The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I am so sorry you lost your buckling, that is so sad. 😔
Your girls are very cute! Good job on getting them on the bottle!
I am very glad you joined TGS. It is an amazing forum with lots of friendly and experienced goat lovers.
My goats love their raw garlic. My buckling last year started eating it too, at 6 weeks old. He also started licking minerals at a young age.

It is no longer recommended to keep baking soda out free choice. It is only to be used when a goat has bloat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
How many days did you treat with the dewormer med? What dose?

Please read: https://thegivinggoathome.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/bottle-feeding-goats.pdf
Ok based on age I am at the right amount of bottles, but I may need to add more milk based on weight? I’ll defiantly have to get a scale today. Everything else I read said that they shouldn’t have more than eight ounces at a time. They don’t cry for their bottles but it’s probably because they also eat hay and oats. I really need to get this “feeding stuff” right. How much grains? Still an unanswered question. I’m giving them rolled oats at 1/4 cup per doe, 2 times a day, just because I’m not sure how much yet. I do not want to cause goat bloat so I’m being super caissons, maybe too much so!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Welcome to the forum!
I am so sorry you lost your buckling, that is so sad. 😔
Your girls are very cute! Good job on getting them on the bottle!
I am very glad you joined TGS. It is an amazing forum with lots of friendly and experienced goat lovers.
My goats love their raw garlic. My buckling last year started eating it too, at 6 weeks old. He also started licking minerals at a young age.

It is no longer recommended to keep baking soda out free choice. It is only to be used when a goat has bloat.
Thanks for your post. Is their a solid reason not to keep the baking soda out as free choice? Or can it just be left out? Does it go bad? Atm it’s inside, so it doesn’t get wet.

I really do love this idea of them liking garlic. Only issue I am having now is wondering how much milk to give and how much grains? Best kind of grains? Are rolled oats ok?

After giving Betty the garlic skins she began grinding her teeth ugh, is that normal? Hate that sound because that’s what Billy was doing before got so bad, that morning. She seems to have stopped but man it gets me!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
I treated him for 1 week using the dosage on the bottle. What you sent says I could be feeding them more that three, eight ounce bottles a day? Is that correct? That sounds like a lot of milk for them based on all the other posts I have read.
Well you need to know their exact weights to figure out how much they can eat.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
Ok based on age I am at the right amount of bottles, but I may need to add more milk based on weight? I’ll defiantly have to get a scale today. Everything else I read said that they shouldn’t have more than eight ounces at a time. They don’t cry for their bottles but it’s probably because they also eat hay and oats. I really need to get this “feeding stuff” right. How much grains? Still an unanswered question. I’m giving them rolled oats at 1/4 cup per doe, 2 times a day, just because I’m not sure how much yet. I do not want to cause goat bloat so I’m being super caissons, maybe too much so!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)

I upped her milk after weighing her and she stopped eating after eating her original amount lol. Do you think that it’s because she is eating hay and oats? Does her eating other stuff like that lower the milk need? Am I overthinking it?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
I guess it’s easier for you to send links than to explain? Sorry, just a lot of links to other things isn’t helping me narrow it down.
Sorry, these things just explain it more in depth so you can understand why I say certain things. I like owners to understand the "why," not just the what to do.

These are all from my own blog, so sometimes I find it easier to paste what I would say instead of copying my words down again.

How old are the kids right now? Just does now or is there a wether too?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Sorry, these things just explain it more in depth so you can understand why I say certain things. I like owners to understand the "why," not just the what to do.

These are all from my own blog, so sometimes I find it easier to paste what I would say instead of copying my words down again.

How old are the kids right now? Just does now or is there a wether too?
Atm there are just doe’s. Thanks for the links to you your blogs, just as the post says I’m looking for more hands on at this time, no offense. Only because I have done soooo much research and I feel like their is a lot of misinformation out there. So my goal is to find someone, like yourself, that’s has Nigerians Dwarfs and knows from their own experience. I know that every goat is different. My fear is that my “breeder” will come on here and give me some more incorrect information. But besides my PTSD, can you explain to me what you do with your goats as a general diet? Mine were born on March 13th and March 16th, but again that’s her dates and who knows if they are rite. My problem is she was soooo unorganized and seamed very complacent with what she knew about her, “own goats”, she was selling that it’s making it really hard for me to pinpoint anything and trust anyone. Just so saddening! Let me give you an example of her complacency. A day or so later, I decided to see if I got the goats I requested or not. Sure enough, Betty wasn’t that the black goat I requested. When I asked about it, and other things, she’s always had the perfect excuses. Her exact response was, “yes, I decided to give you a different goat because I felt the goat I gave you would be a better fit for you because my granddaughter raised her.”

First off, you don’t think to tell/ask the consumer, before selling them a different goat than they requested?

Secondly, “my granddaughter raised her”... this statement alone tells me that this goat in particular wasn’t raised and bottled fed by her “friend” that I spoke of in the original post. Meaning, I was now misinformed on the directions I should take to move forward, yet again.

Trust me, this whole process has put me on edge, so if I come across confrontational, I don’t mean it! Please forgive me, in advance!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
Hi! No worries - I am happy to help and explain anything you need.

Your goats (like mine) should have free choice hay, as much as they want. A grass hay like orchard, timothy, or bermuda is ideal. Second cutting tends to be the preference but that isn't as important.

They need a good loose mineral available 24/7. I recommend Sweetlix Meat Maker, but Purina Goat Mineral is an okay backup.

Fresh water, of course - they may not be super interested as they have milk, but keep it available for the occasional sip for now!

It would be a good idea to have them on some feed from now until at least 6 months old - to really instill good growth. Oats are good food but not quite as nutritionally balanced as say, a goat pellet feed. If you do want to feed whole grains, I would mix your oats with some field peas, barley, fat source like BOSS or flax, and alfalfa pellets. This may be more complicated than you bargained for - so a good goat feed with a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio and at least 14% protein would be a good idea. Feed 50/50 with alfalfa pellets.

They shouldn't be weaned off of milk until they are 12 weeks -

I cannot tell you how much milk yet because I don't have their weights, but get me that and we can make sure they are covered. A good rule of thumb is to start with 10% of their body weight in oz. If after feeding 10%, their tummy is still soft or sunken, you may want to try 15% instead. Until you can get to a firm, but flat (never round and bulgy, or too hard) tummy, with normal poops and pees :)

If you still don't achieve this at 15%, you can go as high as 20%.

I hope that helps you :) Please ask any questions!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Hi! No worries - I am happy to help and explain anything you need.

Your goats (like mine) should have free choice hay, as much as they want. A grass hay like orchard, timothy, or bermuda is ideal. Second cutting tends to be the preference but that isn't as important.

They need a good loose mineral available 24/7. I recommend Sweetlix Meat Maker, but Purina Goat Mineral is an okay backup.

Fresh water, of course - they may not be super interested as they have milk, but keep it available for the occasional sip for now!

It would be a good idea to have them on some feed from now until at least 6 months old - to really instill good growth. Oats are good food but not quite as nutritionally balanced as say, a goat pellet feed. If you do want to feed whole grains, I would mix your oats with some field peas, barley, fat source like BOSS or flax, and alfalfa pellets. This may be more complicated than you bargained for - so a good goat feed with a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio and at least 14% protein would be a good idea. Feed 50/50 with alfalfa pellets.

They shouldn't be weaned off of milk until they are 12 weeks -

I cannot tell you how much milk yet because I don't have their weights, but get me that and we can make sure they are covered. A good rule of thumb is to start with 10% of their body weight in oz. If after feeding 10%, their tummy is still soft or sunken, you may want to try 15% instead. Until you can get to a firm, but flat (never round and bulgy, or too hard) tummy, with normal poops and pees :)

If you still don't achieve this at 15%, you can go as high as 20%.

I hope that helps you :) Please ask any questions!
First off, thank you for understanding.

Wow 12 weeks? And she claimed he was weaned at 6 weeks!!! You see what I am dealing with? Now I know know why, during her talking highly about herself and her goats, she said, “I have the smallest Nigerian Dwarfs”!

