This can't be real...can it?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Paige, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
  2. freckles

freckles Senior Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Missouri
    I am not sure that is weird

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    In this case, no it would not be possible that it's a sheep goat cross because the owner is saying the sire/dam are a goat/sheep cross. The crossing of the two animals make the produce infertile. Like how a mule cannot reproduce. Or it is extremely extremely rare.

The lamb and ewe in the photo look to be purebred sheep. There are reports such a thing as a sheep/goat cross...but very very rare and unlikely to happen.

4. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    :quote="milkmaid10"]I know that a sheep/goat mix is possible but they can't reproduce can they? :ponder:[/quote]
    It says that her dam/sire were sheep/goat mix. So I guess so... Hummmmmmmm :ponder: :ponder: :chin: :scratch:

5. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    Found on Wikipedia about sheep goat hybrids.
    There are also chimeras Click here for link

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Woe... :shocked:

Who would of known.... that is interesting.... :chin:

7. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
    Maybe they are hair sheep, and since they shed their wool and have hair for most of the year, the person assumes that they are part goat. I know a lot of people in my area mistake hair sheep for goats. :roll: A goat/sheep cross is really rare since their chromosomes are different, and the offspring will be infertile. I don't see how both parents could possibly be a goat/sheep cross and still produce a lamb/kid (what does one call that? A Lid? A Kamb? :wink: )

People are interesting, to be sure!

8. Goat Song

Goat Song Senior Member who ain't so Senior

May 4, 2011
    Oregon
    The dam in the pic looks like a Barbados hair sheep, now that I look closer at her....

9. I have 2 hair sheep and they look just like the sheep in that picture.

10. :ponder: Very interesting.
    I do know that horse & donkey cross or horse & zebra cross are possible.

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
  12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    without a doubt those are hair sheep. not even a chance they're goat-sheep hybrids. these people must be praying for an idiot to come along and pay 500 for this lamb.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

That ad has been flagged. Just someone trying to make some bucks on "rare" crosses that really aren't.

14. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Thats what I thought. The things people do to make money... :roll:

15. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Do hair sheep sound like sheep or do they sound like goats? Because, I use to raise sheep for fair and they definitely sounded different then my goats:) That would be one way you to tell the difference!

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We talked about Sheep/Goats breeding and crossing at a vet clinic. They said it can not happen. The doe might take but will abort.

I have no idea how the doe would know but they said it will not take. :shrug:

17. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I talked to my counties livestock agent and he said its possible but not likely. He told me that while the doe would take she would likely abort or if she did carry it wouldn't be full term and the baby would have loads of birth defects. Plus, if it were possible for it to live then the offspring would be fertile. He went more in depth but I'm not sure how to word what all he said. Basically it would be really hard for the doe to carry it since goats and sheep are different in a number of ways. Like copper requirements, gestation length, nutritional needs as well as over all genetic make up. Horses and donkeys are more alike and thats why they can inter breed, same with the horse/zebra.

This looks like someone who is trying to get money by lying and hoping someone believes it. Although, it would be pretty cool if they could interbreed.

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad ...this was cleared up... :thumb:
    I didn't know for sure....but now I do...as well as others..... thank you.... :hi5: