The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think it would be really helpful to post pictures of the doe(s) you plan on breeding to him, that way we could see how they would balance each other out. For me, I think he lacks angle in his rear legs and his rump is a little short, so if your does have that, too, then your kids will probably have it. Other than that, I think he's a really good looking buck! Love his beard :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I agree with Nubian Nut. To me, he looks to be short in the rump and a little bit lacking in rear leg angulation. He does seem to have a strong brisket, good body capacity, and beautiful coloring though! :) Love that beard!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I honestly think you could find better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No goat is perfect, but you always want to breed up. Don't breed to a buck just because he has the equipment to do the job. You want to try an improve the breed, not weaken it.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
No goat is gonna be perfect, but you want to try to breed for as strong of an offspring as possible. So look for the best individual you can find that compliments your does the best. You wouldn't want to breed short rumped to short rumped, or a poor udder attachment to a buck whose mother had a poor udder attachment. You certainly don't want to emphasize the bad stuff.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
LOL Nubian_Nut we posted almost the same thing at almost the same time. LOL

·
Registered
458 Posts
Love his beard!! :) His color is great. The main thing I see wrong with his conformation is the shortness in his rump and rear legs. Other than that he is a very handsome fella! I agree that you should post a pic of the doe you are going to be breeding so we can tell what their short fallings together may be.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Do you know how old he is? I think his rear leg angulation would look better if he wasn't trying to walk forward in the photos. In the close photo of his face it does look like his front pasterns are weak, which could be genetic but could also be due to having poor hoof care at some time in his life.

His beard is so big it almost looks like a full head of hair on the underside of his face! lol

·
2,203 Posts
I think he's nice. He's short thru the rump but really I think his rear legs are fine. You need to grant him a natural and posed stance to truly judge. Go and watch him walk. We can't see him in person but I think he's just fine. Nice and triangle shaped, good heart girth, brisket, front legs, wide chest. Looks like he comes from good milk lines with the body on him!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts