Thor!?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, May 3, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Thor...isnt looking too good today, he's acting tired and stiff.
    he's drinking but isnt interested in food, he was laying by himself, with his head hanging down...i thought he might have been getting beat up by the new boys so i separated him...could it be the heat? we set a new record yesterday....usually its 60 degrees now, but today it's 72...ugh.

I'm thinking some nutri drench, and fortified vit B will help? I have an order coming in soon with new clippers, probios and some other things but theyre not in yet. when i get the clippers everybodys getting a trim, theyre overheating.

thanks

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try the nutridrench first, and make sure he is drinking plenty. It may be the warm weather, I know I wouldn't be comfortable in fur at that temp.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if he was getting beat up and then the heat...it might take him a bit to bounce back. Keep him hydrated if needed and nutri drench wouldnt hurt him at all so yup give him some of that

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, he's probably just sluggish from the heat and/or fighting with the other goats. I know the first few hot days we have here, mine don't want to do much of anything...

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Did you take his temperature? If no temp then its probably the weather change, but a big weather change can also bring on pneumonia quickly. Shelly

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    no I havent taken a temp...he's acting better now that theres shade though, and the nutri drench seems to be working.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, I'd say its the heat. Agree with the nutridrench, and keep him hydrated, might want to put some electrolytes in the water for them. Also, check the water trough - some of mine wont drink if the water warms up a bit in there - so I freeze 3L bottles of water and throw it in the trough to keep it cool.

Another thing I do if some of my boys are getting too hot - take the hose and trickle water over their horns, doesnt matter if you get it on their face too. You have to hold them still for a minute but then they realise they actually enjoy it - mine drink the water running down their face at the same time. I've found if you try to spray their body, they run off, but wet down their horns and they love it. I guess it makes sense since they lose heat through their horns. Of course, that is no help at all if your goaties dont have horns :)

For some reason my boys seem to overheat more in the summer than the girls :?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is definitely the heat.......I would watch him though ...as sometimes when the weather changes so abruptly ...that they may get pneumonia... :wink: :hug:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    good idea with the water, i just got my hose unthawed...

and thor has horns so that might work

I'll put some cold cold gatorade in his water...last year i trained him to drink water from a soda bottle!!
    :greengrin:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So how is thor doing....?

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Wow! It's been 85-90 here. My goats have been okay. Is the water in a shady place to keep it cool? I'm assuming Thor is a fiber goat?

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    He's doing alot better, I think he was just getting pushed around too much.

dreamchaser- nope, he's boer. My goats are acclimated to Alaska, to them; 70F is melting (me too!) lol.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad to hear is doing OK.... :) ............

so sorry he is getting picked on....to bad ...you couldn't move him to another pen... :(

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Oh okay. Wow! I knew that Alaska was cold, but I guess I didn't realise that 70 was hot! *Laughs* 70 is the perfect temperature to me, no cooler, no warmer. I'm melting now, and it will get to about 120 some days before the summer is out. It freezes pretty good here too, though, so it's a weird climate. It's the high desert.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I agree, I would love to live somewhere that is 70 all year round.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that would be... so perfect...... :wink: :)

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    pam..I did move thor in with the cashmeres (who are sold :clap: ) and another doe. so he's happy. :thumb:

I'll have to get some spring pics of alaska...the mountains have snow but everything else is going green. :)

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is good news about thor......and you put him in with a girl.... :wink: Yup he is happy LOL :greengrin:

Oh ...we'd love to see pics of Alaska now........that would be so neat.......... :love: :greengrin: