The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1 year old buck that I think needs to be cut. I spoke with the vet about doing it. He says that he wants to band him. He said either way it will be hard on him.

Does this sound right? Your opinion please/

GT

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think I would question that.....I would worry about the band being tight enough to completely cut the circulation off of a buck that old. If it were me I would cut and be done. :cool:That's just my opinion. :D

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
At that age, I would prefer to cut, but I know there have been people who have banded 1 yr olds. I'd give him a generous dose of banamine for a few days.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I am going to ask more questions before either gets done. I would think a little ketamine, cut the bottom of the sack off, pull the testicles out, and scraping the cords give some antagonist is less of an issue then a band for a couple of weeks. But, I maybe over thinking it.

·
Super Moderator
59,804 Posts
As long as the band fits over, you can do it. The vet is probably thinking about the flies this time of year. But my preference would probably be to just have him cut and then keep him somewhere that you can keep an eye on the fly problem. You can use something like Catrans Fly spray on wounds.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We band 400-500lb cattle so the band is not an issue. The fly thing is what I was think also could be his concern.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
We band 400-500lb cattle so the band is not an issue. The fly thing is what I was think also could be his concern.
I didn't even think about that! Duh!:eek:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I think I am going to ask more questions before either gets done. I would think a little ketamine, cut the bottom of the sack off, pull the testicles out, and scraping the cords give some antagonist is less of an issue then a band for a couple of weeks. But, I maybe over thinking it.
Ketamine is a sedative. You do not need to knock him out for this.
If you have to use anything, just shoot some lidocaine to the area to completely numb it, then cut the testicles out.

But I don't use anything, just hog tie them, throw them down, have somebody hold him, and cut.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I do think that either way it's not going to be "easy"...i'd personally go the banding route, but you could go either way really. I agree that the flies would be the main problem this time of year. But kinda just go with whatever method you'd prefer is my advice.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
So I have a 1 year old buck that I think needs to be cut. I spoke with the vet about doing it. He says that he wants to band him. He said either way it will be hard on him.

Does this sound right? Your opinion please/

GT
Yes, it does. The older the animal, the better the vascular supply, the bigger the chance of him bleeding to death even if things are done right. Either way, it's going to knock him back for quite a while.

·
2,203 Posts
I'd cut. Grab a couple clamps. Before you cut, clamp the cord. Snip, and leave the clamp on for roughly 2 minutes. Scalpel holes just large enough to push the testi through. Two small holes are better than one large. Dip the sac in iodine when done, top with fly spray. They don't seem to notice for very long vs banding they're down and sleepy for quite a while. Whimpering, etc.

Just my own personal opinion. I love to knife.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts