The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and also quite scary! My year old steer tried to mount me today!!!
I was in with the cattle while a truck was delivering hog fuel into the cattle area, and 'Stewie' came from behind, and ... yes, his front legs went up onto my shoulders.... Let me tell you, ya cant stand with an 800 lb cow on your shoulders! I went right into the mud and hoped that I wouldn't get stepped on.
The delivery driver said "I've never seen that!!" and while it's nice to know that I've still "got it"... it was quite unsettling.
Stewie had one undescended testicle, so it missed being banded... it seems there is still testosterone in them there parts!
I took a baseball bat in with me when I fed them tonight... and never turned my back on my good friend Stewie.
You know they say, once you've had black (angus) ya never go back..
Life on the farm is always interesting!

·
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was a bottle baby, so he's been super friendly.. in the good way, up till now. He's only gonna live for one more year, so I hate to spend alot to get it fixed.. unless I have to. (and I may have to..:( )

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
How good are your fences, and how close are the nearest cows? We used to lease one of our fields to a friend with cattle, and the neighbor also had cattle. Found one of his "steers" in there one day and never did figure out how he got over, but they butchered him and found out he was still half bull.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thank God you are ok. That could of been really bad. We have a friend who was pressed between a wall and a steer, and his hips, leg, and foot are twisted sideways from it. He's a farmer but quite crippled up and walk with a cane now.

·
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We just have 3..a cow a young bull and a young steer. All are together behind hi tencile and electric. Like I said, it's all been a happy family till today...I guess he wanted me in the family too.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
The farm I worked on got a Swiss dairy bull in a trade one year. He was the sweetest boy. Or at least he was up until he could pick the back end of the F150 pick off the ground with his head. Over time the testosterone just over took his niceness though and by the age of three or four, you didnt dare go into his pen without first distracting him with food.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
A couple things. It doesn't matter if they are cryptorchids or not. A steer will attempt to ride another "animal" just like he has all the hormones. Pay attention to any and all perfume or scent you might be wearing. Anything....ANYTHING (been around your buck??? doe in heat???)....with a musk in it will trigger that reaction. And....not to get personal, but your monthly cycle will trigger it also. We had 4H steers (and all were truly castrated) and I still had to be careful when I had my period...they would try to ride me during that time. and, 2....Dairy bulls are worse than any other...period. They, for some reason, get meaner and meaner as time goes by.

·
14,456 Posts
Well, believe me, Stewie won't live to see 3 or 4...one more year or even 8 months is all he needs to get big enough . I'm just going to have to watch out more,... And carry the bat :(
Please don't wait.
A friend grew up on dairy farm. She had a half job done & the dude was crazy. She could tell just by his behavior.

Yes they will ride each other but this is not normal at all.

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
Sorry this sounds bad but beat the hell out of him!!! Bottle babies look at you not as a human who is in charge but a herd animal. My bottle Barbie cow.....female did the same thing to me when I was trying to graft a calf on her. After she got her butt whipped she never tried to do it again. I think its just a bottle Barbie thing since I had a pet bull once and my parents would always get onto me about me having him as a pet but I knew he was a bull and was very firm with him and I used to go out and sit with him and eat potato chips with him and he would let me get on him. But since you now know he looks at you as a herd member not someone in charge just keep a eye on him and if you still need to do things in the pen with him and I'm sure you will I would start to be firm with him he needs to learn not to push into your personal space.

·
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great advice all! Thanks! I have been SO snuggle-y with Stewie, cause he was just that type of young animal..and always came up for affection. I totally understand that he sees me as part of the herd! Perhaps I'll give the job of feeding the cows to my husband ...? (Tee hee)
I use very little scent...had a hysterectomy, and all the does should be bred... But I could have buck scent on me at any time. I can tell you, he won't be getting more snuggles!!! Thanks everyone for your concern..this is the only place that I could look for help with this one...not really "Facebook appropriate"...

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
^^^^ lol I hear ya. Some of my friends just drop their jaw and look at he on some of my animal related story's ;) let me tell you I to this day never told anyone my cow tried to hump me till now lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts