The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting low on my Purina Noble Goat Grower, medicated, and think I want to introduce alfalfa pellets to my two almost 5 month old NDs (a wether and doe, both just pets).

I'm new to goats so need to run this by you all.....

My plan is to be done with the medicated grower after this bag (another 2 weeks or so), unless there's a reason to keep them on it.

So switch over to alfalfa pellets only. Good idea, yes? If so, what exactly am I looking for (at TCS) ? Last time I was looking there it seemed they had several different types to choose from ( for horses, I believe).

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would not suddenly change from one feed to another. If they were my goats, I would go ahead and get a bag of the alfalfa pellets and mix them with what you are currently feeding at the rate of 1/4 alfalfa pellets and 3/4 Noble. In a few day, up it to 1/2 alfalfa and 1/2 Noble, etc., until they are just on the alfalfa pellets. You can stretch it out so you have fed all the Noble by the time they are on straight alfalfa pellets. I would check to see if they have alfalfa pellets made for goats. The pellets are longer and thinner than regular alfalfa pellets. Other than that, I'm not sure what you mean by what are you looking for?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I agree..switch slowly for less rumen up set...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I had planned to do the switch slowly. Last time I was at TSC I didn't see any alfalfa pellets in the goat feed section, unless I overlooked them, which is why I was asking.

So I currently feed them 1/4 cup (each) of the medicated Noble Goat twice a day. They each get a 1/2 cup daily (they have free choice hay plus my entire back barnyard). The same on the alfalfa pellets? Or are they less fattening so a little more wouldn't hurt?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Since they are pets, not production animals, grain is not as necessary for them. They should be able to hold their weight with the hay you are feeding. Be aware that the "medicated" part of your feed may not cover them for a serious cocci outbreak...so be prepared to treat for that when they come off the Nobel grain. I would feed the pellets more as a "treat" to keep them happy and friendly.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
I would feed the same amount you are doing with the grain. They really don't need much but I'm sure they will be happy to have a little.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I highly recommend not switching to the pellets. All of my goats will NOT eat them. They absolutely despise alfalfa pellets and *might* eat them if they were in a ditch starving. ;) I have no idea why. They love actual alfalfa bales but I have a feeling something is up with alfalfa pellets that is just different.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I highly recommend not switching to the pellets. All of my goats will NOT eat them. They absolutely despise alfalfa pellets and *might* eat them if they were in a ditch starving. ;) I have no idea why. They love actual alfalfa bales but I have a feeling something is up with alfalfa pellets that is just different.
You know what's funny? My goats felt the same way about alfalfa pellets for the first couple of weeks, and then all of a sudden they just went nuts for them. They actually pick through and eat those first out of their grain mix LOL! Goats are so weird sometimes. ;)

Cali2013 - you could also try timothy pellets. I feed them to my bucks and only feed the alfalfa pellets to my does. You probably won't find either one in with the goat feeds. They're generally marketed for horses.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Mine will run me over for alfalfa pellets - literally! I can't speak for aflalfa pellets in your area, but I know the ones I was feeding are nothing but plain old alfalfa.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
my dry doe and buckling will eat them no problem. my doe in milk however.....will only eat a little at a time, unless i feed her JUST alfalfa before giving her dinner. even then she'll leave some behind sometimes. i'm not sure why....

maybe see if you can get a little bag and try with your guys to see if they'll eat it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, thanks! I'll see if I can find a small bag to try first, otherwise I will hope they like alfalfa. Introducing it to them very slowly and gradual will be key, I bet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm just curious, why pellets? Have you compared it to the price of actual alfalfa? The reason I ask is because I had a friend a few years ago come up to me all excited because he had found pellets for $12 a bag. Around here, grass hay is short, and everyone feeds straight alfalfa, but it was a bad year and the price had jumped to about $18 per bale and everyone was concerned about the added cost. He was sure he'd found a way around it until I reminded him to look at the cost per pound. With the most expensive bales he was paying roughly $18 per 100lbs of feed vice $24 per hundred on the pellets. There was less waste with the pellets, but not enough to make up the difference. I'm not a huge fan of processed feeds, IMO, it's better on an animal's system to let it process the roughage the way nature intended (it keeps things running longer). Unless there's a significant cost savings, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just mix a little straight alfalfa in with their hay.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
^^ I can't speak for anyone else, but alfalfa doesn't grow in the tropics, and there doesn't seem to be any other alternative that would work for my doe in milk. so, I have to buy the pellets. I would love not to though.....

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
It all depends on your area. I *can* get alfalfa here at 18.99 a 80 lb. bale. Then I can watch then pull it all out their feeder and sleep on it after eating only the leaves. Or I can buy pellets at 10.49 for 50 lbs. and they eat every single bit. My goats eat what they are given. They won't starve themselves and they know very well that what's in their dish is all they're going to get.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts