The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new goat owner, I was whoa fully prepared for them. Right now they're in a very large pen, was once used as a goose pen. 8' tall chain link. So far so good. Now for at night, I leave the door open to the chicken coop, and have hay in there for bedding. Today I spent three houses cleaning out the hatching hut. I helped my grandpa build it the year before he died in 67 So this is what i have to work with to turn into my goat shed. Any suggestions?
20190407_162800.jpg
20190407_162823.jpg
20190407_162811.jpg
20190407_162831.jpg
20190407_162800.jpg
20190407_162823.jpg
20190407_162811.jpg
20190407_162831.jpg
20190407_162800.jpg
20190407_162823.jpg
20190407_162811.jpg
20190407_162831.jpg

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Whooph. That’ll take some work. But I see potential! Just take all glass away, for safety purposes. Clear it all out, maybe patch it up in places with some 2x4s. Feel free to message if you want a bit of crash course in goat’s!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddy since 2nd grade is a goat herder from way back, so he's giving me the crash course. As for the building. It was built with glue board or some such material, and as you can see green shingles made up the walls. the studs are solid, the floor is solid, roof solid and doesn't leak believe it or not. I've already taken most of the glass out taking the rest as I go. I'm thinking 1/2" particle board with a healthy covering of paint.
But hey, I'll take any and all advice I can get, as I want to do this right, and keep healthy animals and good stock.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Sure is a lot work! That cabinet or long table to right of door needs to stay as a sleeping loft, if still strong enough. Just put plywood over it. Maybe a small stool or a beehive to jump on as a step up to tabletop. Definitely get the glass out. They would probably have fun running in the door, then running out the end, where the wll is missing with the two windows just ad a door.

Reactions: groovyoldlady

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The table is strong, plywood over it, great idea. Didn't even think that the goats would need, or even want a sleeping loft. Like I said, the structure considering that it was built over 50 years ago is still strong. The table, well both tables can be utilized easily enough. I think I have enough plywood, particle boards, and miscellaneous 1x6's to make some walls. I'll probably cover the windows after I take the glass out. I wan't a nice warm area for any future kids. Like I said, I want to do this right, and have a legacy for my grandchildren to look back on and say, "I helped papaw run the farm". Some of my greatest memories are from working the farm that grandma and grandpa had, and that I now have.

·
8,161 Posts
You will want as much natural light as possible. It looks like you will have a good goat building when you are finished!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
My buddy since 2nd grade is a goat herder from way back, so he's giving me the crash course. As for the building. It was built with glue board or some such material, and as you can see green shingles made up the walls. the studs are solid, the floor is solid, roof solid and doesn't leak believe it or not. I've already taken most of the glass out taking the rest as I go. I'm thinking 1/2" particle board with a healthy covering of paint.
But hey, I'll take any and all advice I can get, as I want to do this right, and keep healthy animals and good stock.
I raise my goats naturally and holistically, so probably some different opinions than a long-time goat herder!

Your plan sounds great!

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Dependin on how many goats you have... you might could also make a closed in feed room in a corner. Looks like a nice space for your goaties! Yep... take the glass out amd i would put hardware cloth over those open spaces, make clip on coverings for winter dependin on how cold it gets there and close off the weather in side, they still need ventilation in womter but for the drafts not to reach them also in rainy weather too, they will love the platform with some plywood for a sleepin spot, i can see a hay rack on a wall. An awning outside would be nice for water and for them to jave a bit more outside space when it is rainy jist to give a bit more room to tool about.

·
Fair-Haven
4,710 Posts
Great suggestions above - absolutely draft free, so cover any areas that could create a draft. I also noticed the wood floor. The wood will absorb urine and trap the ammonia in the urine, so I would use stall mats or something else as a base before putting down your bedding. And a great suggestion of a feed area you can lock up safely away from the goats. Welcome to goats!

·
Registered
839 Posts
All good advice above and since it’s something you built with your grandfather it has special memories I’m sure:)
You can also build a ramp up to the table that’s what I did. My boys go up and down it all the time even just to chase each other. You’ve got great ideas here good luck to you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts