this is silly but I am super nervous

Discussion in '4H/FFA Corner' started by Old Post Farm, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:04 PM.

1. Old Post Farm

Old Post Farm Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I had a friend who is the treasurer at one of my 4-H clubs and she can't make it to tonight's meeting so I have to read her report and I am so nervous because I never speak up at meetings and I'm normally not shy but at the meetings i am (I have no idea why) and I now have to be in front of all these people and read a whole report without anyone seeing my hands shake or hearing my voice shake too

HELP please any tips would be greatly appreciated

2. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I had to do this once. Go over what you're reading beforehand. It's really not hard once you get started. Don't stress about it :)

4. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    My mom says to read the paper (or report) in front of the mirror over and over again. I haven't tried this, but she says it helped her be better composed when she was in high school and had to do similar things.

I'm sure you'll do just fine!

groovyoldlady likes this.
  5. PippasCubby

PippasCubby Active Member

May 13, 2015
    E. WA
    Do you have a copy of the report? Read it before hand, in front of a mirror, in front of your dog, your goats, sing it, say it in silly voices, etc. Also, just be confident, (I know, easier said than done) but, if you can feel confident, it comes through.

It's is great that you are doing this at a younger age. I was a member and leader of my 4-H group for 10 years. All the presentations and talking in front of people put me way ahead of others by the time I got to college. It's always nerve wracking, but it becomes second nature.

Good luck! You'll do awesome!!!

Goat_Scout likes this.
  6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    My daughter flips when she has to give the project report and I just tell her to block everyone out and just keep your eyes on the paper. Not the best advise especially when one should work on public speaking but it gets done lol

Goat_Scout likes this.
  7. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    we have a microphone so i don't need to actually talk loudly thanks for the advice

8. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Talking in front of the mirror isn't so that you will be able to talk louder, it helps with composure and readies you to speak more clearly.

Good luck!

9. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Here's something I learned from a seventies show called the Brady Bunch. Imagine the audience is sitting there in their underwear. It's supposed to make them less intimidating I guess!

10. Old Post Farm

Nov 14, 2017
    It went well except. my friend gave me the report from last meeting instead of the one from this meeting. but other than that it went ok

Goat_Scout likes this.