The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Kathadin ewe, not goat. These girls don't need much hoof attention or trimming typically- not nearly as much as goats. We typically trim them annually and that's enough.

The problem is on her front left foot, outer wall, on the inside of her foot. Her hoof wall was separated and a little malformed, curling up and away. It didn't grow to the ground/bottom of her hoof. I trimmed much of the wall away. The exposed hoof underneath does not seem smelly, tender or rotted. It was dark outside and rushed (on my part) but she didn't seem bothered by it at all.

She just lambed and we put her back out on pasture after being in the jug for a couple of days but I wonder if we should keep her penned and soak her foot with something antibacterial or a zinc product. I'm also thinking a little knife work to pare away some of that dark inner hoof material is pertinent. We give our sheep probios and garlic regularly. I also wonder if we should expect the hoof to grow in normally again or if it will always be malformed. Her other front foot was a little goofy in a similar way, not nearly so extreme.

Bummer, she's got nearly perfect conformation and size but hoof trouble and poor lambing history doesn't bode well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Looks like hoof rot.

Get all the yucky off there.
Trim all bad off there. Any pockets.

Soak in iodine /water or dip the hoof in it, then dip a tooth brush in the iodine and scrub it clean as you can.

Most likely it stinks.

Do this daily until better.

If she needs more trimming later, like 2 weeks, to a month.
Trim a little more off, if she needs it then. Until all looks good again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you! I trimmed and cleaned more. The photo looks worse than it is- the dark area where her hoof wall should be is very hard rather than soft or spongy as it appears- nothing soft, and nothing rotten, definitely no smell. If you look carefully you'll see a thin hoof wall I've trimmed almost all the way up to the hair, then there's another lighter, longer and harder layer beneath it, then the hard and darker but more porous looking bit below that. I can certainly see how this could turn into hoof rot but it doesn't seem like it is now. They've also been on dry and fresh pasture until very recently (wet snow all day and smaller quarters while lambing).

So, soaked in iodine, trimmed it, scrubbed, finished with Hoof & Heal. I also gave her some zinc internally bc it seemed like a good idea. I need a good hoof knife that fits my hand; all I had was nips. I wasn't sure if Kopertox was ok for sheep, and don't know the pink spray.

What do you think of this hypothesis? She's got either a mineral deficiency or mineral absorption trouble. Her first year she didn't get pregnant. No trouble with immunity or parasites. We had a rough lambing year last year (our first and she was 1 year- lots of abortions) so we gave her a free pass. She acted like a goat kid while her herdmates were lambing- headbutting, jumping on people, etc and nearly went to slaughter. But she looked soo good last summer. Last week she had a single and he was a monsterous 14# (our average is about 10.5). Her ram lamb appears to me to be selenium deficient. (?) He's a little shaky on his legs, seems just a bit... IDk...tired, and my husband says he sees something off- fast/hard breathing or heart. He nurses, grows, gets up and runs around though so it's not extreme. We never determined the problem last year but minerals may have been a problem from early on. We use this (high zinc) mineral now and love it https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/sheep-trace-mineral-premix?criteria=sheep+mineral. Lambing is going much better this year but I wonder if this hoof issue is more mineral or genetics.

Any new thoughts on her condition? I know this is the goatspot and I'm asking about a ewe, but so much carries over...I hope that's okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts