The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 does in a herd of 11 are on their third day with diarrhea. Green liquid. I don't see any blood.
Normal temps and behavior, eating well. Feeling so good they fight for hay.
I have made no changes to feed. They get Timothy grass hay and minerals, that's it. I did notice that the hay has begun to brown quite a bit and they're beginning to waste more of it. It's stored hay from last fall. Not moldy as far as I can tell.
No access to grain or chicken feed.

I have given them pink stuff, probios, baking soda and slippery elm bark powder made into a slurry with water and molasses and dosed with an old probios tube. Nothing seems to help. I'm going to call the vet this morning but know he's going to say with normal behavior and no fever, it's something that just needs to work it's way thru their system.
Very frustrating. It's 110 degrees in my pasture in the afternoons. They do have plenty of water and shade.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had that kind of heat? Do you have any water with electrolytes out for them?
It's been 100 or more for a couple of weeks and will stay like that. It's normal. I've never used electrolytes in drinking water, only for babies. What and how would you use it?

·
Super Moderator
59,744 Posts
I'm much more sensitive to heat stress since I had owned alpacas. I used to buy the horse electrolytes and it was 1 scoop in a 5 gallon bucket of water. I would have out both the electrolyte water and regular water. They would suck down the electrolytes. Cherry flavor was a favorite for the alpacas.

For whatever reason, maybe those 2 girls are being a little more sensitive to the heat. At least it is worth a try. Green usually is dietary and if nothing else has changed, working on heat stress would be my next move.

Well, I can't seem to find cherry flavor. Maybe they don't make it anymore. Here is what I used to buy but in cherry flavor:

http://www.ruralking.com/apple-electrolyte.html

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c069-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
I would give them C D Antitoxin.... continue the pepto and give electrolytes to keep then hydrated...no feed hay only...probios
also have a fecal done...could be a worm issue

Homemade electros..
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll work on electrolytes. Forgot to mention I wormed them. Mixed the Ivermectin with the slippery elm sludge I fed them. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
for how long have you been giving the pink stuff (pepto)?

Also Im not sure mixing all those together including the wormer was a good idea. I would give separately.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. I only gave pepto twice. I'm leery of the salicylates in the pink stuff.
Vet did a fecal this morning and they are clear of worms and cocci. He gave me an equine product called Bio-Sponge, supposed to absorb toxins and firm up stools. So far it's not working although my vet is very conservative on dosage. He said start them at 5cc twice daily. There was no change as of tonight's feeding so I doubled their dose. We'll see how they are in the a.m. If no change then I'll double again. They both ate well and are chewing cuds. So far nobody else is showing any signs of getting it. Very strange.

I have used CD antitoxin in the past and am skeptical about it's effectiveness for anything other than Entero. It's pretty specific, not a broad spectrum diarrhea med. This is day three. I'd bet a paycheck it's not entero and the vet doesn't think so either.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Bio sponge is good stuff

My vet says to give 3-5cc to my small nigerian dwarf kids so I would double it at least for an adult standard.

It does take some time to work so dont expect miracles right away. I always give any treatment 24 hours to see improvement.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
C D Antitoxin has one job..to bind toxins..no matter the cause...so any time a goats rumen is off its good supportive therepy..and its not harmfull..they will pee out what they dont need...;)

per goat link
*Black and tarry, yellow to greenish watery OR Grey foul smelling Scours-- Sometimes with blood or tissue- high fever accompanies. Babies to adults: It could be: Salmonellosis
*Bright green Scours-- Acid smell, watery to pasty. Too rich pasture or hay. Any age that eats hay or pasture. Feed Scours
*Dark, loose Feces, not quite scours-- Sometimes bloody, usually seen in well fed kids under 12 weeks old: It could be: Clostridium perfringens type D also called Enterotoxemia

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update. Either the Bio-Sponge worked or whatever caused this is running it's course. The older doe, Veronica is pooping pellets today. The 3 year old, Poppy started her diarrhea about 18 hours after Veronica. She's wild as all get out and I didn't get as much of the Bio-Sponge into her so this a.m. her stool is still loose and floppy but not watery like it was. I caught her and gave another dose and will re-dose her this evening if there's no improvement, assuming I can catch the little stinker. Curiously no other goats are affected. That's a relief. i was afraid we had a bug that was going to run through everybody. Nothing like diarrhea during fly season!
I believe I am going to add a couple of tubes of Bio-Sponge to the med drawer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think I'd want the vet to check for worms and cocci, too. See what's in the fecal to rule some things out.

I've used Spectam Scour-Halt with very good results. I'd also recommend using Re-Sorb electrolytes. They come in a packet, and my goats readily drink the water I put it in. Re-Sorb & Scour-Halt both available at Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. My vet did a fecal on both goats thursday, they were negative for worms and cocci.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts