Thinning hair on back of neck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all,

I noticed my 2yr old boer doe has some thinning hair on the back of her neck. I took her collar off but it seems to be getting worse. No signs of lice and the rest of the herd is fine. The rest of her coat is fine. My other goats are shedding a lot but no noticable thin patches on them. Any ideas?
    Thanks!!! 20180809_182552.jpeg 20180809_182555.jpeg

2. Nubian goats

Nubian goats New Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Is she in a pen with sheep netting if so she is just eating through the fence and it's rubbing her hair off

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is she somehow rubbing it?

4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    If the exposed skin looks healthy and doesn't seem itchy, then I agree that she might be scraping it on something.

If the skin underneath is flakey or scaley, then it might be Fungus. I am dealing with it now. I went to tractor supply and bought this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Topic...ocphy=9002887&hvtargid=pla-332205914794&psc=1

It worked great! The hair started growing back after 5 days! (You should treat the collar too - wash it and spray it and don't put it back on her until it's 100% dry). However, my doe had an underlying fungal issue that we are now treating with anti fungal shampoo as well...
    I'm using this one and it seems to be helping. We bathe her every other day. https://www.bigdweb.com/product/cod...MIisSsuIfh3AIVAaeGCh1NpQ47EAQYAyABEgI2k_D_BwE

5. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

I had a Kiko that did that, no fence rubbing just loosing hair, I supplemented him with human zinc tablets and that fixed it... you cant see it in the pic (the pic was taken after I did the zinc) but his mohawk was almost gone

Attached Files:

• t.jpg
      t.jpg
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    All the goats itch a lot but i never see her itch the top of her neck on anything.

7. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Her skin was very flaky this winter but now just looks dirty to me. Maybe I can try to wash the area....not that she will be too cooperative.