thinking of Spring anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by newmama30+, Dec 25, 2010.

1. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    Well Kids on the way, and seed magizines showing up in the mail, I am thinking of Spring already. I am ready to order my seeds and start planning my garden, also ready to start ordering chicks, poults, ducklings and gooslings... Can't wait to start all those spring time projects that either got put off with the cold weather or got thought of because of the cold weather. Like the Chicken house which should have been built last fall but we thought the chickens would stay in the barn even when we moved the goats, but they didnt I have three in the new loafing barn and five in my garage, and the ducks and geese insist on sleeping outside. The turkey also moved to the garage. So Im ready for January to get here and be over along with Feb. don't mind March but can't wait for April and warm weather.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'M READY FOR SPRING!
    It's bitterly cold outside!

I want to go hiking EVERYDAY!... go to Goat Shows, See Goat Kids.. and get a tan.

:sun: I'm ready anytime now!

but we have to wait until May.. gaah

3. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I say let the count down begin as we are almost past the holiday season...Here is to tans and warm sunshine. May they come sooner rather than later.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I soooooo agree!

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am with ya! I can't wait until spring! We've already had a lot of snow for us - almost as much as we see in one season and winter just started!
    March/April can't get here fast enough!

6. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Spring! Dad and I planted Daffodils this past fall... so I'm hoping for daffodils out front of our house (no way goats can get to them!) I am saving to order some chicks and seeds as well.. I am really excited!!!!!!

7. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Spring!!!!! ....... brings me five lamancha babies..... **sigh** I can't wait for spring.

8. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Hello from another Minnesotan :). I agree that Jan & feb can be done with.. Let's just skip right to May. I think it'll come fast this year since I have 8 does due in feb, 7 due in march and 3 due in April plus I'm training in sterile processing at work now so I have plenty to keep me occupied.

9. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I can handle the next three months as soon as our snowblower arrives for the Bobcat. Cant wait BobCat and Snowblower will be ours next week...hehehehe. I just miss the simple things like going to the barn and not freezing all my goats and everyone else being in the Pasture by the barn and not having to carry water to fill tanks. Moving south sounds good.

10. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I don't think I can take anymore snow!!!! I can't wait to get out and sit in chairs on the grass and get trampled by the goats.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :laugh: I am being very optimistic that the next 2 months will go fast and that the bitter cold temps that we got early this past month is indication that Punxsatawny Phil won't see his shadow come Groundhog day :greengrin: We've had snow fall just about every day so far, no major accumalations just enough to make things even colder.....but I'm predicting(HOPING) that we start a warming trend by the end of February :laugh:

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh yeah... I would love spring to come.... :thumb: :greengrin:

13. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I like spring, but I can wait a little while. We are actually having a white Christmas in Alabama and I want time to enjoy it! :snowcheese: :snowcool: :snowbounce:

14. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    It has been warmer than normal this year in Southern Oregon, but I am still definitely ready for spring to come around. Mostly ready for the MUD to dry up! I despise the mud. The goats have a nice, dry shelter to hang out in, and the majority of the field is pretty dry, but they have to slosh through a mud pit to go between the barn and their field. It is so much worse with the horses. They have insisted upon peeing inside their shelter and nowhere else, and they refuse to go lounge in the dry field. Instead, they stand in the mud 24/7 and it drives me insane.

However, since it has been warmer this winter than normal, I am hoping that means that spring arrives earlier. April is usually the month when it is no longer considered winter around here, but I am hoping for early or mid-March this year since I have kids arriving around then. Besides that, it is time to plant a vegetable garden and trail ride like crazy with my coming three year old gelding and my new gelding, Chief. And in May, a new foal out of my mare, which has me more excited than any of the other babies this coming year. :)

15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I think we got about an inch today. The tracks in the snow, and the rake trail from earlier today when I was dragging the rake from the shed to the goat pen were covered...

I spent the afternoon hanging tarp! We are making an addition on the side of our barn, and there is a doorway on the front/back of it, so I put up a pallet to block the front door, and covered it with tarp, then covered the back stall door and left them a small opening. It's been windy, so I don't want the draft on them. We don't want to put up anything permanent<so we can open it up in the summer when it's hot>, so we'll see how the tarp works :) I use tarp and pallets for EVERYTHING LOL

I've been in the house for about an hour and am STILL thawing out!
    I can't wait for spring!!!

16. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am also ready for spring but this has been a weird last couple of weeks. If we got all the snow they predicted it would be horrible but all of it has gone either north or south of Fort Wayne. We have missed out on 6-10 inches. Believe me I am not complaining. We dont have much snow, you can still see the grass just fine. I am just ready for warmer weather so I don't have to put my snow clothes on every time I go to check the animals.

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree Roger, it's been a weird past few weeks. We've seen more snow than we typically see, just a couple of inches here and there, but it's added up to well over 10 inches since Thanksgiving.
    I don't like having to bundle up to go outside. It's been soooo cold! Thankfully starting today we'll warm up a little each day and be in the 40s/50s by the end of the week and weekend. I keep checking the forecast to make sure they don't change it LOL
    Sunny today, so I think a lot of the snow is going to melt!

18. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I am origianlly from Ky so I know what it like up in that neck of the woods. However, I am now living in Florida where I can't wait til Thanksgiving and once tax day hits its absolutely miserable outside. The humidity down here is unreal. You get soaked from sweat just walking to the barn. And it seems that summer never stops. The family and I are moving back to Ky. after I finish my school in 2 more years, and we all can't wait to have actual seasons again. So as the post says "thinking of spring" to me down here is a dreadful thought. As this is when the humidity starts building. But once we move back I am sure I will long for spring to come.

It actually got down to 31 here last night!!!!! Butback to 60 by noon.

Keep warm up there,
    Tom

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    NO WAIT, we have not had winter here in my area yet. We have been in the 40-60 degree and I would like some snow. (Not what the East cost has, just some). :laugh:

20. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    It was so cold yesterday couldn't hardly stand it looks like a warm day today though 25 degrees and it isn't even 9 in the morning we just might hit 35 today.