thinking on fiber goats in ohio...

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by ohiogoatgirl, Nov 23, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i would like to spin my own fiber to make things (i crochet and weave) for myself and to sell. i have knowledge of dairy breeds and kidding etc. but i have no knowledge at all of fiber goats. i'm in ohio and i was wondering if fiber goats would be good around here or too difficult (which won't slow me down as long as it isn't an expensive difficult :wink: ).
    ~are there differnt breeds of fiber goat?
    ~do they have more difficult kiddings then dairy?
    ~are they more prone to sickness/disease?
    ~do they produce milk like dairy breeds or not enough to be worth the time of milking?
    ~i've never sheared an animal before. is it difficult?
    ~what tools do i need to shear?
    ~would i have to brush the fiber goats daily/weekly/etc. ?
    ~will they get matted in winter?
    ~how often would i shear?

any tips or info anyone would like to give me will be very appreciated! thanks in advance! :help:

2. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    just found angoragoat.com very informative! no milk though, wool is enough for me.
    ~on average how much wool does one doe produce?
    ~how many fiber goats would you say would make an income. if i were to have a buck (no breeding bills), shear, wash, spin, and sell products (loose wool, yarn, scarves, etc.) myself?
    ~ about what price does wool/wool items go for?

3. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I was looking at an angora goat at the fair this year.. and she said that they shear twice yearly, no milk, and she did not brush or maintain the fleece.. I've also heard of people around here who have
    pygora goats.. mix of pygmy and angora, and really like them. They are all so beautiful, it would be fun just to have them around. I dont really know much about them, but it's a start..

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm just heading to bed, but I can answer your questions in lots of detail tomorrow. Angora goats are fantastic!

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i'm looking for breeders in ohio too. if anyone knows any.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have Cashmere goats. I like the fact that you do not have to sheer them. That is way to much work for me. Plus all the ANgora goats that I have really comeinin contact with have a lice problem. PLEASE I am nort saying all of them do.

At one huge she we have here none of the Cahsmere peopel want to be pinned near the Angoras because they are always haveing things crawl all over them.

I know of a few peopel that do have some BEAUTIFUL Angora goats. I might ne able to help find some in Ohio if you need.

7. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i found one in akron, ohio. which is like 62 miles from me. emailed them. now i gotta wait... the worst part...

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Sorry it took me so long ...

You want to avoid your goats getting lice like the plague ... its nigh impossible to get rid of it from angoras once they have it

9. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
  10. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thanks for answering all that Keren. Before getting Pygoras, I researched the fiber breeds rather extensively. The Pygora is a cross between the Angora (for the luxurious fiber) and the Pygmy (for the smaller, hardier breed). I sheer by A and B fiber goats every 6 months (have an Oster shearmaster w/20 tooth goat comb and a case of beer to the hubby so he'll do it for me). My Type C/Cashmere goats are combed in the spring. I would say the one negative to the Pygora fiber is it has to be dehaired. That's a pain but the end fiber is incredible! I started out with 4 goats in 2007 and now I have 15!

I am knocking on wood as I say this, but I have not had a problem with lice, although I have visited farms with goats that do have them horribly. Upon returning home, I did the 'skunk routine': stripped off all of my clothes by the back door and threw them in the burn pile, sprayed my boots, showered for about 30 minutes in the hottest water I could handle...... didn't end up infecting my herd thank goodness. I think I've been lucky because we do our own hay and that's largely where the critters come in to a herd, I think.