The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this post online for a doe for sale possibly bred saneen purebred want 150 for her. My opinion she looks rough buts it's not a good photo either. What y'all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I found this post online for a doe for sale possibly bred saneen purebred want 150 for her. My opinion she looks rough buts it's not a good photo either. What y'all think?
Wow, she is so narrow in the front, I cannot imagine her having any width in the rear for adequate room for babies or milk production. Just with that chest width alone, I couldn't see her having the capacity to produce enough milk for her own kids. I wouldn't get her unless she's going to be a pet as @SalteyLove said.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked the guy what's he wanting for her . He's already upped the price to 200. It seems sketchy to me

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking for saneen or alpines can any point me in the right direction ? I'm in South Carolina . after getting this handsome buckling he needs some girls

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm looking for saneen or alpines can any point me in the right direction ? I'm in South Carolina . after getting this handsome buckling he needs some girls
Are you an ADGA member? I'm not sure if non members can see it, but they have a list of breeders by state on their website and also in their directory. Spinning Spider is an excellent farm in one of the Carolinas. I believe they have both breeds. You can also do a google search for Saanen and Alpine breeders in South Carolina and you should get quite a few results. I know there are a bunch of farms up there.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Are you an ADGA member? I'm not sure if non members can see it, but they have a list of breeders by state on their website and also in their directory. Spinning Spider is an excellent farm in one of the Carolinas. I believe they have both breeds. You can also do a google search for Saanen and Alpine breeders in South Carolina and you should get quite a few results. I know there are a bunch of farms up there.
I was going to recommend Spinning Spider as well! Awesome folks, and very lovely goats!

I would pass on the doe in the picture, she is just too thin.

Spinning spider is in Marshall, NC.
https://www.spinningspidercreamery.com/the-goats/

·
Registered
595 Posts
Jug-Tavern in GA also has some nice goats.

Also, there are TONS of alpine breeders here in NC.
I'm sure there are many in SC, but I don't remember who they are.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I asked the guy what's he wanting for her . He's already upped the price to 200. It seems sketchy to me
I feel that is a way of saying "I do not want to sell to you" ...

Good luck in finding a high quality doe for your flock founder! The grand-grand-ma-to-be to most of your goats in the future!

·
Registered
609 Posts
A good clue to the milking ability of a doeling is to look at her teats. If she has little short small in circumference teats, then she will be difficult to hand milk for sure. She may give a large quantity but will require a machine to milk her. I am glad you passed on her as I agree with the other replies you got.

·
Registered
595 Posts
A good clue to the milking ability of a doeling is to look at her teats. If she has little short small in circumference teats, then she will be difficult to hand milk for sure. I am glad you passed on her as I agree with the other replies you got.
I think much has to do with with the dairy skin and udder texture too.
I've had kids look they were going to have the tiniest teats ever. But they had proper udder texture and once they freshened, their teats were awesome. I've also seen goats with long teats, freshen and teat length and diameter didn't change much, but those goats didn't have very good udder texture.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got six girls due soon I'm focus my attention on them before I add on might be some girls in this group

1 - 19 of 19 Posts