The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am sorry for the loss of your young buck.
The people on this website can help you out with your girls, they are awesome.
Can you post pictures of the young does?
What, exactly, are you giving them, food-wise, and what, how much and how often are you giving bottles?
Are they sucking well or do you have to coax/convince them to take bottles?
Can you weigh each of them?
Do they have names?

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Ok. I am so sorry you lost your boy. Its hard watching them go through that. You did what you could and at that age it could have been anything.
You need to get a scale. Old fasioned dont work so well. Also good going on the goats milk.
Are their horn buds out or were they dehorned. Your little ones look about 6 weeks from the picture.
Good job on the molases. Goats like natural sweet things.
You need to give the milk at about 101° just warmer than human baby bottle.
Start giving them some garlic however they like to take it.
You can start puting a bowl of warm water out for them to try.
Also put out some hay and loose minerals for them to experiment.
You may find them wean themselves.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Given his age and lack of proper care by the person you got him from, he may have had cocci. You might want to get the girls on a cocci prevention protocol. I use toltrazuril one dose every 21 days from aged 21 days up until they are eating the proper amount of medication feed. Cocci will kill them quick when it gets to the scour stage. By that time the lining of the intestines has been damaged. A case of cocci can cause the belly to appear bloated.

So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The way you describe the babies response to the initial bottles you gave, it sounds like they were just taken off the moms and sold. Good job getting them on the bottle, that can be difficult!
There are a lotta posts on this site with people coaxing babies to bottle feed. Do they/will they have any access to browse or pasture or will they only be getting the feed/hay that you provide?
Most areas of this country are minerally deficient or the local water may be full of iron, hard water, different issues. Do you know if you have any of these conditions? I have okay water but my property is deficient in copper and selenium so I have to supplement that in my mineral choices. Will your vet do a fecal count for worms/cocci? A lot of the people here use Meadow Mist labs and they are very reasonable. That will give you an excellent baseline for any cocci/worm treatments. I am surprised your guy ate the garlic skins -- I have to hide garlic in other things to get mine to eat it!
I would probably have started the girls on a bagged goat grower pellet, pretty high in protein. Some people here have favorite brands, I am not terribly particular. I know others will chime in with some brand names!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 48 Posts