This kidding sucks

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dreamacresfarm2, Mar 26, 2018.

1. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    1. My doe delivered a dead kid. He was beautiful but we were unable to resuscitate him.
    She immediately went into a severe depression.
    so I looked around and found a Nubian bottle baby for 10 bucks. She took him so my Lamancha doe has a Nubian buckling. lol\
    2. One of my first fresheners kidded triplets-she seemed fine, cleaned them up , they were nursing well, she was eating and drinking but the next morning she was dead. No signs of distress - laying like she was curled up sleeping. of course one of my favs and all I got are bucklings which are all on bottles. May try to sell them as bottle babies.

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Aww, that is so sad. So very sorry for all your losses.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
  4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so very sorry about your losses, that is heartbreaking :(

5. ISmellLikeGoats

ISmellLikeGoats Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I'm sorry :( we had a rough start to our kidding season too. Healthy triplets to start, and went downhill from there, a stillborn single, and aborted triplets for us. I did the same thing with the one that aborted the triplets, I gave her lambs to raise because she was depressed.
    It's always the favorites, but we all know we'd be sad even if they weren't our favorites. I hope things go well if you have any more due.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry for the loss of the kid. :(

As of the goat who died, she may of had a torn uterus from kidding. I am so sorry. :(

7. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    Sorry for you losses. Is it me or has it been a real bad year for kidding. I have heard about so many losses this year and its a bit scarey not knowing what is causing it. I don't have any babies this year as I have to down size and move so can only keep a few.

Treu Shutz likes this.
  8. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I'm sorry you are having such a tough year. (((((Hugs)))))) Although I have to smile at the mental picture of a LaMancha doe with a Nubian kid. Does she bite his ears when he's naughty?

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, it definitely has been a tough winter kidding season for many that I know and many that I read about on here & Facebook. It's very sad :( Pregnancy Toxemia is like wildfire this year, affecting so many. It's so sad to read about a doe and kids dying, many did all they could for them, and some had never dealt with it and didn't seem to realize how serious it is and how quickly they needed to act.

I wonder how much the weather has played in a lot of the issues. It has been a roller coaster ride of a winter and start to the spring.

10. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    I am always sorry to hear of anyone loosing their animals and especially a doe that just gave birth. Goats are fickle animal. I am not sure anyone really knows and or understands goats and the causes of exactly why somethings happen. Good luck with the bucklings. I am crossing my fingers and praying for safe healthy deliveries for the 5 does we have left to kid. :angel: