This New Goat mom needs advice

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GoatNewbie813, Aug 14, 2014.

1. GoatNewbie813

GoatNewbie813 New Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Hello to you all,

I am getting ready to bring home my twin Pygmy goats in Oct.
    the lady i told i am getting them from, said that at nights when its cooler i should put some blankets down.

But won't they eat them?

another question I don't have a water line where their "area" will be, i will be bucketing it to them morning and night. what is the best " trough" to put it in for them during the day? (i don't want/know whats too deep for them.

also since i will have one wether and one doeling what is the best feed regime.

sorry for ALL the questions iv heard so many different things.

also any other suggestions GREATLY appreciated !!!!:stars:

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you have straw- no need for a blanket. Goats need a place out of direct drafts but with ventilation. They will grow
    a winter coat and be fine if you provide them a draft free shelter. When it gets really cold, increase the amount of
    straw so they can snuggle in it.

Water buckets- Those 3.5 gal. buckets with the flat backs, sold at feed stores, Tractor Supply, etc. work great. Make sure the
    top of the bucket is just above the goats rear ends, so they don't poop in it. I attach my buckets to a wall with concrete blocks
    under them for additional support and have a block step, so the littler goats can reach the water.

I have big Alpines, so I do not know the nutritional needs of the Pygmy's, but I know someone will answer, soon.
    As with anything, you will hear a lot of different information on goats. Most of the information on this forum is really good. I would say 99% is
    great! There are many experienced goat owners on here!

3. GoatNewbie813

GoatNewbie813 New Member

Aug 10, 2014
    @Goats Rock.
    Thank you so much:)

4. chuckles

chuckles New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Hello back, GoatNewbie! :) No, you don't need to put blankets on them or down for them. A good layer of straw, old hay, or wood shavings about fetlock deep will provide enough insulation to keep them warm. Assuming you have dirt floors, when it starts getting really cold allow the manure pack to build up. It will provide warmth as it decomposes, then clean out next spring.

As for water, you can use buckets, a fence line grain feeder for horses, or the small plastic protein tubs. For 2 kids, I would go with the fence line grain feeder because it allows me to adjust the height as needed. Here is a picture.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...848f9fa2600f000001ea/533884909fa2600f000001fc

You don't mention their age, but it's hard to go wrong with a good grass/alfalfa hay(the grass and alfalfa balance each other out to create a pretty good calcium:phosphorous ratio, and the grass also helps keep them warm in cold weather because it's harder to digest than alfalfa), and a pound or so of a good pelleted goat grower. You probably want to either make sure your feed contains ammonium chloride or put some out for the wether to help prevent Urinary Calculi.

5. GoatNewbie813

GoatNewbie813 New Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Okay great, thanks.
    When I get them they will be 2.5 months I believe