This new kid needs some help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Mar 31, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Received this e-mail through my website and we went back adn forth a bit and even on the phone. She gave me permission to post this and ask you all for some more advise.

Before I give you what my feelings were I would like to know your reactions and suggestions. I am sending her the link to this thread as well.

Thank you all

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never had to bottle feed w/ replacer in my kids, their moms are great! I have used milk replacer in 2-3 day old piglets and they scoured with the way I mixed it, followed the directions for pigs and they got runny very badly so I "played" with the powder and water amounts til they were ok with the "more powder, less water" formula..took 3 days to get them "right". Pigs and goats are totally different but the concept is the same, try mixing the powder with a bit more water at first and see if she improves, but absolutely let her eat! I did have to supplement a bottle with a tiny triplet a few weeks ago with moms milk and she would take 2 oz. from the bottle and go to mom looking for more.

3. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    We have a bottle baby right now that we have on the Save-A-Kid milk replacer. I understand the worry as we had a few problems the first couple days we had him. (Thank goodness for all the wonderful advice I got here.) I would would give the pepto! Our little guy was first constipated then got a little bit of scours. We gave the pepto and it helped tremendously. I did not cut back on the bottle. As long as he was alert and had bouts of energy I kept feeding him on a regular schedule. You might want to try giving a little more less often. At 5 days we were giving 6 ounces 5 times a day. Keep in mind we have full size dairy goats. So you will want to go with a little less. She may seem hungry all the time because she isn't getting enough to feel like she has eaten.

Edited to add: Try adding some Probios to the bottle. You can get it at your local TCS or feed store.

4. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    This is almost exactly how my experience was with the doe that I saved. She was premature, had no teeth and couldn't stand for 4 days. She only weighed 3/4 lb. at birth and was a triplett but the other two were stillborn. I was able to milk the doe and feed it to the baby out of a bottle until she was able to stand on her own to nurse but she still had to be kept in the house because it was so cold and she wasn't able to find the nipple on her own. I had to continue to hold her while she nursed until she was 6 days old. Then she got constipated for 36 hours and I gave her some Milk of Magnesia and then she pooped huge globs with blood in it for 2 days. I got Albon and gave to her (at this time she was up to 2 lbs.) Then she still had bloody poo so I gave her just the powder to stop e coli in her bottle for a full day. Finally when she was 10 days old, she was able to walk, eat, poop and pee normally and I put her back with her mom and she is doing great now (She is now 6 weeks old and weighs 8 lbs.)

The ideal situation would be if she could milk the mother to feed this baby. Now I have another set of tripletts where one is half the size of the other two and is not getting very much milk. I was catching the mom 3 times a day to make her nurse the littlest one but I felt that she still wasn't getting enough so I was able to find a lady that sells her goat milk and I got a gallon and then I am mixing it with whole milk. The baby is taking 5 oz. 4 times a day plus she is still nursing on her mother every now and then. I started this last Thursday and she has gained 1 1/2 lbs in 5 days.

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

5. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    The diarreah may have been caused by the switching to electrolytes or to much electrolytes. I would stop the electrolytes and just have her on milk OR you can mix electrolytes into the milk probably a 4:1 ratio with 4 parts milk and 1 part electrolytes. I deffinantly agree that moms milk would be best right now but the milk replacer is just fine if you cannot get moms milk. Keep getting that food in her. Try even going down to 1 oz every half an hour (if she doesnt want it every hour) she needs the nutrients. I also second the probiotic powder.

