The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This doe right here, is a half sister (on the sires side) to my doe Moon, and closely related on the dams side. Look at her!!! This is a shot right to my heart, just look! I feel really bad. I wish I could take her back and get her healthy again.
The first three are the doe, and the last pic is my doe Moon.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know ^^ she looks ruff. Can believe what happened, she looked like moon when she left.
Interesting thing though, her and moon had almost identical looking kids this year.

They say they take nutrition very seriously, But as you can see.....

Don't want to blame anyone, things happen, but Azzie looks ruff, tugs the heart strings

·
Registered
600 Posts
She does look a tad bit thin and scruffy...she was lactating in those pics though, so she might have been thinner because of that. she doesn't look too underweight though. She might also need a bit of copper...she looks a little red and has a fishtail. I don't see anything major though.Unfortunately not everyone can afford(or wants) to use expensive feed to keep their doe in shape during lactation, or put out minerals, although it's better for the animal, it isn't 100% necessary nor very well known. Sometimes, even, people want their goats to be raised completely naturally, with no minerals, supplements, or even grain. Just grass and weeds lol! She seems to have plenty of grass to graze on anyways, even if she isn't getting grained :)

Maybe you can email the owner with your concerns and give them some suggestions on grain and minerals and such(especially during lactation)?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure about the fecal, but they are against chemicals and want to do things organic and natural. But I don't think the herbal ones are working. And I'm wondering if the mineral is labeled for sheep too. She's really red, and needs some copper.
She lives less than 20 minutes from me, so I could look at her and get a better idea.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Either they are using the wrong brand of minerals and wormer or they lied. If they are feeding that much and she looks like that something is wrong...

EDIT: I agree she needs copper...I understand wanting "Natural" but when it's hurting your goat, you need to change at least a bit. Do you know of any herbal wormers that do work? And I would ask them what brand of minerals they use...and if it's loose or not.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She was tested negative for Cl, CAE, and Johne's. So its not that. With all that food it has to be something with the wormer and minerals. And I don't think its from lactating, my does maintain fairly well on just cob, but fodder is fresh and high in nutrients so that would be better than cob.

·
I'm watching you
22,263 Posts
She hasn't even shed her winter coat out yet. I don't clip my goats but, they shed out sleek. Something is very wrong there. I have a doe that needs weight but is healthy. I put her pic up tomorrow so that the beginners can see the difference. This doe accidently got bred twice last year and raised a total of 5 kids. I just weaned her last kids and am drying her off to regain weight.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well, you probably should get her back and the doe, but you will have to test her before you let her in with your herd, because god only knows what else could be wrong with her.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
We are trying to do things naturally (I will use chem if I need to) and my goats have improved. They have shiny sleek coats and pink membranes. The kids are growing like weeds too. Natural is no reason for anyone to look rough.

She doesn't look horrible but she doesn't look like she's been as pampered as Moon. If I was anywhere near you I'd take her and give her lots of love. We'd love to have a big Alpine girl like that.

Selling her for 1/3 of what they paid for her? Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with her. Or are they just overwhelmed with goats?

·
Registered
818 Posts
That is sad, but I have also seen a lot worse. I guess you never know what will happen when you sell goats to people. I am always so nervous about selling kids! I think we got lucky this year though. I hope you can get her back, I am sure you could do great things for her. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts