast growing hooves that grow wonky that I would be worried about BUT that totally depends on if YOU have the time to deal with that or not. I do not but that doesn’t mean that others and or you don’t either ;)
    I say if you think he has something to add to your herd that is all that matters. I love wrinkles on the chest so of course that’s the first thing I looked at lol

15. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hi again! I have decided to pass on the buck, I figured I’d just keep my lovely dappled boy for a few more years.
    BUT the same farm is now selling a doeling born 5/11/20 with dappled genetics for $400. They are also selling a 7-8 year old doe (they are not sure of the exact DOB since she is not registered) for $200. I haven’t got a picture of the older doe yet but here is a picture of the doeling:
    IMG_5431.jpg
    I think she would make a awesome addition for next year. But what do y’all think? She is not registered.
    If I bought the older doe my thought is to have one round of kids with her and then sell her and keep any doelings she might have. Is that a good plan? I’m just trying to keep my herd fresh and add in some new blood lines.
    Thank you all for helping!

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is the older doe pregnant right now?

Some last for many years and May have no issues.

But do know, some older does may have issues.
    To not conceiving, udder issues, kidding issues.
    Being too thin from toothless issues. So be aware.

17. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    No she is not pregnant at the moment but I will be breeding her in February. I am aware that something might happen with an older doe like her but I am willing to take a chance. We will probably be picking up the younger girl this week.

18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Check well for CL and other problems. I am always wary if they can't even keep the hooves trimmed. I understand an occasional lapse, but consistant problems may indicate other things going on. (Hoof care and fresh water are my two biggest problems with animal owners!).

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Alright I picked up the new paint girl yesterday. Here’s a pic of her.
    IMG_5461.jpg

MadHouse, ksalvagno, bekscott and 2 others like this.