Those of you in PA....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jun 15, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never seen this around here before but there has been an ABUNDANT growth in the last few months..... it is Deadly Hemlock, or as most know it as poison hemlock. I am a nut case when it comes to hay for my goats and I will literally shred a bale to inspect it for mold or anything toxic...milkweed etc.

Heres the link for the PA Dept Ag pages for common toxic plants....just thought I'd give a heads up because this is the first time I've encountered it here.

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poiso ... ppoiso.htm

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poison/common.htm

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Well that sucks! That looks eerily similar to Queen Anne's Lace. Guess I'll be double checking the new pasture before fencing anything in. I already have to clear rhodies.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Shell...there is a very definate difference that you will notice between the hemlock and queen annes lace...the hemlock has a very thick stem and the leaves are different looking too, you'll definately know it's not QAL.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    No, I meant I couldn't just eye sweep for the flowers... because they're close to the same. I'd have to check each plant. lol Thanks for the heads up though.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz....I read your post and then on our way into town tonight I noticed a bunch growing on the sides of the road and in fence rows! I don't think I have any in the areas my boys go, but I will for sure be checking tomorrow.....I am like you, always checking their areas for things growing they shouldn't have.
    Thanks for the info and heads up!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think it's extremely wierd that it is suddenly popping up....and very scary too, a fairly well known breeder in SC lost a few of her goats as well as had a few very sick because this plant was in the hay she fed them, very sad too because this plant looks so much like Q A L that it would be easy to mistake it when it is dry. The ones I've seen growing around here are tall and have very thick stems so it was easy enough to identify.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep......to me it looks more like a bush...Hubby knew what it was, but never thought about it getting into the hay field.......as we were driving up our lane last night I was checking out our neighbors hay field as that's who I buy my hay from.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It's been a crazy spring. Here in central KY we've had a TON of rain since May 1st - over 10 inches just last month! And I was just recently reading on a local newschannel's website that several farmers are losing cattle - so much so that they are trying to declare it a state of emergency <something like that> with the US Ag. so the farmers can get help in all their loses. The deaths are being caused by bloat. Clover has been growing faster than usual with all the rain and the cattle have been eating it up which is in return. killing them :(

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Well.... I need to check my whole property. I'm 99% sure I discovered this near my front porch today. I tore it out by the roots and threw it on the burnpile DH had going. Ugh. :sigh:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If I can, I'll get some pics of the stuff thats growing around here... if it's not one worry it's another.

11. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    And also an identifier of Queen Anne's Lace is it has that little deep red dot in the middle of the flower and I think it is slightly bigger than poisonous hemlock too.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You're right there MiGoat...the flower of hemlock is smaller than QAL....And it doesn't have that pretty little "dot" in the center. Still working on getting those pics!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Finally got pics uploaded!! This is definately different looking than QAL...
    [​IMG]
    The leaves are "fernlike" as opposed to feathery
    [​IMG]
    The flower clusters are not as dense as QAL
    [​IMG]
    The stem is smooth and cane like, not fuzzy.

14. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've been sort of busy, so I didn't get a chance to say I took some cell phone pictures of that plant I pulled out.
    This looks like the same stuff to me (my flowers look a little more flower-ish), what do you think Liz? I haven't seen any more of it yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Shell...that is Poison Hemlock, So glad you found it! ( not glad you have it on your property but glad you found it before the critters did)

Looks like it was trying to hide in the crown vetch...I have a bunch of that here too.

16. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    This is right behind my raised bed garden for tomatoes. I also have nightshade on my property @@

I'll be hunting these plants all freaking summer. lol