The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do things always happen with my kids 4-H goats before they start showing them? Geesh...

Ok, I'll try not to write a book.
This all started after having to add lamb feed because the feed store was out of goat feed <2 weeks ago>. I posted about it. We had 2 goats scour and were extremely sick, then 1 more. All 3 were born in mid January of this year.

They are back to their normal feeding routine. But the last 1 that got sick wasn't acting right, and then the night before last he started scouring again.
I started him on SMZ's, did a fecal and didn't see anything in the fecal. I figured I'd run another fecal once his poo thickens up a little more.
He's almost to the 'cow patty' stage.

Today, his brother started scouring again.

These goats have had hefty doses of Cydectin and Equimax.

We do have 1 doe that had several strongyles in her fecal the other day, she's been a hard keeper this year, so I gave her a strong dose of Cydectin and planned to do another fecal in a day or two to make sure it worked.

Today I do plan on running a fecal on the only other goat that had gotten sick, she seems to be fine, but praying it doesn't hit her again.

Poo is dark brown/dark greenish, and at times can be really stinky. I was gagging when I did the fecal yesterday, bleh!

There are 3 wethers, so far the 3rd wether hasn't gotten sick.
3 young does together, and so far it's only been 1 of them who was the first one sick.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Did you treat for coccidia? That's what it sounds like it could be to me but I'm just extra vigilant about it since I just treated all mine for it last week. :D

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you treat for coccidia? That's what it sounds like it could be to me but I'm just extra vigilant about it since I just treated all mine for it last week. :D
The one who started scouring again is getting SMZ's, I only have enough left to treat him. I'm not seeing much of a difference yet :(

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The one who started scouring again is getting SMZ's, I only have enough left to treat him. I'm not seeing much of a difference yet :(
Oh Duh!!! Didn't see that.......how long has he been getting the SMZ?

·
Super Moderator
58,217 Posts
If the SMZ doesn't work, I would try Sulmet or DiMethox.

Also do you have them on Probios? I would give that to them daily until their stool is better.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, just getting a chance to get on here. I started the SMZ's yesterday morning. He seems like he is doing better now, dried bottom, but haven't seen him poop to know what it looks like. The other wether who started scouring today is a little bit thicker. They got to go back in the woods today and run/play/browse.

I started the 2nd wether on 3 1/2cc of penG. I completely forgot to give them their probios this afternoon, so when we go feed the bottle baby her last bottle tonight, we'll make sure they both get a dose.
We use goats prefer probios from TSC.

I wanted to do fecals on the young doe that was previously sick, then her brother who hasn't been sick, and one of the sick boys.
Naturally, not 1 of them wanted to give us a sample! So we'll try again in the morning. It's so easy getting them from the adults, but the youngsters make it complicated.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
You all will save yourself lots of time and trouble by using Baycox for cocci prevention/treatment. I am amazed how easy and effective this product is. I give 1 dose at 3 weeks. If you give it before they start to scour, I have found 1 dose to be enough. If the kid is already poopy, it may take 2 doses, I wait 5 days after the first dose, if they are still actively scouring I give another dose (I also give some pepto, a day or so after the 1st dose). So far, that has been sufficient. So much easier then days of treatment with Sulmet, etc.

JIC, I never under dose, if I am unsure of the actual weight, I dose on the high side. I treated 14 kids at 3 weeks of age and we have 0 poopy butts.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Di, I appreciate it. We're not 100% sure yet if this is cocci or could be from strongyles/round worm which is something we've dealt with every summer we've owned goats. But also wondering if they somehow came down with a bacterial infection?
The first time they came down sick <after a temp feed change - had to add lamb feed until more goat feed was made>, we gave 2 of them 3 days of antibiotics and they did respond well. But the third one we didn't, as he seemed to get over it before it got bad.

The one we didn't give antibiotics to is the one that started scouring again & is on SMZ's.
I wonder if it's possible he gave it to his brother again since the penG would have been out of his system? Those two are stuck together at the hip lol

Anyway, they are back to normal now, no more scours. Their poo is clumpy berries, they are active and not liking the fact we are dry lotting them in a small pen in front of the barn. They are doing a good job of making me feel guilty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts