This doe is driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Ok some of you may remember that I posted pictures of my doe (who I thought could possibly be pregnant) on GW. Well now she wouldn't eat and is acting....... not her self. I felt her ligs and they weren't soft. I just DON'T want to be missing an illness thinking that she is just unfomfortable being pregnant! Sooooooo I don't know what to do. I gave her two shots of B complex and i'm about to give her some nutridrench. Any advise???

Here are the pictures from about a month ago...
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/ ... 50acc6.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/ ... 812e61.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/ ... 6dde8c.jpg

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Any other sypmtoms? Is she late pregnancy? Could she be having a calcium problem? Does she have a temperature? Have you checked the color of her eye lids and gums to see if she's maybe got a worm issure?
    Don't you wish animals had a diagnostic program like cars? Plug her into a computer and get a read out.
    Nutridrench may not have enough calcium (I don't remember what's in it right now,) if she is having a calium problem.

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Wow, from those pictures she sure does look pregnant. When is the latest you think she could kid? If you're still not at her latest possible due date, I'd say she's likely to deliver soon. She may be off her feed because she's getting ready. Give her plenty of warm water and molasses. Has she had all her shots, vitamins, etc? Brooke

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She very definately looks preggy to me!! And if she's not "right" to you then something is definately brewing! If it's possible try and go back thru the possible breeding dates...she may just be "feeling" pregnant or maybe getting ready to kid.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Well a buckling was with her back in the spring/summer. Her latest due date would be Nov. 5 her earliest was Oct. 20. I did not mean to breed her! she is not eating her grain which is NOT like her. Her back end doesn't look swollen like in the pics soooo..... I bounced her (felt under her belly) to see if there were any kids "ready", I didn't feel anything. Her ligs are still there as of tonight. She just doesn't look right to me. I gave her some probios and am going to give her some Vit. C I also gave her some A and D..... I haven't taken her temperature. Her mouth is warm, not cold. I need to check her gums. I saw her stretch today, which she doesn't do normally. She is kinda hunched looking. I think she is driving me INSANE! :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    babies possibly on the way, it is the right timing for it.

She maybe like my girls this year who lost their ligaments suddenly and not gradually like some other people's goats.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I hope that's all it is! :lol:

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    this year all my girlks did not eat the night before they kidded. every othe time they did. if you are worried about some thing else then you can give her a shot of vit b fortified(it has more thimine in it) it won't hurt her. some of mine do not lose there ligaments until the day before they kid. is she starting to udder up?

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I can't tell if she is uddering up..... I was just drying her off! So that is what makes things even more confusing :? When I went out there this morning she was thin, she hasn't been eating anything. Her ligaments are still there. I am just not totally convinced she is preggy.

I'll take some current pics.

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm having a very similar problem.

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    It isn't fun! She doesn't have any discharge sooo.......... She did have a white discharge for about a week, a month ago. But that's it!

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My goat has had discharge for over a month it turned bloody then white.It's white now.

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Hmmmm..... I have no advice :oops: I hope everything turns out ok with your doe and her kid/s :)

14. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thanks same w/your doe and her kid/s

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm going to say that since she does look "thinner" and she definately looked preggy before....those babies have "dropped" her belly looks deeper across the bottom and if she'll let you...get her on the milk stand and feel for movement on her underside just in front of her udder...you should feel something if she is preggy and they did drop. And once they drop kidding is usually within a week . Good Luck :D

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Thanks for the reply. I even had the baby monitors on last night, I got woken up when my bucks decided they would start singing :roll:

17. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    you said you are drying her off. how long since you milked her last? the reason i ask is if she is going to kid then she may not have any colostrum if you are still milking her. usually with dairy goats you give them 60 days to replace the colostrum before they are due to kid.

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know, I had no idea she was pregnant! I have her dried off now but I HATE that she may not have enough or any colostrum. I do have some saved just incase though. I am still having a hard time believing she is pregnant.......... I guess we'll find out soon enough :roll:

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    two options:

1) she dropped
    2) she isn't pregnant

each is a possibility so I can see how this is frustrating