Hope this helps!
    CJ

6. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Hello Everyone!!
    i wanted to say, first off, thank you for all the advice, and your time.!!!
    The reason i had lowered the qty of the milk was b/c i was afraid of floppy kid syndrome. i'm still not sure how much you have to overfeed a 3 lbs kid to have that happen. as for now, she is still getting about 12oz per day, around every hour to hour and 15mins. i was afraid that she had been getting scours due to the fact that i was giving her 2oz per feeding every 2-3 hours before. this is why i decided to cut down and in more intervals.
    she has been constipated since yesterday morning - she had her last poop around 10am. all day long she peed non-stop, but no poop, so i was again, concerned. i was hoping that she would magically get better during the night, but she did not. no poop overnight nor this morning. with Stacey's suggestion, i gave her an enima this morning. it took about 10 seconds...and the poop came out. i would say it was 50/50 consistancy, not quite normal and not quite scour-ish. since then, she has been going CRAZY looking for milk. although i have been giving her milk every hour on the hour today....she's been tring to chew up the curtains..and the desk...she's still starving. i'm afraid to go back to 2oz, but perhaps i will up her dose to 1.5oz??????
    i'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope she will survive. she is very inquisitive.....and smart! my hubby has fallen for her too :) he actually passed out with her in his arms last night. she has also become very attatched. if she is alone in her little room, she will cry and cry, but the moment i open the door, she runs out and follows us everywhere. and all it takes is for you to put her on your lap...and she's out.
    :)
    thanks again to all...i will keep you informed on her progress...now...if i could only figure out how to attach a pic on here....lol
    take care,
    nella

7. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    ...she was doing ok on the electrolites...i think it all started when i switched from the colostrum.
    but i will have to up her dosage...just took her off the scale...and i'm ticked a bit...yesterday she (yes, lost weight) but she was 3.15 lbs...and now...she's at 2.95.. so i'm off to feed again.

also, i think it wouldn't be a good idea to add the electrolites to the milk b/c they counteract eachother, so i read. and it would make the milk not digestable.

thanks!!!
    be back in a bit...
    nella

8. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    ..she was doing ok on the electrolites...i think it all started when i switched from the colostrum.
    but i will have to up her dosage...just took her off the scale...and i'm ticked a bit...yesterday she (yes, lost weight) but she was 3.15 lbs...and now...she's at 2.95.. so i'm off to feed again.

also, i think it wouldn't be a good idea to add the electrolites to the milk b/c they counteract eachother, so i read. and it would make the milk not digestable.

thanks!!!
    be back in a bit...
    nella

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Floppy kid syndrom is not from over feeding - at least it isn't the cause of it. You maybe thinking of overeating disease - endotoxemia, which is an imbalance of the acids in the rumen which can be caused by to much feeding.

How are her poops today?

Yes you are right - don't mix the electrolytes with the milk.

I would feed her strickly milk at this point as she needs the nutrition.

10. Club-Mini

Club-Mini New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    can i give her some goat nutri-drench???
    and how much?
    it says 4cc, too much??

thanks,
    nella

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  12. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I never had a problem with mixing the electrolytes with milk (then again, it was for a 3 months old wormy buckling.... not a premee) I am glad to hear the enima went well and I pray she keeps improving for you!

CJ

PS: Eating the curtains is a bottle baby thing.....LOL! They get crazy!!! All of my bottle babies (expecially when they get older) act as though they are starving even if they just had their bottle. Just because they want it doesnt mean they are hungry....make sense?

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    CJ mixing the milk with the electrolytes makes it so they can't digest the milk. For an older kid it isn't as much of an issue but one so young you don't want to make it even more difficult.

This little doe isn't a premie just the runt.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad that you made it here. Welcome aboard. :wave: :clap:

It sounds like maybe you have it under control. I sure hope thing continue to improve.
    I really can not give any advise because I have only had one bottle baby and I fed her milk replacer and she did wonderful. I really can not tell you how much we fed her but I was at a farm that bottle feeds all their babies and she was giving the new born as much as they wanted up to a bottle (human baby bottle).

I believe I gave my Hope a bottle and I let her tell me when she was hungry and I let her eat when she wanted to until she was a little older and then it was a little less often but more.
    So all I have to say is Good Luck. I hope she thrives like crazy.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    here are some pictures she sent me last night - I hope you don't mind Nella

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

video
    [​IMG]

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well she certainly is a healthy looking lil' girl!! Very cute!

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What a adorable baby. Glad to see how well the baby is doing.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she sent me an e-mail update. She switched the doeling to whole cows milk and she is pooping normal for now. The vet said the change from collostrum to replacer probably messed with her digestive system (nella correct me if I am paraphrasing incorrectly).