Just weighed them, Betty is 13 lbs and Bambi is 10 lbs. Thanks again for the help.

As for complicated, I’m ok with complicated. Just as long as I can get to a point where I no longer have to worry that Bambi and Betty will end up the same way as Billy.

I am beginning to agree that the rolled oats are a no go. An hour after feeding them to Betty she had a not so hard poop, first one so far. Man, I need to get this right!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
I really do recommend getting a pre-mixed feed, you will have a lot less tummy troubles as it is balanced. Blue Seal Dairy Goat is a good feed and easy to find, I also like Dumor goat pellet (not the sweet feed)

Remember that grain is much less important than milk and good hay :) they do not need it to survive, it just helps.

And I know it's hard to hear all the misinformation from the breeder - but in this world, even the vets have bad goat info. It's just how it goes, unfortunately :(

Luckily you stumbled onto the place with skilled people who are kind and ready to help you every step of the way!

Betty: total milk per day should be somewhere from 20.8 - 41.6 oz (about 7- 13.5 oz per bottle 3x a day). If tummy is firm and flat after 8oz 3x a day, it sounds like a good number for her! That is around 12% of her body weight in oz. If she does well on this, I would keep her at a 12% number as long as her tummy stays flat and firm after feedings. So that means as her weight goes up the following calculation should be done to keep updating the bottles:

weight in lb x 16 to get weight in oz. Weight in oz x .12 to get 12% number. That will give you total oz per day. Divide by amount of feedings to get amount per feeding.

Bambi: Total milk per day should be somewhere from 16 - 32oz (about 5 - 10.6 oz per bottle 3x a day). If she is also getting 8 oz right now, she's eating around 15% of her body weight. Also totally fine, as long as her tummy is flat and firm. If it seems too round and bulgy after feeding, I would go to 12% or 10%, until you reach happy flat firm/full medium. But if she is still soft and sunken after that, you could probably increase further until you get to the right tummy feel - but no more than 10.6 oz per bottle/32oz total per day as stated in the range above! To calculate for her, you do the same thing as above, but instead of multiplying by .12, you multiply by whatever percent. So .15 to get her 15% number, .10 for 10%, and so on!

If right now their tummies, poops, and pees, are all saying things are good - then what you are feeding is correct. As they grow, continue to re-calculate :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I really do recommend getting a pre-mixed feed, you will have a lot less tummy troubles as it is balanced. Blue Seal Dairy Goat is a good feed and easy to find, I also like Dumor goat pellet (not the sweet feed)

Remember that grain is much less important than milk and good hay :) they do not need it to survive, it just helps.

And I know it's hard to hear all the misinformation from the breeder - but in this world, even the vets have bad goat info. It's just how it goes, unfortunately :(

Luckily you stumbled onto the place with skilled people who are kind and ready to help you every step of the way!

Betty: total milk per day should be somewhere from 20.8 - 41.6 oz (about 7- 13.5 oz per bottle 3x a day). If tummy is firm and flat after 8oz 3x a day, it sounds like a good number for her! That is around 12% of her body weight in oz. If she does well on this, I would keep her at a 12% number as long as her tummy stays flat and firm after feedings. So that means as her weight goes up the following calculation should be done to keep updating the bottles:

weight in lb x 16 to get weight in oz. Weight in oz x .12 to get 12% number. That will give you total oz per day. Divide by amount of feedings to get amount per feeding.

Bambi: Total milk per day should be somewhere from 16 - 32oz (about 5 - 10.6 oz per bottle 3x a day). If she is also getting 8 oz right now, she's eating around 15% of her body weight. Also totally fine, as long as her tummy is flat and firm. If it seems too round and bulgy after feeding, I would go to 12% or 10%, until you reach happy flat firm/full medium. But if she is still soft and sunken after that, you could probably increase further until you get to the right tummy feel - but no more than 10.6 oz per bottle/32oz total per day as stated in the range above! To calculate for her, you do the same thing as above, but instead of multiplying by .12, you multiply by whatever percent. So .15 to get her 15% number, .10 for 10%, and so on!

