Thinking of introducing a Nigerian Dwarf to the herd.

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by tracyqh, Sep 24, 2010.

1. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I don't have any mini dairies.... yet. :laugh: My youngest son, (5) just asked if he can get a tiny goat. I love LaManchas and have a 3 already. 2 are only 6 months old and one of those seems very fine and petite. This got me thinking Nigerian Dwarf buck. :D I'm debating on getting a couple bucks anyway that aren't related because I am surrounded by meat goats. No dairy. I thought I could get a couple LaMancha bucks and alternate them through the girls for a few years then trade/sell them for new blood. I have an alpine doe also. Are "mini" bucks easier, harder, same difference to keep then their full size buddies? Also, is there a market for the Mini LaManchas? I don't have registered stock, but would be willing to upgrade when needed. Any thoughts would be greatly apprieciated.

2. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Hi! I'm from Ohio too and just getting into mini-manchas. They fit my needs for a small backyard milker. I too wonder what I'm going to do about future breedings, I don't know if I could keep a buck since we have space limitations. There are a few breeders within an hour of me though. Where are you located? I'm near Columbus. I think the market for them is picking up around here. My starter stock is first and second generation - so not registered, but the third gen babies will be if I find that registered babies sell better. I'm not in it for selling breeding stock (I just want family milkers) but I will do what I can to keep bad genes out of the pool.
    I think the breeder I'm buying from has plenty of bucklings if you need one. She has Nigis and a few mini-Nubians too.

3. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm about an hour south of Columbus in Washington Court House. My boys are too young for 4-H right now, but eventually they will want to take something. They love the goats and they are just a little hobby for us and I plan to milk. I like the idea of knowing where our food comes from. We don't have a lot of land, but i have a place to keep the bucks. I love the LaManchas and from what i have read, the milk is yummy. I'm not so much of a fan of the Nubians. The ones I have been around are a little flighty. The LaMancha and Alpine have been sooooo kind and relaxed.

Hopefully we are close. I'd love to have another "milker" close. We are just getting started, so I'm researching alot.

4. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    I think W.C. is maybe 45 minute to an hour away from me - not too bad! I'm just on the NW side of Columbus. Sounds like we are both doing the hobby farm/self-sufficient thing. Milk is next for us. I haven't tasted the goat's milk yet, but a friend of mine who has a mini-mancha says hers is THE best milk she's ever had. I know it varies by the goat, but the breeder of my goats says theirs is good, so I'm not worried. I cannot wait to get them home :dance: I'll be sure to let you know of any resources I come across.
    My daughter started 4-H last year and we were thinking of doing goats, but I'm just not sure. There is so much procedure and testing involved, and our fair (Franklin Co) had so few goats last year and they were in hideous shape. I'm a little afraid of picking up a disease there.
    I noticed a huge difference in temperment between the Lamanchas and Nubians that our breeder had - her manchas were totally laid back and so quiet! Not so for the Nubians. She said she didn't really care for the Nubs either.
    It's so good to get to know a semi-local! I'm kind of a renegade where we live.

5. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Me too. Everyone thought I was crazy when I decided to get goats. Now they are stopping by to see what is happening at the mini farm! :thumbup: We bought a LaMancha and a Apline this summer and the lady we got them from let me practice milking her other Alpine that she was currently using for her family. It was waaayyyy easier then I had thought. My cousin brought his Savanna buck over and he bred the LaMancha. She hasn't come back into heat, so I'm hoping she took. She'll be due Jan. 28th and I cannot wait!!!! :love: He has his new boer buck turned out with the Alpine right now, but he is only 7 mo. old and doesn't know what's up. Also, she is not coming into heat this early. I think I'm going to forget that cross and take her to an Alpine buck in London, Ohio in Nov. or whenever she comes in. Let me know about any bucklings your breeder has available. I'm also looking for a LaMancha buck. Black and tans are my favs.

I'm glad I found a "semi-homesteader" near me. :hi5:

6. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

By "mini," do you mean Nigerian dwarf too? I have a young Nigerian buck that is really gentle and friendly. He can be stubborn sometimes :wink: but only when I try to lead him (he wasn't broken to lead as a kid.) His small size makes him really easy to handle, and he's not the least bit mean. But he is still amazingly strong for his size!
    Aside from his stubborn streak, he's as easy to care for as the does.

7. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Sounds so exciting to be expecting! I'll email you my breeder's info once I figure out if can do that yet. I haven't hit the minimum posts for PM's. Her website isn't kept up because she has 2 jobs right now and is too busy. When we visited she did have some bucklings but they may have gotten banded by now. I'll check for you, she's really nice. I don't think she has any full size, just the minis and Nigis. But she probably knows someone who does.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Vicki just click the email link instead of the PM link in tracyqh's profile

9. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
  10. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Vicki - See if she has anything that would be okay for my home farm. I think I would like a Nigi buck and a LaMancha. I'm totally stuck on the LaManchas.

11. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    I should be talking to her soon and I'll let her know you are looking.

12. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I love my mini-manchas, they have so much personalit in a small package. As far as a market for them, I believe that they are starting to catch on. I am in South Texas and have people waiting to get kids from me.

Which is wonderful in a way, but I just do not have enough does kidding this year to keep up with what I want to retain and what my customers want.

13. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi if you are in W.C. House im about 45 minutes from you also. I live on the other side of Hillsboro, in Seaman, Ohio. I just sold the cutested little buck. Might have another one available after breeding season just aint sure yet. But its neat that im starting to see more people with goats around me, I was starting to think I was about the only one down this way. lol

14. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm not showing or anything like that. I just need a couple bucks to breed with so I can get milk. I want them to be correct and kind, but if they are lacking abit in the show pen, I'm fine with that. Keep me in mind if you want to sell. Do you know any LaMancha breeders that have some bucklings left over?

15. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    No I really dont know anyone that has any Lamanchas for sale, if I run across any I will let you know though.

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm in SC but raising Nigerians & Mini-Manchas. I have one Lamancha doe who will be bred to a Nigerian. The rest are already minis. If you use a full sized doe and a Nigerian buck (which is safest for the doe) you may have to be creative for ways for the buck to reach her. Milk stand, hills etc to help. I had penned mine together and now I'm not sure if she was in heat and bred or if she wasn't. Can't wait to see those babies.

We have three F1 does and two F2 does and two F1 bucks. Can't wait to see our new mini babies in the Spring!

17. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    That is funny. We have some stumps in the pasture he could hop on! :ROFL:

I keep tossing up the idea of bucks because there is only meat goats around me. Eventally, I would like to retain a doe or something, but I want it full dairy.

18. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    MAY have found a ND doe AND buck!!!!! I'm going to look at them hopefully this week!!!!!! :leap: I'm trying not to get excited.... but...... :clap:

19. CapriGem

CapriGem Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Western PA
    So, did you have any luck finding what you were looking for?? :whatgoat:

20. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!