If right now their tummies, poops, and pees, are all saying things are good - then what you are feeding is correct. As they grow, continue to re-calculate :)
Ok perfect. Thank you very much for all of the help. The milk is the perfect measurement for both and both tummies are not too hard after feeding, both are at 8 oz 3 times a day, for now. Shall I check weight weekly? Also I have Timothy hay out. An entire bail of it, is that ok? If so the only thing left to do is to add pre-mixed food and loose minerals? Shall I be concerned with Betty’s soft poop earlier? This morning she woke up, pooped out rabbit poop. Then I gave her milk, rolled oats and garlic skins. She was fine for about an hour but kept grinding her teeth after the garlic skins, for about 5 minutes...then stopped after ate some Timothy hay. Maybe burned her throat? Then she pooped out a less hard, green poop. Been watching her to see if she improves, nothing so far.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
Ok perfect. Thank you very much for all of the help. The milk is the perfect measurement for both and both tummies are not too hard after feeding, both are at 8 oz 3 times a day, for now. Shall I check weight weekly? Also I have Timothy hay out. An entire bail of it, is that ok? If so the only thing left to do is to add pre-mixed food and loose minerals? Shall I be concerned with Betty’s soft poop earlier? This morning she woke up, pooped out rabbit poop. Then I gave her milk, rolled oats and garlic skins. She was fine for about an hour but kept grinding her teeth after the garlic skins, for about 5 minutes. Maybe burned her throat? Then she pooped out a less hard, green poop. Been watching her to see if she improves, nothing so far.
Weekly is good.

Yep your hay sounds fine!

Pre mixed food, alfalfa pellets, & minerals, yep!

The rolled oats if she isn't used to it, definitely could cause that. Sudden changes in diet are not good for goats, and can result in bowel changes.

What do you mean by garlic skins? Do you mean the peel? Confused - please clarify.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Weekly is good.

Yep your hay sounds fine!

Pre mixed food, alfalfa pellets, & minerals, yep!

The rolled oats if she isn't used to it, definitely could cause that. Sudden changes in diet are not good for goats, and can result in bowel changes.

What do you mean by garlic skins? Do you mean the peel? Confused - please clarify.
Yes the garlic skins around the garlic cloves. Garlic was something several people swear by. I was glad to see it listed because it’s a natural antibiotic for humans and a dewormer too.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
Yes the garlic skins around the garlic cloves. Garlic was something several people swear by. I was glad to see it listed because it’s a natural antibiotic for humans and a dewormer too.
Well the skins aren't garlic and aren't gonna do anything for ya 😂 There are few benefits but the garlic clove is what we recommend feeding - no skin attached. Raw and finely crushed! That's what the real good stuff is!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
I went back and read through your posts and you mentioned tractor supply is far away, so here is a list of supplies I recommend having on hand. Apologies for another link, lol. But this way you can click on each product and see what it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
850AC135-30E9-49C9-B821-D01D8E60A283.jpeg
I went back and read through your posts and you mentioned tractor supply is far away, so here is a list of supplies I recommend having on hand. Apologies for another link, lol. But this way you can click on each product and see what it is.

Well the skins aren't garlic and aren't gonna do anything for ya 😂 There are few benefits but the garlic clove is what we recommend feeding - no skin attached. Raw and finely crushed! That's what the real good stuff is!
Oh ok.

Also, I forgot to add this to my “left out” free choice snacks list:

850AC135-30E9-49C9-B821-D01D8E60A283.jpeg

They don’t seam to eat a lot of them, but here is the nutritional value too:

C3CE0BB7-7A43-44E4-980F-E58677CA2A63.jpeg

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

I have a lot of this list, but will for sure need to need the rest! Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Those definitely should not be free choice!! They are treats, to be used in moderation.
Well, then I guess it is a good thing they don’t like them and rarely ever ate them then lol total waist of money. Even Billy didn’t like them.

I think it’s because the bag was torn at TS and they just taped it so they probably dried out!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts